Topics

Nintendo Wii U

• ObliqueZombie - September 13, 2012 1:56 p.m.

I WANT to buy one day-one, but being in college, I'm already laughing at the thought. But, this is going to be top on my Christmas list. Games like ZombiU, New Super Mario Bros. U (since I haven't had the means to play any modern Mario title since... Sunshine), Bayonetta II, and finally being able to play the famed Monster Hunter, on top of future prospects like Zelda and (wishful thinking initiated) Metroid Prime, I'm thoroughly excited for this game. Oh, and a robust online system? And a permanent 10% discount in the store? Stellar.
  • The_Tingler - September 13, 2012 11:47 p.m.

I have to spear a couple of games in there lest you get too excited. New Super Mario Bros is a simplistic 2D Mario, it's the Galaxy series you want first (and they'll play on Wii U, so that's okay). Monster Hunter though I personally utterly detest. Incredibly popular in Japan, almost uselessly dull everywhere else. Try before you buy that one, somehow. Listen to Radioradar 04 if you don't believe me.
  • Fuzunga - September 13, 2012 1:35 p.m.

I don't think you guys realize how easy it is to buy a cheap external hard drive.
  • Turtman - September 13, 2012 1:46 p.m.

That's not really the point. Why should you even HAVE to do that? The PS3 has a 320gb hard drive for god's sake. I don't know why console manufacturers put such a premium on hard drive cost when, like you said, its easy to get cheap hard drives.
  • ultimatepunchrod - September 13, 2012 1:46 p.m.

Has Nintendo said if using other means of storage will work like it did on Wii? Because if it does, that's not going to be fun.
  • Smash_Bro - September 13, 2012 12:48 p.m.

I like all the GR staff's opinions, as they bring up a slew of great points for and against the launch day buy. I will always buy Nintendo's consoles at launch, but unfortunately I'm still sceptical of its launch window. Bayonetta 2 is the only game I actually care about. I mean, come on, the Wii launched with Wii Sports and Twilight Princess! There are no proper first party launch games (though I don't remember if Pikmin 3 will be at launch--not that I care). So, fine, there aren't many great launch games, but I know for a fact that I'll be playing around with WiiU's other features for weeks after launch. And Black2/White2 will be keeping me occupied anyway.
  • yoyoguy - September 13, 2012 12:39 p.m.

Definitely interested since it actually has some graphical horsepower. Bayonetta 2 is irresistible for me since I loved the first one. I'll probably buy the cheaper version and spend the money on an external hard drive to store stuff.
  • BladedFalcon - September 13, 2012 12:33 p.m.

I'm pretty much with Tom Magrino on this one. And no, definitely not interested in getting one any time soon, much less day one. Although the prospect of Rayman legends, Bayonneta, and the Wonderful 101 are all very exciting, it's just not enough for me, specially because I've yet to see that Nintendo will actually learn it's lesson and have a truly committed third party support from all the other companies out there. That being said, I'm not completely against buying it one day, maybe, but that will mainly depend on how good their party support can get later on, and how good the actual next gen consoles will be.
  • robotdickens - September 13, 2012 12:26 p.m.

I think it's fair. True they may opt out and cut the price like what they did with the 3DS but even then, every single 3DS owner who paid for the initial release price got a bunch of free stuff in Nintendo's store. That's much more than I can say for the PS3. Oh snap!
  • FoxdenRacing - September 13, 2012 12:24 p.m.

An interesting selection of opinions...good read. Personally, I don't know what I'm going to do for new systems yet. I'll probably have the next Xbox, as I'm a Forza junkie and Nintendo can't offer anything that compares. But on the other hand: I want bright, colorful, fun...and bright/colorful/fun is what Nintendo does best. I'm keeping my eyes...and options...open for what I'm doing next generation
  • KnowYourPokemon - September 13, 2012 12:11 p.m.

Day one purchase, the fact they just announced it will be compatible with external usb devices for storage just made me even more thrilled to have one in reserve asap. I have external thumb drives ready for game data on the chance I use up the WiiU's memory space.
  • tehtimeisnow - September 13, 2012 12:10 p.m.

yah its definatley to expensive and i mabye would have thought abuot getting one if it was like 100 dollers cheaper and it didnt have outdated tec and grafics so i think its a much more better by to get xobx 360 with smart glass cuz seeing as how i alredy have a lot of apple stuff that wlil work for it
  • Thedigitalg - September 13, 2012 12:15 p.m.

DO NOT REPLY - CLEAR TROLL
  • SentientSquidMachine - September 13, 2012 12:28 p.m.

In all seriousness though, Smart Glass with a Windows Surface Pro, is probably going to put Nintendo to shame, from a technical perspective. To be fair, the pro is going to cost $1000, but still.
  • SentientSquidMachine - September 13, 2012 12:10 p.m.

I'll give it until Q2 of 2013 before I decide. At the moment I do not see an immediate feature that has me sold. When the PS3 came out, you got a night and day graphics overhaul, wirless connectivity, bluetooth, and a blueray player....for $600, but it was the future. The WiiU, in my opinion, does not carry that same gravitas...but for $350, it's not a bad deal. Q2, if it still looks good, I will say hello to Nintendo once again; I've missed them since my N64.
  • SentientSquidMachine - September 13, 2012 12:22 p.m.

...Just read an article about the Wii U version of Tekken Tag...I am now conflicted. Hey Nintendo, Pokemon integration of any sort, maybe a new Stadium/Coliseum(but more like stadium) would make be fantastic.
  • J-Fid - September 13, 2012 1 p.m.

Game Freak (the people who make Pokemon) have gone on record saying that they are not making anymore Pokemon RPG's on home consoles.
  • ParagonT - September 13, 2012 12:05 p.m.

I'd rather see my options before making a commitment. Wii-U just doesn't look exciting to me at the moment. The time when paying off a car looks more fun than a console is a sad day in my eyes, and so far its approaching soon. Anyway, do you get anything special at all for purchasing day one? Or did I miss something?
  • Burdmayn - September 13, 2012 12:04 p.m.

I was pretty much sold on the Wii-U but Bayonetta 2 pushed me over the edge. I'll be preordering my deluxe console later today and I couldn't be more excited. I'm even considering cancelling my ACIII (limited edition) preorder in favor of getting it for the Wii-U. That's partially due to my financial situation but still... I think it speaks enough that I'm willing to cancel my preorder for a game I have a tattoo of just so I can fit this console in my budget.
  • ShonenStyle - September 13, 2012 12:02 p.m.

Day one for me, DELUXE set please, plus im getting, Zumbi U, Mario U and trine 2 all via e-shop with the cash back i will get TW 101 once it comes out, and also Pikimin 3 ( NO ONE I KNOW WILL GET GIFTS FROM ME XD)
  • onetimebuster - September 13, 2012 noon

After paying 600 dollars for my ps3 this seems super cheap.