Topics

Nintendo Wii U

• KnowYourPokemon - September 13, 2012 12:11 p.m.

Day one purchase, the fact they just announced it will be compatible with external usb devices for storage just made me even more thrilled to have one in reserve asap. I have external thumb drives ready for game data on the chance I use up the WiiU's memory space.
  • FoxdenRacing - September 13, 2012 12:24 p.m.

An interesting selection of opinions...good read. Personally, I don't know what I'm going to do for new systems yet. I'll probably have the next Xbox, as I'm a Forza junkie and Nintendo can't offer anything that compares. But on the other hand: I want bright, colorful, fun...and bright/colorful/fun is what Nintendo does best. I'm keeping my eyes...and options...open for what I'm doing next generation
  • robotdickens - September 13, 2012 12:26 p.m.

I think it's fair. True they may opt out and cut the price like what they did with the 3DS but even then, every single 3DS owner who paid for the initial release price got a bunch of free stuff in Nintendo's store. That's much more than I can say for the PS3. Oh snap!
  • BladedFalcon - September 13, 2012 12:33 p.m.

I'm pretty much with Tom Magrino on this one. And no, definitely not interested in getting one any time soon, much less day one. Although the prospect of Rayman legends, Bayonneta, and the Wonderful 101 are all very exciting, it's just not enough for me, specially because I've yet to see that Nintendo will actually learn it's lesson and have a truly committed third party support from all the other companies out there. That being said, I'm not completely against buying it one day, maybe, but that will mainly depend on how good their party support can get later on, and how good the actual next gen consoles will be.
  • yoyoguy - September 13, 2012 12:39 p.m.

Definitely interested since it actually has some graphical horsepower. Bayonetta 2 is irresistible for me since I loved the first one. I'll probably buy the cheaper version and spend the money on an external hard drive to store stuff.
  • Smash_Bro - September 13, 2012 12:48 p.m.

I like all the GR staff's opinions, as they bring up a slew of great points for and against the launch day buy. I will always buy Nintendo's consoles at launch, but unfortunately I'm still sceptical of its launch window. Bayonetta 2 is the only game I actually care about. I mean, come on, the Wii launched with Wii Sports and Twilight Princess! There are no proper first party launch games (though I don't remember if Pikmin 3 will be at launch--not that I care). So, fine, there aren't many great launch games, but I know for a fact that I'll be playing around with WiiU's other features for weeks after launch. And Black2/White2 will be keeping me occupied anyway.
  • Fuzunga - September 13, 2012 1:35 p.m.

I don't think you guys realize how easy it is to buy a cheap external hard drive.
  • Turtman - September 13, 2012 1:46 p.m.

That's not really the point. Why should you even HAVE to do that? The PS3 has a 320gb hard drive for god's sake. I don't know why console manufacturers put such a premium on hard drive cost when, like you said, its easy to get cheap hard drives.
  • ultimatepunchrod - September 13, 2012 1:46 p.m.

Has Nintendo said if using other means of storage will work like it did on Wii? Because if it does, that's not going to be fun.
  • ObliqueZombie - September 13, 2012 1:56 p.m.

I WANT to buy one day-one, but being in college, I'm already laughing at the thought. But, this is going to be top on my Christmas list. Games like ZombiU, New Super Mario Bros. U (since I haven't had the means to play any modern Mario title since... Sunshine), Bayonetta II, and finally being able to play the famed Monster Hunter, on top of future prospects like Zelda and (wishful thinking initiated) Metroid Prime, I'm thoroughly excited for this game. Oh, and a robust online system? And a permanent 10% discount in the store? Stellar.
  • The_Tingler - September 13, 2012 11:47 p.m.

I have to spear a couple of games in there lest you get too excited. New Super Mario Bros is a simplistic 2D Mario, it's the Galaxy series you want first (and they'll play on Wii U, so that's okay). Monster Hunter though I personally utterly detest. Incredibly popular in Japan, almost uselessly dull everywhere else. Try before you buy that one, somehow. Listen to Radioradar 04 if you don't believe me.
  • Bantha_Fodder - September 13, 2012 2:15 p.m.

Considering the WiiU game I'm most looking forward to is Aliens (which drops in February or something), I'm cool with waiting. I'll totally buy one, just not at launch. Maybe sometime after Christmas, when my funds are less depleted.
  • shawksta - September 13, 2012 2:45 p.m.

Im with Cooper, Justin,Henry, others on the point that the Wii U already sold me without the price, and the Price doesnt change my opinion, my only real confusion is this whole 8-32 business, otherwise whether im buying this on Launch is dependent on my status at due time.
  • Cyberninja - September 13, 2012 3:18 p.m.

Day 1 or Christmas for sure, it packs hardcore games, Nintendo exclusives, a unique controller and backward compatibility(It will even have GC on the Virtual Console. I don't see why anyone would hate seeing as this is the start of next gen and while the others will be powerhouses they will also be overly expensive as a result, this is a great blend of price and power.
  • yonderTheGreat - September 13, 2012 3:23 p.m.

Did he just say he was hoping for a lower price but is happy that extra controllers weren't included?
  • Godzillarex - September 13, 2012 3:26 p.m.

I agree with David. Not such a great line up of games at the moment. I'm going to wait to buy it until the next Smash Brothers is released.
  • somerandomchap - September 13, 2012 4 p.m.

Hmmm, $350 for premium bundle, obviously most people would get that but no doubt even though Australian dollar is on par with American, we will be paying at minimum $600 (probably for the basic, i couldnt really justify it, partly because Australian inflation, no games that i would play besides ZombiU and that even the American price is ridiculous, I get it has the gamepad but that and the console are using extremely old hardware, just above the PS360 which will leave it a generation behind like the Wii so why not price it the same as the Wii, i think it was $250 in USA and $450~ in AU.
  • RedBearHugh - September 13, 2012 4:25 p.m.

Just checked another site, WiiU in Australia will be $350 for the basic and $430 for the premium, launching on November 30. Still not as close to the American price as I'd like, but you gotta admit, it's progress.
  • somerandomchap - September 13, 2012 6:01 p.m.

Oh thank god. That's not too bad and ill end up saving a bunch of money by buying games from ozgameshop or something.
  • oryanbelt - September 13, 2012 4:03 p.m.

The only way I would pick this up on launch day is if the premium was a limited time offer as far as their 2 year online service addition ala Playstation Plus. Other than that, I'll wait until March area when more games are released and more are announced