Topics

DRM Xbox 720

• austinfloyd85 - May 17, 2013 10:09 p.m.

All I'm saying is I know which system I'll be getting if online is required.
  • mikehoncho - May 17, 2013 9:47 p.m.

My guess is that publishers will have the option to make games be always online but that decision will be up to the publishers to make. That way if someone wants to do it they can, and those publishers won't be driven away from the system if they want extra security in the games they make.
  • pokepark7 - May 17, 2013 8:32 p.m.

I wouldn't even want this b/c then every one would be getting notifications ever 4 seconds that someone did some simple thing.
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 6:04 p.m.

I was gonna make fun of this article at first, but then felt bad upon realizing that the writer sure put a lot of effort and research into it... Which i feel it's kind of a shame because all his work will only be relevant in the case the the new X-Box turned out to be Always-online. In the case it isn't, the majority of what is in this article would be pointless in hindsight. So, I applaud Mr. Dunn for putting some serious research and effort into this, but shouldn't he have waited to see if this would actually become a thing?
  • jeff-dunn - May 17, 2013 7:22 p.m.

Very much appreciated. Trust me that was definitely going through my mind as I did all this. Personally, I don't think the next Xbox will be always-on. Most people I talk to feel the same way. Buuuut, I like to think of this as looking at our readiness for always-on as a general concept. So far Microsoft is the only name that's been heavily tied to the tech, so we used them as a point of reference. I think the days of always-on consoles are coming sooner or later--and it may not be so terrible when it does happen--so I figured it'd be worth looking at how far we are from getting to that point comfortably. So yeah, this'll probably be less evergreen in a couple days, but I don't think this idea is going to completely go away just yet. Plus I hope this is just some handy info to know.
  • BladedFalcon - May 17, 2013 7:35 p.m.

That is a very good point to bring up. Whether we like it or not, Always online is definitely a model that is being considered, and if it's not Microsoft now, someone else might wanna pursuit it in a couple more years. So yeah, in that sense, this kind of research is definitely handy to have in hand. Specially because it kinda drives the point home that we're not really there yet. At least, not in a way that won't exclude and alienate a significant amount of the potential consumer.
  • garnsr - May 17, 2013 10:37 p.m.

Sometimes it's nice to know how things are even if we have no need right now to know. This article isn't all about the new Xbox, it's about the state of the internet in the world. It's interesting to hear about how things are in smaller countries than the US, where it's easier to wire everyone in, and how some parts of Europe have better internet than others. It's interesting to hear that Japan has such high speed interenet, but I'd always heard people don't really have it in their homes, so is it just available, but not being used? Even if Microsoft or Sony have no plan to require us all to be online all the time, this article has a lot of information about how we're currently using the internet, and how it might need to be used in the future. I liked it.
  • StrayGator - May 17, 2013 5:57 p.m.

if it can mine bitcoins efficiently then sure, why not.