Project Titan won't be a subscription-based MMORPG
The franchise future
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
Blizzard is deciding on a new direction for Project Titan, but president Mike Morhaime locked down one detail on the nebulous game: it's unlikely to be a subscription-based MMO. Morhaime addressed Blizzard's uncharacteristically diverse slate of upcoming titles in an Activision Blizzard conference call with investors.
World of Warcraft continues to leak subscribers worldwide, albeit at a slower pace. Morhaime said the world's largest subscription-based MMORPG stood at 7.7 million players as of June 31; the 600,000 player loss was split evenly between Eastern and Western consumers.
In other projects, Blizzard All-Stars has reached a significant internal milestone, Morhaime said, and more news will come later this year after a long period of radio silence. On top of that, external testing for Warcraft-themed card battler Hearthstone very soon--Morhaime noted this will be the first time Blizzard has announced and shipped a new title in the same year.
The rest of Activision is remaining cautious about the upcoming year. CEO Bobby Kotick said it may be particularly challenging, as several titles that compete with Activision's strongest franchises--like Battlefield 4 and Disney Infinity--are set to launch alongside them. That said, retailers have reserved 20 percent more shelf space Skylanders Swap Force than they did for Skylanders Giants, so it looks like the figurine based franchise is set for a third round of Christmas hysteria.
Activision Blizzard pulled in $1.05 billion in net revenues from April through June quarter compared to $1.08 billion in the same period last year. Its net income totaled $324 million, compared to $185 million last year.
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more

I got a BA in journalism from Central Michigan University - though the best education I received there was from CM Life, its student-run newspaper. Long before that, I started pursuing my degree in video games by bugging my older brother to let me play Zelda on the Super Nintendo. I've previously been a news intern for GameSpot, a news writer for CVG, and was formerly a staff writer at GamesRadar.


