Topics

Nintendo Wii U

• db1331 - June 21, 2012 5:19 a.m.

Your logic is confusing me. You couldn't get through Wind Waker, but you love Okami. Both games follow the same formula. Hell, they even look really similar.
  • ShortFuse - June 21, 2012 7:39 a.m.

I've never fully understood Dave's stance on why he particularly likes Twilight Princess out of the newer Zelda games. Would quite like him to explain why as I personally find it, with the power of hindsight, inferior to Wind Waker. Obviously when I'm playing a new Zelda at the time I love it, but then it takes me a couple of weeks after completing it to work out where it ranks on the scale.
  • talleyXIV - June 21, 2012 2:24 p.m.

Yeah when I beat Twilight Princess for the first (and second) time I was like... WOAH that was the greatest game ever. Then I played Ocarina of Time and was like... WOAH that was kind of underwhelming. Then I played Skyward Sword and was like... WOAH this is pretty good but not as good as Ocarina of Time but better than Twilight Princess... then I was like WOAH that doesn't make any sense unless... Ocarina of Time is the best in the series. My stance on it is constantly changing, i think I was underwhelmed by OoT because I had never played it but I had always heard "BEST GAME EVER BY A BILLION MILLION KAJILLION MILES." I don't think any game can stand up to those expectations. So I am constantly switching between those three but I think once I get through Link to the Past and Majora's Mask, those will enter the mix.
  • ncurry2 - June 21, 2012 4:45 p.m.

Haha, I know what you mean. OoT was my favorite until TP came out. As soon as I finished TP, I knew it was great but I wasn't quite sure yet how great I felt about it. So I played through it again after a few months and that edged it ahead of OoT. Then I played through it again years later and it's moved even further ahead. I'm hoping to play through it again this summer to see if it still checks out (my last summer until I retire D': ) but Diablo 3 has kind of consumed me. And I just got a 3DS. But I'm still hopeful I'll get to it. I never fully appreciated Majora's Mask until I went back and played through it again, which was a long time after my initial playthrough since I felt it was too hard the first time and I messed up a save so I lost a lot of data. But that second time I played through it, it really was amazing. I'd definitely recommend you play it before LttP which was really underwhelming to me since I didn't play it until much, much later (didn't have a SNES in my youth.) Bit of a tip, you should definitely know in advance that if you play the song of time backwards, you can slow the progression of time by 2x. That makes it much more enjoyable since there is still a sense of urgency but it's not nearly as overwhelming as at normal speed. And ya, OoT must be a difficult game to play if you never played it in your youth since it has such a huge reputation to live up to (kind of like me and Portal...). It is definitely still good and there is no denying that it revolutionized not only the genre but 3D gaming as a whole. But that's still a lot of pressure for a 14 year old game to bear.
  • TheFabricOfTime - June 21, 2012 6 a.m.

I didn't like New Super Mario Bros Wii that much either. 2 player Mario is good, but 4 player Mario is just stupid.
  • avery78 - June 21, 2012 6:33 a.m.

Big Shocker that the Wii-U games look to be better than the wii.
  • Cyberninja - June 21, 2012 6:33 a.m.

Now if only it launches at the right price then it will attract both the hardcore and casual crowd.
  • shawksta - June 21, 2012 8:05 a.m.

”could-have-been-lifted-from-Viewtiful-Joe presentation.” Well duh, Platinum games tecnically is a reborn Clover Studios with new guns. Nice to see a call back style to Joe. I, never seemed to experience the Multiplayer wrechedness on NSMBW, I played with my bro, who is a gamer aswell and not a casual idiot so we botb enjoyed the game very much. Playing Single Player isnt that big when your used to it too. Either way nice analysis Dave. (inb4 Talking behind Bretts back about your opinion on WW XD))
  • DarthPunk - June 21, 2012 9:06 a.m.

I'd have to disagree with your thoughts on Twilight Princess's story. Tonally it's all over the place and the mature themes felt forced into a series which contary to some people's believes has never really been "mature"
  • shawksta - June 21, 2012 1:56 p.m.

Define Mature, technically Speaking in terms of games, Mature is simply just a rating that any game can slap if it has gore, violence and language. Somethinft actually being Mature is something you have to take to account, like how Dark a story is and how well developed it is, including the style on some circumstances. An example is Super Paper Mario, Kid friendly colorful style, Dark and Mature story depth.
  • DarthPunk - June 21, 2012 2:53 p.m.

Just some people seeming to think that all Zelda games prior to Wind Waker had deep ultra serious stories when they didn't really it was always really more a series about a child like sense of discovery
  • ObliqueZombie - June 21, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Well-spoken as ever, Dave. It really seems like the WiiU is winning this round. p.s.: I wish I had a memory as sturdy as yours.
  • rxb - June 21, 2012 12:53 p.m.

Why does it do this? I do not want it to do this. my favourite line Interesting Hooters, I think I agree with this but still doubt the WiiU selling the same way the wii did to casual gamers. Plus I think hardcore gamers will be more cautious this time round.
  • codystovall - June 21, 2012 1:17 p.m.

Just being better than the wii doesnt really mean much to me. Now being better than the gamecube or 3ds...
  • shawksta - June 21, 2012 1:52 p.m.

He's comparing the launch titles if you didnt figure that out, but pretty much its too obvious its better than the Wii. In terms of launch, it already beats GC and train wreck that was the 3DS launch
  • talleyXIV - June 21, 2012 1:50 p.m.

Pikmin 3 is going to be the console for me, just like Twilight Princess was. I played Twilight Princess for 150 hours and Pikmin 1 + 2 over 100 hours. First and second tier Nintendo games are the fucking bomb.
  • malypso - June 23, 2012 10:55 a.m.

What a ridiculous comparison! Wii games are 480p and look nothing like this on your TV, whereas Wii U games run at 720/1080p! Comparing TP with Pickmin is stupid why not Pikmin Wii U with Pikmin on Wii, with original resolution? This is trolling at its best!
  • malypso - June 23, 2012 11:03 a.m.

Or why not compare the Zelda tech demo, to Twilight Princess? That a far more accurate comparison in graphics. Granted, its a tech demo but it was running in real time showcasing the power of the Wii U!