Topics

Nintendo Wii U

• berry87 - September 15, 2012 5:49 a.m.

Not a chance i'm buying and why should anyone??? seriously it's coming to the end of the ps3/360 consoles life and we are at the top end of what these consoles can do which has over 6year old tech in it, and now nintendo decide to join the party with a console which does exactly the same as a ps3/360 can do. the wii was unique and interesting with it's wii motes and the way you played games but it strived it self from being different and thats what made non gamers buy it. but the wii u, is basicly back to being a normal console with an added tablet, but the craziest thing is ps3 can already do this with the vita and microsoft have announced smart glass which basicly means what ever you can do on a wii u, you will be able to use any type of tablet on our console and do the same, also the console costs more to buy than a ps3/360 and isn't even more powerful. doesn't make any sense to me, they've had over 6years to make something alot better and the opt for the same graphics power hmmmm will see.
  • ParagonT - September 15, 2012 7:42 a.m.

I will admit that the specs of the Wii-U translates to higher power than the Xbox and PS3, but not by much. But Your right to say that it's a bit brash to jump on the console when you haven't seen what the others offer, but it's peoples personal choice.
  • whocares202 - October 3, 2012 8:40 a.m.

Now this is a sensible post. Why waste 500$ on something that is no more powerful than a ps3? Total waste, unless it brings the 3D feature to the console and somehow projects it through the HDMI on a non-3D TV (which won't be happening). Then I would consider buying it.
  • philip-craddock - September 14, 2012 2:02 p.m.

Quite disappointed by the launch price and the two separate models. Was hoping it would be around £199 as was rumoured. £249 for a weeny 8GB version or £299 for the Premium model is a bit much (especially as I'm not interested in Nintendo Land, so it'll be an extra £30 for a bundle deal with ZombiU if I actually want to play something on it). Sure I'll get one eventually but I doubt it'll be a day one purchase now. I may ask everybody for Amazon vouchers for Christmas this year and see if I can get anywhere close to affording one that way. Hopefully by then Wonderful 101 will have a confirmed UK release date.
  • DrOprah - September 14, 2012 12:46 p.m.

I'm not buying it on launch day, but only because I'm 15 with no source of income. This thing enters my possession as soon as I'm able.
  • Moondoggie1157 - September 15, 2012 8:35 a.m.

Get a job! Damned slackers... Back in my day, we weren't lucky enough to fancy Wemotes and pikmans, we broke rocks and drank tar for a penny a day, I saved up enough pennies for a Genesis and I felt like I accomplished something. You kids, nowadays...
  • Ravenbom - September 14, 2012 11:39 a.m.

Well I'm torn because I've been waiting on the successor to the Wii since my disk drive broke down in my Wii and I missed out on Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy 2, Kirby's Epic yarn and a couple other big hitters. BUT, on the flip side ZombiU is the only title that really piques my curiosity. Of course, it's kind of like when I bought a Wii in the first place, I mostly played VC games. I think I'll hold out a little while.
  • wober2 - September 14, 2012 11:21 a.m.

Obsolescence is not only spec oriented with indie games constantly bringing old mechanics that challenge the AAA titles, nintendo will continue to make great games. Perhaps with great success the wiiu can help bring development costs at a rational level instead of the constant ballooning of budgets for more textures and little difference in gameplay or story. I pre-ordered yesterday at Gamestop the Premium set. I cannot wait. I love the entire package they are building tying in a social network with games and tv. The games are top notch. Even the metroid mii game on nintendo land seems like a ton of fun. Give me more couch coop please and I will give you money nintendo. I am very excited for this launch and I hope people keep an open mind. Nintendo represents keeping youthful at heart / promoting our inner child. Those who want more realistic textures and care less about new forms of gameplay should just go watch Michael Bay movies.
  • Elitepwnsface - September 14, 2012 10:36 a.m.

Well seeing how i payed $250 for the 3ds at its launch id say the price is as it should be. Preordered the basic for $324.75 with tax on best buy . Instore pick-up of course
  • RonnyLive19881 - September 14, 2012 10:16 a.m.

I was prepared to pay as much as $600 for the console alone so I think this is great news! I'll be getting ZombiU, Mario and Pikmin 3 with a Pro Controller and the 500Gig hard drive if it is available at launch.
  • suicidali - September 14, 2012 10:13 a.m.

I'll buy it when the new Smash Bros. game comes out... Hopefully by then the price would've dropped a bit, plus I probably would've traded in my Wii by then, so...
  • boondocks50 - September 14, 2012 4:22 a.m.

You think the Wii U is expensive wait till you see what Sony and Microsoft cook up as prices for their consoles. Im guessing $550-$600.
  • Evan-OShea - September 14, 2012 12:42 a.m.

Xbox 360 Launch Price: Core unit: $300 ($350 adjusted for 2012 inflation) 20 GIG unit: $400 ($470 adjusted for 2012 inflation) PS3: 20 gig: $500 ($570 adjusted for 2012 inflation) 60 gig: $600 ($680 adjusted for 2012 inflation) Wii U: 8 GIG base model: $300 32 GIG deluxe model: $350 Yeah the Wii U is WAY to expensive (especially sense the Wii U is pretty much twice as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PS3 and the fact that the 8th Gen consoles from both Sony and Microsoft will most likely sell for double what the Wii U does now). Now don't get me wrong I enjoy all three companies but people really need to do some research and stop bitching.
  • boondocks50 - September 14, 2012 4:26 a.m.

Exactly. $350 isnt bad that bad at all. Upon further investigation ^ im guessing $750-$800 for ne consoles.
  • ob_mason90 - September 14, 2012 5:22 a.m.

you're maybe right but but even thogh the next consoles will be expensive but I think their software will be alot better than the WII U's (not trolling cuz i'm buying my self a WII U before the end of the year).
  • ob_mason90 - September 14, 2012 5:44 a.m.

sorry I meant hardware
  • Currambo - September 14, 2012 4:34 a.m.

"the WiiU is pretty much twice as powerful as the Xbox 360 and PS3" though that seems to be a quote thats flying around im yet to see any visual evidence and with the new Xbox and PS coming relatively soon probably... I do think the pricing is pretty high! I think that comparing to the original Xbox 360 and PS3 launch prices is unfair, because the leap they made technically at the time was far higher than anything im seeing from Nintendo now! I just think Nintendo should at least be showing more Tech demos of what the Wii U is actually capable of!!
  • ParagonT - September 15, 2012 8:23 a.m.

I will say that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are nearly seven year old hardware, and if the Wii-U's specs are just ever so slightly above it, why should it be close to 350 dollars at all? That's like paying fifty dollars less for nearly 5-7 year old specs. At the time, the Xbox and PS3 was a VAST improvement above the PS2 and Xbox, but the Wii-U seems to just barely top this generations consoles in specs. Whether the New Xbox or PS will be more expensive is not an issue as of right now, because we have no idea what they plan to really do with it as of yet. That's why I'll wait until then to see which I buy. So I'm not saying that the Wii-U is trash or a waste of money by no means, it has some cool features, but it's far from being "cheap" if you think of how much it's specs compare to seven year old hardware. Unless of course just the controller makes up for everything in your eyes. So before telling others to stop "bitching" please research as well and stop bitching about bitching. Also, those inflation numbers are pulled out of your ass, I checked the real rates. I don't mind these discussions, but I dislike superiority complexes.
  • Moondoggie1157 - September 15, 2012 8:44 a.m.

^^^^ truth. Another thing that gets me is that the fact it is only 8 gigs wasn't mentioned in your price comparison. I mean, that should even be on your list, considering that you are going to need to at least quadruple (at the very least) your HD space, which will not be cheap. It's the fact that they want $350 for outdated tech which has some bells and whistles attached to it. Meh, if it makes you happy then buy it, but comparing this launch to the PS3/360 launch is apples and oranges.
  • Moondoggie1157 - September 15, 2012 8:45 a.m.

...GR add an edit button, that was a terribly written comment, my bad.