• db1331 - November 19, 2012 11:12 a.m.

While it is BS that a 5 gig patch is needed just to provide basic functionality, I can't seem to muster up any sympathy for anyone who restarted their console in the middle of an update. You simply don't do that. I've never run an upgrade on any piece of electronics that didn't explicitly tell you not to turn it off before starting the update. Most laptops won't even let you run a BIOS update until you plug in your AC adapter.
  • bass88 - November 19, 2012 11:30 a.m.

What about a power cut? Has happened to me a few times on the PS3.
  • JimmyP91 - November 19, 2012 11:43 a.m.

I doubt it since bricking is technically the consumers fault. While it isn't your fault if the power goes out mid update and your console bricks, I doubt companies will offer replacements because then every moron who shuts his console off mid update and bricks his system will just say that his power went out and how do you prove that?
  • bass88 - November 19, 2012 11:59 a.m.

Shouldn't companies install a failsafe then then? As I mentioned, three times the power cut on me during PS3 updates but upon resetting the PS3 was fine. Surely, Nintendo has implemented something along these lines in case of scenerios like this. They are usually pretty good with customer support.
  • JimmyP91 - November 19, 2012 4:18 p.m.

The only possible failsafe I can think of would be to install a backup battery powerful enough to power the hard drive long enough so the system can save and cancel the update on it's own if the console loses power. Bricking is such a rare thing though that it wouldn't be cost effective to do that. In fact it probably be more cost effective to just add bricking to the warranty. I agree, Nintendo is one of the best tech companies when it comes to customer support so they'll probably do something to help out those unforunate souls who got bricked.
  • db1331 - November 19, 2012 1:14 p.m.

Power outages are a different story. I was talking specifically about anyone who restarted their console.
  • larkan - November 19, 2012 11:56 a.m.

There is supposedly a setting on the Pii-U that shuts it off after a certain amount of inactivity, I wonder if people are running into this as part of the problem?
  • KnowYourPokemon - November 19, 2012 12:06 p.m.

While updating the WiiU temporarily disables that function.
  • brickman409 - November 19, 2012 8:38 p.m.

I've heard somewhere that it's not actually 5GB in reality it's 1GB, and the reason most people think it's 5GB is because they calculated that from how long the download was. But the reason the download took so long was from all the day one buyers using the server at the same time.