• JacksonShadow - May 22, 2013 10:49 p.m.

The two big issues on everyone's mind about Microsoft new system are the same ones that have been for the last two months. Is it always online? Can it play used games? Vague responses from Microsoft, while not clear or useful, are being taken by many as affirmative on both subjects. The problem though is that they're being taken as affirmations because people made up their minds long before we saw the new console. When you think about the prospect of being always online it scared people, a lot start thinking about security issues, and control issues, and things of that like which is a natural assumption, especially in our electronic age. What they aren't considering is how many people are already always online. The truth is whether you have an Xbox 360 or a PS3,if you use Xbox Live or the PlayStation Network you are in fact always online. While there are users that don't use either service and do enjoy the use of their systems is it really such a large number that a daily check in, a hardware usage check more likely than not, a deal breaker for the rest of us? Never mind Microsoft for a second though, what about Sony and their stated plans to move away from physical media as much as possible within the next generation. They are looking into engineering a system that uses digital only media. What will people do without a connection then? The industry, not just Microsoft, not just Sony, is moving in that direction. More and more gaming is an expensive hobby and it was never cheap to begin with but now, the technology and the companies using it have very specific plans. Welcome to the future, plug in and play your games, watch TV, search the Web, do your homework. We're hitting that point where the living room appliances and desktop PCs are starting to hybridize. We're getting to that weird part of our existence where the lower end of science fiction is coming true. On the subject of playing used games I've read a few things, including someone saying that Gamestop was dying because Microsoft is killing them. To that I say a few things, 1) let them. Hell, watch them burn and pour on some gasoline. As a gamer and a former employee I've never been exposed to such an awful company as Gamestop and I would happily see them go the way of the Buffalo if not dying completely. They treat employees like disposal paper cups, they have no standard as to product care, the upper management is self serving and petty, and depending on who you deal with they have no integrity. 2) Gamestops own bad business decisions, mistreatment of product, and poor planning is the only thing to blame for whether or not they will die. Did you know that for most preowned titles the amount of profit Gamestop makes is between 25 and 70 percent? When you sell a game to them they have a set internal rate based on demand for a title/product. That rate is the lowest likely rate they can allow themselves to pay. Once the product is ready to be sold again however it gets a markup dependant on the same factor. That's why last year's sports game will trade for a dollar but sell for $35. The compani s that manufacture and package the games in the first place only make money off of the first sell. Anytime money trades hands in a Gamestop after that it all belongs to Gamestop. Because of that publishers weren't making as much money as they felt they ought to and we ended up with season passes, dlc codes, multiplayer activation passes, and so on By saying that the X1 would require a newly purchased code for use with a game disc on your profile Microsoft is saying that you're going to have to pay the publisher for the game they made even if you bought it second hand. They aren't trying to kill Gamestop they're trying to keep companies like THQ from ending up the way they did. They're trying to keep the masses happy by giving money to people who both need and deserve it. (hopefully) The term full price is a sketchy term admittedly. Over the last few years standard "full price" for a new video game has been $64.94 tax and all. As well know however a preowned title can range in price from $2.99 to $54.99 so what exactly is full price for a preowned game with a newly generated usage code? I admit that I'm not fond of the idea of having to pay nearly seventy dollars for a preowned game, especially with how well Gamestop takes care of their product but at the same time I am curious how this end of the industry will be handled. I have no issue with Gamestop disappearing, I don't need to by games from them and the obvious direction the industry is moving is taking us away from physical games. These are my opinions based on what I've read here and there over the last few months. What I find most interesting about Microsoft new system is that we have officially known about it for a day, there is still way too much that we don't know about it, but in spite of that the popular opinion is to hate it as though it exists only for that reason. As gamers we are meant to be curious and ask questions, we're supposed to flip every rock and find all of our answers wide eyed and full of wonder, we're the supposed to be geeks who love this stuff. But then again, we used to do more than just play sports games and Call of Duty.
  • lordgodalming - May 23, 2013 1:04 a.m.

Thank you, Microsoft PR person "JacksonShadow" who created this account today, probably so you could write this post. Your argument has the perfect amount of rational plea and slight disappointment, but with the problems that it's too long and doesn't make any sense. The industry may eventually go all online all the time, but I can think of no single piece of technology that requires me to be online once a day to function, including my smartphone. I can turn off the internet for the rest of my life and it will still function as a phone. The Xbox goes offline for a day and becomes a very pretty paperweight. Second and more importantly, there are many, many people in the world--gamers, even!-- who simply can't get online everyday. Microsoft is essentially telling them and the rest of us that they don't want people without internet to buy their console. How is that different than Abercrombie & Fitch saying it only wants "beautiful" people to wear their clothes? The only thing true thing you said is that Gamestop sucks the root. Totally with you on that one. Anyway, I hope MS is paying you what you're worth, because you're a good writer. Cheers.
  • Dasoulink - May 23, 2013 11:23 a.m.

I think what Jacksonshadow is saying it is more about evolving than need, sure you can cut off the data plan for your smartphone but then it isn't so smart now is it? If we all just wanted simple cell phones then the iPhone and android would have died by now. Always connected is not necessary for x1 to function it is just a part of what makes it function smartly
  • Dasoulink - May 23, 2013 6:57 p.m.

On both posts I see your point and it is warranted. As i sit and go over the MS track record and take into consideration the announcements from yesterday I find myself somewhat perplexed....A reincarnation of MS studios for 15 different games to be released in one year eight of which are new,a 400 million dollar partnership with the NFL, a full blown television studio, and a already several million plus strong already installed user base on the heels of E3 and MS is going to commit financial suicide???
  • Dasoulink - May 23, 2013 7:27 p.m.

If this console must phone home to function properly, if DRM for games becomes a huge topic not much unlike buying a large soda in NYC, and there is not a definitive plan for used games then I would have to say MS has made a tremendous mistake. But I still have the belief that the reveal was more of an effort to grasp non core gamers(and core gamers will be better served at E3), that there is more to this phoning home once a day(perhaps helping to eliminate modded consoles from being connected for example) and that there is a plan for DRM that can work and not be draconian much like the Steam service we use for pc gaming. I might add also that if the current circumstances hold up and one buys a game loads it onto the X1 enters in the license and the disc becomes a coaster and the architecture of the system is congruent to that of a pc then a X1 installed user base means more developers flocking to make games for the X1 as their sales grow due to a license being needed for every game to be played.
  • Dasoulink - May 23, 2013 7:33 p.m.

And just one more thing on the analogy I think we all have become so used to being "connected" with our smart phone devices we somewhat take it for granted, yes its true wifi is an option and some carriers do push the envelope but we use our smart devices for everything BECAUSE they are always connected...shopping, research, espn, banking,radio listening, gaming,streaming video, gps, email etc...if it were not connected it would be pretty much naught BUT a phone.
  • Dasoulink - May 24, 2013 9:26 a.m.

Great replies, my first video game played was pong to help give away my generation, so I completely understand the online slash oxygen comment. The camera itself is also a concern especially coupled with a seemingly " always connected" device. Dare I speak cyberdyne systems in the same sentence as kinect or drones? And from a media standpoint this console is "trusted to run it all"...LOL. I appreciate your intelligent non insulting exchanges..Thank you and I agree MS has major questions to answer and not post console release but sooner.
  • JacksonShadow - May 24, 2013 1:03 p.m.

More or less. What I'm ultimately trying to say is that like any major investment we ought to sort the details before deciding it isn't for us. I think the only people backing this thing blindly are Microsoft employees and fan boys. As I mentioned before the console and the tech intrigue me and curse me for dreaming but even awkward stomps forward are attention grabbers for me. It's going to be ugly for Microsoft, it already is, but it's not going to sink them or do any damage that is irreparable.
  • usmovers_02 - May 23, 2013 8:05 a.m.

Omg! A voice of reason. Go away. You're type isn't welcome on the internet. People just need to chill until we have all the facts.
  • ParagonT - May 23, 2013 9:22 a.m.

We do have facts, we have statements.
  • ParagonT - May 23, 2013 9:10 a.m.

"The problem though is that they're being taken as affirmations because people made up their minds long before we saw the new console." How exactly is it affirmations? How is it considered vague? I thought it was specific and straightforward as you can get. "let them burn....etc..." How is this Gamestop's fault? I don't like Gamestop as much as the next person, but its better than having nowhere to flip your games at. Your trying to tell us that when a corporation that has bad practices and takes out another one with not as aggressive practices, we should rejoice? Why? Because now were twice as screwed? Gamestop, although ripping you off, at least gives you something in the form of a return; cheaper games and at least a little bit of money for games that will devalue over time. Microsoft is now taking away a big chunk of our games and now restricting us to buying where they deem fit, how they deem fit, and at what price they deem fit. How is that better? "By saying that the X1 would require a newly purchased code for use with a game disc on your profile Microsoft is saying that you're going to have to pay the publisher for the game they made even if you bought it second hand. They aren't trying to kill Gamestop they're trying to keep companies like THQ from ending up the way they did. They're trying to keep the masses happy by giving money to people who both need and deserve it. (hopefully)" Why exactly are we the ones at fault here? Because we want to get our games cheaper? How is that illegal? That's a ridiculous statement and is only fueled by their constant bombardment of "pity us, were going under" crap that is most likely not true. Used games have been around forever, yet it has not been a major concern as it is now. The real problem is that these developers and publishers keep raising the budget for their games and they cannot sustain themselves due to how high of a return they expect to make. So they make us gamer's believe that were the problem when they're actually the ones just getting too close to the sun. People can make these judgments rightfully and logically. Just as much as you may think things will turn around, you could also be far from the truth as we. But we already have statements to back our thinking, whereas those hopeful have their brand loyalty and hope.
  • Jrr6415sun - May 24, 2013 midnight

If I buy a book, should my friend have to pay the author if I lend it to him or if I give it to him? The fact is that the author already received money for the book it doesn't deserve anymore. If I give my bike to my friend should they have to pay a fee to the manufacturer in order to ride it? if I sell my tv should the buyer have to pay Sony in order to turn it on? Why does Microsoft think its so special that it deserves money twice for the same product? If the creator wants to receive more money it should make better games that people want to keep and not trade away immediately. The better the game the higher the replay value the more likely the player will keep it which makes the 2nd player more likely to buy new than used. Anyone who believes that not having used games is blinded by Microsoft
  • Dasoulink - May 24, 2013 9:46 a.m.

You know you have a point and just today I was shooting around a idea and sorry if this has already been mentioned but....what if a system were to be created much like the system used by our tablets? Where you can reserve and check out a digital book or magazine form the library providing you have a account and after some time it must be checked back in or it just ceases to function on your device? So we have the X1. we purchase lets say Halo 5 box version. It has to be loaded on the console ok so be it. After some time we want to move on, and maybe there are apps accessible from the X1 that allows us to check the digital item in to gamestop best buy amazon or even microsoft for that matter. We receive compensation based on the age and popularity of the item in virtual money or via paypal or something. The next gamer comes along and checks the item out of say gamestop, and pays them a fee and they in turn cut the publisher a slice of the pizza say 8 to 10% of the sale. Gamers are encouraged to buy new because they can still sell after they play , gamestop still gets to leverage their used game business and the publishers get something as these items continue to get sold and resold. And if you expand on the idea maybe direct exchange can be set up gamer to gamer or gamer to publisher.
  • ZeeCaptain - May 24, 2013 4:52 p.m.

Why are you writing this like its your psychology essay final, your talking to your fellow gamers not your fellow college students. I'm not saying were not intelligent, we just don't want to read through all this crap to get down to your two very ill-made points.
  • Nocturne989 - May 22, 2013 10:44 p.m.

I suspect that if the smoke and mirrors around Microsoft (and to a far lesser extent Sony) aren't resolved, Nintendo could possibly regain the crown of the king of the consoles. We know that the Wii U plays used games, isn't always online, is backwards compatible, is indie developer friendly, has tons of classics either available or on the way to the Virtual Console, and has some awesome first and third party games on the way. You can't lie about a console that is already available. My gaming life started with Nintendo and now it seems like Nintendo is headed back to the top of the mountain of the consoles.
  • Dasoulink - May 22, 2013 10:40 p.m.

I am still trying to grasp why "always connected" is the deciding factor for so many..
  • Redeater - May 22, 2013 11:26 p.m.

......seriously? There are many reasons but my personal bitch is that all of the games you own could be rendered obsolete whenever MS decides to shut down the servers.
  • Dasoulink - May 23, 2013 12:56 p.m.

Correct me if I am wrong Redeater but upon purchase would we not own the digital rights to the item ? Much in the same way Steam does business?
  • Dasoulink - May 23, 2013 1:08 p.m.

Maybe I am missing something here. But it seems to me we have a example to follow that is tangible....steam..we purchase a game as a digital download, we own the rights to use it and we play it, if our pc loses power or or internet goes down or a mobo fries once we are back up we sign in and we go back to playing. Now I dig the gray areas and MS should be clear but as much as we can be negative we can also be positive...What if these games are all at some point available via digital download like Steam and they become DISCOUNTED and bundled like Steam and on top of that we are allowed to sell the rights to fellow gamers once we are done unlike Steam? Would not publishers kill for such a system if it had a large following?