• Yazin_al-Dayni - June 8, 2010 9:57 a.m.

No Nobuo Uematsu??? that is actually embarrassing...
  • jmcgrotty - June 8, 2010 6:46 a.m.

Add me in the category of poeple who think Tommy Tallarico should have been included. Unless the list given is just current composers.
  • SandroTheMaster - June 8, 2010 4:41 a.m.

These subjective lists are worthless in sites. They're for blogs and facebook. The "Top 7" works better because its about obscure trivia. But that won't stop me from coming with my 2 cents of commentary. First off: I don't care about Nobuo much, nice but there are better in my opinion. Jeremy Soule (Morrowind) was already mentioned, so I won't dwell at him. The duo Paul Romero and Rob King (Heroes of Might and Magic II) are my personal favorites. To put it simply: Their composition at Heroes II was a contributing factor to make that game turn me into a Gamer, as opposed to "someone who plays at occasion", and I had already experimented Doom! So I have a soft spot for these two. Then there's Pierre Esteve. Sure, the only game he composed to, in my knowledge, is Black Moon Chronicles, a game that's a particularly obscure cult at best and a forgotten RTS bugfest at worst. But the fact that his score is easily available in the Internet while the game itself is absolutely nowhere says something about it.
  • Rodelmar - June 8, 2010 2:55 a.m.

Dude, c'mon... How in the heavens could you forget Nobuo Uematsu (final fantasy), Akira Yamaoka (silent hill) and Michiru Yamane (castlevania)... They're way better than those "war music" guys. Of curse they all are Kondo's bitches, but if you listen to compositions like "FF 1 Town" by Uematsu, "True" by Yamaoka or "Forest of jigramut" by Yamane, you'll see your huge huge mistake.
  • SkyDragonc5 - June 8, 2010 2:21 a.m.

I will always have great respect for Music in games. If it's good it makes the game. That was the main reason I loved Mirrors Edge. I love all the work from these artists. Thanks for profiling them!
  • garnsr - June 8, 2010 2:15 a.m.

Yuzo Koshiro and Tommy Tallarico are the only names that pop into my head when you mention composers I like (I'm not sure which games Uematsu did, I think they were after I stopped playing FF.) I think they're a bit old, though, maybe you wouldn't consider 8 or 16-bit to be "composing."
  • atomgrad - June 7, 2010 11:57 p.m.

Holy shit who knew an article about fucking game composers could create such a shitstorm! Great article, my favourite composer is Hideki Naganuma for his awesome work on the Jet Grind Radio series.
  • joeleblin - June 7, 2010 11:29 p.m.

You are obviously missing Nobuo Uematsu. He defined Final Fantasy with its music.
  • sofaku - June 7, 2010 11:26 p.m.

these guys are all INCREDIBLY but wheres JoCo?
  • Tomkins - June 7, 2010 11:07 p.m.

I love Jack Wall, he's probably my favourite ever composer, I just can't stop listening to the ME sounds tracks. Also I thought Hans Zimmers music was the best part of CoD:MW2.
  • nemesisuprising - June 7, 2010 11:05 p.m.

...where the hell is Yoko Shiomura?
  • Whoissheandwhydidshesayit - June 7, 2010 10:30 p.m.

Ummm hello? Nobuo Uematsu?
  • jadehill2001 - June 7, 2010 10:29 p.m.

You should be ashamed of yourselves for not putting Akira Yamaoka in this list. The guy put the atmosphere into those games with his stuff. Songs like Room of Angel and Letters from Lost Days are amazing. He will be sorely missed from that series since his resignation from Konami.
  • eternal85_gamesradar - June 7, 2010 10:27 p.m.

I have to throw in some love for Yasunori Mitsuda as well ... Imagine Chrono Trigger or Xenogears and then imagine different music ... I THINK NOT!!!!!!!! David Wise also, somebody try and tell me Bramble Scramble didn't have the best level music ever?
  • Felixthecat - June 7, 2010 10:03 p.m.

I agree with the list, to an extent. Koji Kondo is my favourite. The man is a genius. But I concur with dannymc, Bill Elm and Woody Jackson are great composers. The entire score to Red Dead is utterly amazing. However, I would add one more name to this list - Mahito Yokota. He worked with Kondo on the Mario Galaxy soundtrack, and the SMG soundtrack is one of my favourites in any game. It actually made Mario feel "mature" to me, and Kondo can't take all the credit on SMG afterall... But yeah, Hans Zimmer? What? He composed the soundtrack to one game. To make it better, he composed a soundtrack to a game that isn't very good at all.
  • jamesslater - June 7, 2010 9:59 p.m.

@cheezitmonster, the soundtrack to the Super Mario Galaxy games was mostly composed by Mahito Yokota, who also worked on Donkey Kong Jungle Beat and wrote the trailer music to Twilight Princess. I'd like to give props to Toru Minegishi, who has been composing for the Zelda series since Majora's Mask. The tune from the Call of Duty soundtrack is also a classic hymn tune, but I can't remember what it's called...
  • CH3BURASHKA - June 7, 2010 9:54 p.m.

All of the Japanese composers are a given: they shit pure gold and gemstones. Ko Otani especially. Something to think about: Cracked ran a story about composers who stole their music. Apparently, Gregson Williams was very 'inspired' a Russian composer, Sviridov. Now, it's hard to imagine that piece played without thinking of Snake. I can't find the Cracked article, but Destructoid posted something similar: http://www.destructoid.com/metal-gear-solid-theme-plagiarized-john-carpenter-nods-vigorously--51267.phtml Also, why no David Wise? Come on, Meik, he's your fellow Englishman!
  • civver - June 7, 2010 9:27 p.m.

Where's Frank Klepacki? This list is disappointingly incomplete.
  • gilgamesh310 - June 7, 2010 9:24 p.m.

@sandman89 Vigil was in mass effect 2. It was played when you confront Ashley on Horizen but only briefly played. It's easily the best music out of the two games and Im glad the editor had the sense to put it there considering he left out nonuo uematsu completely.
  • cheezitmonster - June 7, 2010 9:11 p.m.

Personally, my favorite work of Koji Kondo is the score for Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2