This Friday, join together with some comic book greats and don't wear pants - for a good cause.
This irreverent initiative is 'No Pants Day,' a pandemic weariness-induced special day organized by cartoonists from the comic strip community to raise awareness (and money) for charities that help get clothing to those who need it.
Popular strips such as Dennis the Menace, Blondie, Sally Forth, Hi and Lois, Shoe, Prince Valiant, Dick Tracy, and more are taking part in this novel partnership across various comic strip companies King Features Syndicate, Tribune Content Agency, Andrew McMeel University, and WPWG.
"It's been a tough year for so many people, and we know that everyone could use a good laugh as well as a helping hand," says King Features' comics editor Tea Fougner in the announcement. "No Pants Day felt like the perfect opportunity to use a bit of irreverent humor to share a laugh while also shining a spotlight on nonprofits across the country that are getting much-needed clothing items into the hands of people facing financial hardships."
At the current count, 29 comic strips will be taking part in 'No Pants Day' on May 7. They are:
- Rhymes with Orange by Rina Piccolo
- Zippy the Pinhead by Bill Griffith
- Gearhead Gertie by Mike Smith
- Barney Google and Snuffy Smith by John Rose
- Mallard Fillmore by Bruce Tinsley
- Arctic Circle by Alex Hallatt
- Dennis the Menace by Marcus Hamilton
- Blondie by Dean Young and John Marshall
- Pardon My Planet by Vic Lee
- Rae the Doe by Olive Brinker
- Mark Trail by Jules Rivera
- Intelligent Life by David Reddick
- Macanudo by Liniers
- On the Fastrack by Bill Holbrook
- Bizarro by Wayno
- Sally Forth by Francesco Marciuliano & Jim Keefe
- Hi and Lois by Brian Walker & Chance Browne
- Marvin by Tom Armstrong
- The Lockhorns by Bunny Hoest
- Shoe by Gary Brookins
- Political Cartoons by David Hitch
- Spats by Jeff Pickering
- Prince Valiant by Hal Foster (Social media only)
- Dick Tracy by Joe Staton and Mike Curtis
- Brewster Rockit by Tim Rickard
- Barney & Clyde by Gene Weingarten, Dan Weingarten & David Clark
- Loose Parts by Dave Blazek
- Off The Mark by Mark Parisi
- Mount Pleasant by Rick McKee and Kent Sligh
To date, Hallmark hasn't enshrined 'No Pants Day' as an official holiday ... but give it some time.
Virtually all the major comic book strips are available digitally. Check out our list of the best digital comic readers for Android and iOS devices.