Topics

Nintendo Wii U

• Octaviux - September 13, 2012 4:53 p.m.

I think this price point is a major mistake and a bit baffling given the amount of cash Nintendo still has lying around from the Wii. That said I don't think they can expect even 1/4 the sales that the Wii achieved for several reasons. -Soccer moms and grandparents aren't going to buy another one, there goes half your Wii install base -the Playstation and Xbox hardcore gamers who entertained having a wii in their living room will sit this one out and won't get caught up in the buzz this time around. After being burned by endless false promises from Reggie over 6 years that hardcore games were coming, they never did. Hardcore games and innovative use of Wiimote never really materialized. Many ended up with an over-sized white brick staring at them in their living room. -If someone already has a Xbox 360 or PS3 there is no reason to go spend $300 on another console for AAA third party games that will already be available on their current platform for simply the price of the game -Nintendos first party has been very sparse throughout the Wii life-cycle. They have powerful franchises that resonate with many but they simply need to release them more often without a drop off in quality. This is the only real selling point of a Nintendo platform. -Nintendo is still behind in the online gaming arena. Go read about what they have planned, it's still far from ideal. While Nintendo has not set themselves up for much success with this hardware iteration saying that this is a Nintendo dreamcast moment would be underestimating their brand. As the GR staff showed in this article there are still enough people out there that will forgo all these inadequacies to be able to play a handful of first party titles over a 6 year span.
  • Evanesco - September 13, 2012 5 p.m.

Considering I've played all of it's launch games already and it's a year in front of next generation, I'm definitely going to completely ignore it's existence. Because it's existence is obsolete.
  • Dante1924 - September 13, 2012 5:52 p.m.

Holy shit, you've played ZombiU?!! AND Rayman Legends?! AND Black Ops II?!! AND Assassin's Creed III?!! Tell me, are they really good? Are they outstanding? Does Black Ops II renovate the franchise enough? Does Rayman Legends improve vastly on its predecessor? Is ZombiU an example of what future Wii U titles could do with the tablet controller? Did you get exclusive access to the Playstation 4 and Xbox 720, and that's what formulates your idea that the next generation's a year away? Tell me, I'm just dying to know.
  • Funkzillabot - September 13, 2012 5:12 p.m.

To answer the question: Is the Wii-U too expensive? Yes. By $50 bucks. And there's two, too many of them.
  • Tranquilbez34 - September 13, 2012 8:17 p.m.

In Australia, The 8GB is $348 and the 32GB is $428. God Dammit I hate the way our prices are so much different compared to the Yanks. Quit bitching about the $350 price tag on the black one think of us aussies! Do you know how much games cost here? $100 effing dollars and you guys get it for $60! I hate our currency here, that's why I go online whenever I can. That being said, good thing I have to younger brothers who are nintendo fan boys and are dying for the wii u. Because christmas is comming up and a 32GB Wii U with New Super Mario Bros U and Lego City Undercover will look good under our Christmas tree eh?
  • Meleedragon27 - September 13, 2012 8:38 p.m.

I'm not sold on the system, at least not right away. Three hundred+ dollars seems a bit hefty for a machine that's about as powerful as my 360 and has an HDD that only has 32 gigs at most. Not only that, I was admittedly never really wow'd by the console or its features. In particular, the tablet controller; sure, it's got a lot of potential and maybe developers will utilize it well like they did with the DS, but we could be seeing another Wii remote here (also had lots of potential, but most companies outside of Nintendo used it for little else than a basic pointer/waggle). I need proof that this concept isn't just going to become some lame gimmick that I'd be better off without in the long term - yes, it's nice to see a lot of launch games making the most of it, but Nintendo needs to prove to me that things are going to stay that way. In my eyes, they failed to do that with the Wii. Not only that, there's the concern of third party support. Sure, the launch line-up looks nice (ZombiU looks promising, and having played Rayman Origins, that Legends sequel looks like it'll be fantastic) and Nintendo gladly boasts about how they got third parties backing them up, but I've been hearing Nintendo do this same song and dance since their fabled "dream team" for the Nintendo 64 back in the mid 90's, and support has always fizzled out after two or three years at most. After so many years and several generations, I'm sick of it - Nintendo's in-house games are no longer enough to keep me glued; I want more. If I have a Nintendo console, I want more variety to my library than just Mario, Zelda, and whatever other bones Nintendo feels like tossing at us. I want a guarantee that third-parties will keep making big games for the console even after several years have passed since launch like they do with Microsoft and Sony's consoles. I want to be able to find fantastic third-party games without having to dig through lots of licensed crap and shovelware just to find the occasional lesser-known gem. Nintendo's history with consoles and third-party developers over the past decade tell me that's not gonna happen.
  • garnsr - September 13, 2012 9:16 p.m.

I think the fact that it's the newest system and it's Nintendo is enough for laymen to not notice that it isn't more powerful than the old 360 and PS3. Nintendo lost their hold over me in the SNES days,and I think it's kind of sad that so many people still think they've got much going for them. And I remember how irritating it was playing Bayonetta with the attack buttons mapped to the triangle and circle on PS3, instead of the usual square and triangle, remember that Nintendo systems reverse the arrangement for ABXY, 360 users are going to have to try to adjust when they see button prompts for QTEs and things on WiiU.
  • laurenhiya21 - September 13, 2012 9:21 p.m.

While I do think the WiiU is pretty cool, I don't really have the money for that right now. Even when I do get money (let's say for Christmas or something) the WiiU will still not be my first choice of thing to buy. I've wanted a 3DS and a PSP for a while, so once I get enough money for at least one of them (probably buying a 3DS first...) then I'll buy it. I'll probably buy a WiiU later, but I'm also probably going to wait a year or two... Well, assuming that it doesn't fail (I hope what happened with the 3DS doesn't happen again...) Plus I'm only interested in Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 as far as games go (and Bayonetta isn't even a launch title) while with the 3DS, there are a many more games that I would like. (and of course the PSP has a ton of games)
  • RadgarLaser2 - September 13, 2012 10:22 p.m.

Every early adopter hardcore gamer wants the 1st party games at launch. Why don't they ever do that? They know we are the one who buys it at launch for any price and want to play the new games yet they never start the development for those type of games early. I go through games fast so if there is not enough games to play I just wait when there is and by then they probably lower the price or bundle games with the console and that's when I strike.
  • Viron - September 13, 2012 10:59 p.m.

Is that really the WiiU's controllers? Does Nintendo not watch the news? Don't they know that you can copyright shapes now and they've just copied the Xbox controller. Plus it has some rounded edges, Apple might sue em too.
  • Evan-OShea - September 14, 2012 12:42 a.m.

Xbox 360 Launch Price: Core unit: $300 ($350 adjusted for 2012 inflation) 20 GIG unit: $400 ($470 adjusted for 2012 inflation) PS3: 20 gig: $500 ($570 adjusted for 2012 inflation) 60 gig: $600 ($680 adjusted for 2012 inflation) Wii U: 8 GIG base model: $300 32 GIG deluxe model: $350 Yeah the Wii U is WAY to expensive (especially sense the Wii U is pretty much twice as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PS3 and the fact that the 8th Gen consoles from both Sony and Microsoft will most likely sell for double what the Wii U does now). Now don't get me wrong I enjoy all three companies but people really need to do some research and stop bitching.
  • boondocks50 - September 14, 2012 4:26 a.m.

Exactly. $350 isnt bad that bad at all. Upon further investigation ^ im guessing $750-$800 for ne consoles.
  • ob_mason90 - September 14, 2012 5:22 a.m.

you're maybe right but but even thogh the next consoles will be expensive but I think their software will be alot better than the WII U's (not trolling cuz i'm buying my self a WII U before the end of the year).
  • ob_mason90 - September 14, 2012 5:44 a.m.

sorry I meant hardware
  • Currambo - September 14, 2012 4:34 a.m.

"the WiiU is pretty much twice as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PS3" though that seems to be a quote thats flying around im yet to see any visual evidence and with the new Xbox and PS coming relatively soon probably... I do think the pricing is pretty high! I think that comparing to the original Xbox 360 and PS3 launch prices is unfair, because the leap they made technically at the time was far higher than anything im seeing from Nintendo now! I just think Nintendo should at least be showing more Tech demos of what the Wii U is actually capable of!!
  • ParagonT - September 15, 2012 8:23 a.m.

I will say that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are nearly seven year old hardware, and if the Wii-U's specs are just ever so slightly above it, why should it be close to 350 dollars at all? That's like paying fifty dollars less for nearly 5-7 year old specs. At the time, the Xbox and PS3 was a VAST improvement above the PS2 and Xbox, but the Wii-U seems to just barely top this generations consoles in specs. Whether the New Xbox or PS will be more expensive is not an issue as of right now, because we have no idea what they plan to really do with it as of yet. That's why I'll wait until then to see which I buy. So I'm not saying that the Wii-U is trash or a waste of money by no means, it has some cool features, but it's far from being "cheap" if you think of how much it's specs compare to seven year old hardware. Unless of course just the controller makes up for everything in your eyes. So before telling others to stop "bitching" please research as well and stop bitching about bitching. Also, those inflation numbers are pulled out of your ass, I checked the real rates. I don't mind these discussions, but I dislike superiority complexes.
  • Moondoggie1157 - September 15, 2012 8:44 a.m.

^^^^ truth. Another thing that gets me is that the fact it is only 8 gigs wasn't mentioned in your price comparison. I mean, that should even be on your list, considering that you are going to need to at least quadruple (at the very least) your HD space, which will not be cheap. It's the fact that they want $350 for outdated tech which has some bells and whistles attached to it. Meh, if it makes you happy then buy it, but comparing this launch to the PS3/360 launch is apples and oranges.
  • Moondoggie1157 - September 15, 2012 8:45 a.m.

...GR add an edit button, that was a terribly written comment, my bad.
  • boondocks50 - September 14, 2012 4:22 a.m.

You think the Wii U is expensive wait till you see what Sony and Microsoft cook up as prices for their consoles. Im guessing $550-$600.
  • suicidali - September 14, 2012 10:13 a.m.

I'll buy it when the new Smash Bros. game comes out... Hopefully by then the price would've dropped a bit, plus I probably would've traded in my Wii by then, so...