• patbateman17 - April 5, 2012 12:28 p.m.

Total bullshit this isn't on the PS3. There I said it, yes I love my PS3.
  • The_Tingler - April 6, 2012 2:31 a.m.

Yeah, it's annoying I know. Unfortunately CDP are quite a small developer and it's very hard to port to PS3 - it's just easier to port to 360 from PC. Remember how long it took Valve to start doing PS3 games?
  • patbateman17 - April 6, 2012 6:13 a.m.

Yeah but there's really no technical reason for Valve's delays there. Look at other companies who had relative parity between 360 and PS3 - I think the whole "hard to port to ps3" thing is just bs at this point. Why can some developers do it so well and others can't? Doesn't make sense to me. Having said that, right since CDP is a "relatively" small dev, then it makes sense they can't devote so many people to porting all the time otherwise it will delay their newer games. Sucks but I guess that's that.
  • viberunner - April 6, 2012 8:28 a.m.

It's true though. It takes *specialist* developers who understand the PS3 to get it right... and even then it can be a difficult taks (look at Skyrim on the PS3, has taken many months to get running at a decent frame-rate). The PS is a console that is nothing like a PC. It requires specialist engineering to make a PC game run on a PS3, it has specialist PS3-only chips, along with PS3-ways of thinking about data and processor workflows. The Xbox is a console that IS a PC. X-box. Literally "Direct-X in a box". If you know the PC you already know most of what you need to know to get a game running on the Xbox. It might be with the revenues provided by the Xbox 360 release they can afford to hire senior specialist engineers with large amounts of SONY-specific knowledge.
  • patbateman17 - April 6, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Is that really how they came up with the name? That's the first I've ever heard it :) I know I know - I just want to gripe about it because the Witcher looks awesome haha. Ah well.
  • db1331 - April 5, 2012 12:27 p.m.

This scares me. CDP is one of the best devs out there right now, in terms of the quality of their games and their unrivaled customer service. They are what BioWare used to be before they started making console games. I'd be really sad to see the same thing happen to CDP.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 5, 2012 1:24 p.m.

I've actually found very nice customer service from BioWare in the last month, and I still don't see the quality of their games diminishing--console or not. However, I will say I played Mass Effect 3 on the PC with 60fps, and that was the catalyst that made me want to work my ass off this summer to get a nice gaming rig. I know you're a computer expert, how much would a gaming desktop be in order to run a game like The Witcher 2? I think I'll pass on this console version in favor of the (better) PC version.
  • db1331 - April 5, 2012 1:43 p.m.

Mass Effect 3? THAT was what made you want a PC? Sure it looks and runs much better on PC, but you should try something like Skyrim. If you were impressed by ME 3, Skyrim with mods would probably make your head explode. You could probably spend as little as $600 and get something that would run TW 2 better than the 360 could. For $800 or a little more, you could probably run it maxed out. These prices are assuming you are going to build your own. Obviously a pre-built will cost more. If you do get a rig though, check out the original Witcher first. As good as TW 2 is, the first game was better in every regard, save the combat. Plus you can import your character, including armor, swords, and even some gold, from the first game into the second. The Witcher goes on sale for $10 or less all the time. Sometimes they even give you a free copy when you buy TW 2.
  • Brutalicus - April 5, 2012 3:10 p.m.

The first game's pace is geologic compared to the second. I was bored to tears and never got past hour 10 or so, whereas the sequel hooks you in the prologue. I hear good things about the original, but I just can't do it.
  • db1331 - April 5, 2012 6:25 p.m.

A lot of people say it starts off too slowly (I disagree), but almost everyone agrees it gets really good in Chapter 2. I'd recommend giving it another go.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 5, 2012 6:28 p.m.

Haha, reminds me of Mass Effect 1. I got it because of the hype of some classmates. They played it and lauded it as one the best RPGs ever. So, I got it. Played it for a few hours. Then stashed it away for a good month before replaying it and falling in love with it. Hell, some of the best games have slow beginnings. Just take KOTOR for example.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 5, 2012 3:26 p.m.

It wasn't just Mass Effect that got me (trust me, I've been following Betheda mods since Oblivion--I could play that shit for hours), it was just how... smooth it was in comparison. Look, I don't know if you've played them on the consoles, but cut the playability and framerate in half. It's like you're constantly lagging. But thanks for the advice! I'll be keeping this stuff in mind, and I have a few friends who can show me the ropes of building my own to save a couple hundred dollars.
  • db1331 - April 5, 2012 6:30 p.m.

I haven't played any of the Mass Effect series on console, but I do own a PS3, and trust me, I know the difference between 30fps and 60fps. That's why I play those games on PC. And you're welcome for the advice. If I could dispense a bit more, it would be to sign up for a preferred account with Newegg and buy your parts there. Depending on how much you spend, you can get no payments and no interest for 6-12 months. The last two PCs I built, I didn't pay a single cent until I had already been enjoying them for a full year.
  • lazer59882 - April 5, 2012 4:16 p.m.

lmao at PC assholes who make up shit just to justify their ownership of a $800 gaming machine. aside from wanting their games to reach a larger audience, theres no similarity at all between bioward and cdp, and theres no reason to think cdp will "suck" now cause its making games for consoles. its just that idiotic, insular thinking that afflicts all PC gamers that leads you to think that. oh, and for the record, no one gives a fuck about customer service, know why? cause on a console you just put the game in the drive and play it, no tweaking settings or hoping your graphics card is feeling up to it necessary. i've been playing games for over 20 years and the only time i've ever had to call a customer support line was when, before getting into the 6th console generation, i was a pc-only gamer. what a miserable fucking existence that was.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 5, 2012 4:34 p.m.

That's why I'm still going to game on a console AND PC. Trust me, I hate PC Elitist as much as you do--but then again, I hate anyone who tries to condemn another gamer for their system of choice. Besides, I can get a lot of cheap-ass games on Steam, thanks to Valve being so generous. :) Not to mention PC exclusives.
  • lazer59882 - April 5, 2012 4:43 p.m.

yes pc games are cheaper. yes there are (believe it or not) still a handful of worthwhile pc exclusives a year. but for fucks sake man, there's no justifying a $800 gaming rig, when a used 360, im pretty sure, is under $200 these days. NONE. i'm not "condemning" anyone cause if you're filthy rich, prefer playing games in a chair at a desk, and love using hardware meant for typing and browsing and shit rather than hardware made for gaming (mouse and keyboard vs controller), then by all means go right ahead, do your thing. to most of us however, a slight graphics boost is worthless in comparison with all the shit i just listed. give me a couch, a controller, $600 back in my pocket, and no reason to ever, ever give a shit about customer service and i can deal with the occasional sub-amazing graphical texture.
  • hester2 - April 5, 2012 5:12 p.m.

@lazer The problem with your argument is you are assuming an $800 computer is equivalent to a $200 Xbox. I'd say an $800 computer is more likely equivalent to a $600 next-gen system. That being said, $800 is still steep. That's why you do what I did. Wait until you need a new computer for reasons other than gaming. A bottom of the line PC is, what, $400? If you get a gaming PC, that just means you're spending $400 on the games, and the other $400 is for basic computer use. Also, if you buy it prebuilt from a store, you can generally get 18 month financing, so you're only paying $50 a month. That's a water bill.
  • db1331 - April 5, 2012 6:23 p.m.

This guy is so ignorant it's staggering. I would attack him for any of the failed arguements he made in either of his posts, but I seriously wouldn't even know where to start.
  • lazer59882 - April 5, 2012 8:03 p.m.

hahahahahahaha the irony there is literally unbearable. you call me ignorant yet don't even know how to start refuting my points?? hahahah fuck off idiot.
  • samsneeze - April 6, 2012 8:43 a.m.

The Xbox 360 launched for about four hundred dollars if I remember correctly, using passable PC specs for the time. Of course the pricing is going to go down if none of the hardware is going to change and you're paying for years old technology. Now, I imagine when the new system comes out it's going to be similarly priced or most likely more using still only passable specs for gaming. So, if you're going to buy it new and at launch, I imagine it'll be anywhere between four and five hundred dollars with the processing and graphical capabilities of 2008/9 PC. I don't see how sticking with consoles is a good investment at this point. Especially when people can just build their own PC for a hundred dollars more than the projected pricing of a next gen console. You get what you pay for, it's as simple as that. In this case, you pay to get cheated.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 7, 2012 10:47 p.m.

I think you misunderstood what db1331 said in such an unbearably ignorant way, I may just vomit.
  • lazer59882 - April 8, 2012 2:18 a.m.

and you are literally the most gullible person on the internet. still waiting for him to refute a single one of my "failed arguments".