• patriotmatt - October 8, 2008 11:25 p.m.

Well as a convert from WoW I have to say that I'm very impressed with the game mechanics WAR has, especially so soon after launch. After fixing a couple bugs with pets, I have had nothing but smooth sailing. The PQs are great, I can always find an enemy player to gank in Tier 2, and even the PvE has a chaotic (in a good way) feeling instead of everything being a hassle. As for the whole "stereotype" argument going on, Warhammer has been around a long time (25 years now) but not as long as our fantasy background as presented by Tolkein. WAR has a different take, though. Rather than traditional LotR archetypes, we have British people sterotypes. And this is direct from an interview with Mythic's Creative Director Elves are basically the aristocrats, people who don't know what dirt is and spend all their time reading and looking down on people. Dwarves are the working class: their grumpy, stubborn and may enjoy their beer a bit too much. The orks are basically soccer hooligans who like smashing windows and punching people in the face.
  • Mystikal54 - October 8, 2008 5:36 p.m.

As a current WoW player who also got WAR, I feel that the failure of EA's Customer Support to deal with important issues like issuing a bad patch on 10/08/2008 will lose a lot of people who was interested in the game previously. Unlike when Blizzard has dropped the ball in a patch, nothing has been issued officially or unofficially by EA. My personal feeling is to what for the bugs to be worked out then try out the game in about six to twelve months!
  • pot - October 8, 2008 10:21 a.m.

Taro, every copy of WAR gets a free month. Please stop with the misinformation.
  • chaton - October 8, 2008 5:12 a.m.

I played the closed beta of WAR and loved it. I quit WoW and rolled a few classes on destro. I was sick of all little kid crap on WoW and from the look of it, all the new abilities for the expansion were just taken from other classes and renamed. I didn't see much change. And with the "new" dungeons being ones from preBC brought back, for me, it would just be a waste of time. WAR made questing fun and like they said in one of their videos before the game was released, as a healer, i don't just stand back and heal. I can actually lvl as a healer w/o problems. And for guilds, with there being guild ranks/privledges/achievements, it makes the whole "guild" experience different and actually worth while. The only thing atm that i see that could be a problem is there only being two main professions. I think w/o more, it will kill the economy but hopefully they'll come out with more when the new cities and whatnot are rdy.
  • nick5454 - October 7, 2008 3:32 p.m.

Well first of all wow has been broken for a while because they unbalance classes because of the "whiners"...I get 1 shotted by a fire mage because I don't understand to cast silence/kick/stun when he flashes... They make mounts available at 30...heroics available after they quest grind so pugs are a freakin nightmare. The game has basically been destroyed by the mass population. And pvp in wow is absolutely horrible..talking about game mechanics. And welfare epics? wtf? Don't get me wrong i've been playing since pre-bc and I loved wow..Got 10+ people addicted also at my job. Wow will always be a part of me and i cannot turn my back. But, its old. There will always be hard cores that will keep it up. Hell AO is still alive somehow. Plus half of wow is gold farmers anyways. But, First Warhammer has history also. But, I hear end game isn't very good. But, warhammer isn't about bosses. If you want bosses..play wow. No one will ever come close to end game raiding like wow. Ever... I'm only level 5 so far, so we will see. But, as more hardcore pvp'ers come to warhammer it has great potential to be what pvp is all about. Hell, how many remember being in av for 8+ hours and join it the next day and its still the same av. Why people act like WOW is a god, I have no idea. Its just a product. But, Blizzard is very good at content and they are top notch. But, warhammer is a different game. It is not wow, nor is it really a competitor. To some degree it is and has quests for wow types. But, in the end it is a PVP oriented game. I only see hardcore pvp'ers switching over. And yes in wow right now lfg types wait a long time. The population has had a decrease. But the gold farmers are there in great numbers. If the community helps, warhammer has great potential to be the pvp leader in fantasy. My thoughts. It already has done better than AOC and tabula from the start. Time will tell, but trollers saying that warhammer sucks or it could never be wow, are just morons because it isn't wow, nor is it trying to be. My trolling thoughts...
  • janevit14 - October 7, 2008 2:09 a.m.

i dont think EA has paid anybody to write good stuffs here (well atleast not me). the point i and many of us are trying to make here is that, despite wow being a great game, war has overcome it. if a player really really love PVE aspect of the game, then ok wow may be a better choice (as of now). but in pvp war is far superior. the grass is actually greener on the other side, and it's more blood thirsty too.
  • Helltart - October 7, 2008 12:32 a.m.

I am one of those players that wont go to a link not direct to Ea website, as anyone that plays wow , there is a direct link for a 10 day free trial, however on warhammer website there is not. Yes i do understand three is 30 days free if you purchase the game but unlike many , i wont spend more money on another game only to find out that its no good. Once ea put a free trial on there website , i and many others will try. I would advice any player that is looking to get a free trial, do not purchase it from any website other that warhammer online or ea. Take it from me there is many web sites who are hacks .bars trophy
  • ruiner5000 - October 6, 2008 9:24 p.m.

I can't vouch for the later levels, but starting of War is superior. I'm in Austin, and I've played every major MMO since Ultima Online. Yes, there are trials, at igames centers you get a free 7 day trial. If you are in Austin, the birthplace of the MMO, that would mean at my store. http://tekrepublik.net/index.php/component/content/article/102-free-7-day-warhammer-online-trial-keys If not then check the igames site for a center near you offering the trial. We have 3 people playing right now, and I'll be playing later today as well.
  • huangism - October 6, 2008 7:10 p.m.

why the fuck are ppl saying there is a difference between the 2 games. it's the same friggin thing. grind levels, rvr = BGs. only difference i see is WAR lags a lot and things aren't as smooth as WOW. i mean for god sake's the character window's text are crammed and shit. just wait after awhile people will start writing how WAR sucks and it takes your life away
  • huangism - October 6, 2008 7:01 p.m.

how much did they pay you to write this crappy article? let the people chose, and don't talk shit about either game
  • dailywarhammer - October 6, 2008 4:05 p.m.

I don't think WAR will over-shadow WOW in the near future. But it doesn't need to in order to be very successful. I think most WOW players will keep playing their game because most of their friends are there and they enjoy the PvE much more than the PvP. Because let's face it, WoW PvP has taken a nose dive since BC. Then there are those who enjoy PvP and simply thrive for group-oriented PvP with strategy and a sense of accomplishment. I am one of those players that enjoyed the WoW quests, and the amazing artwork, and the occasional raid. But the lack of quality PvP and guild oriented PvP was a huge factor for me when switching to WAR. WAR offers RvR which hasn't been replicated since DAOC. WAR offers mind blowing artwork and creativity with public quests. Basically, WAR offers similar attractions that WOW has while offering players with the potential for large scale battles that shape and mold not just the player and the guild, but the whole realm. Finally a player's actions can contribute to the whole game world. This is something that is missing from WOW...maybe WOTLK will change that.
  • chaoslord - October 6, 2008 3:03 p.m.

oops didn't see the rest of the comments. I disagree that there isn't a balance, you have options as a healer to avoid getting wtfpwned by a stealth (witch elf) toon popping up behind you. Its a better, more well-thought out game than wow imo.
  • Tazilon - October 6, 2008 2:31 p.m.

For starters, I am a WOWer now playing WAR. I like WAR better for the following reasons: 1) YOU get to pick how you want to level. If you like grinding, you can level that way. If you like BGs, you cna level in BGs. If you like quests, you can level that way. Most quests are soloable. Public Quests (PQs) are not. But you don't need to join a group to do them; if you desire, you can simply be in the PQ area. Everyone there contributes to the collective goal and is graded on their individual contribution when it's time to divvy up the loot. No matter how you prefer to level or play, WAR gives you an opportunity to pursue that style of play. FAR superior to WOW's mandatory quest/grind system of levelling! 2) In terms of RvR (PvP), WoW is no match for WAR. For unknown reasons, the best gear in WoW is only available in Arena play. Ludicrous since Arena play occurs in closed containers and doesn't let you use all your toys and abilities. WoWs attitude towards PvP is cavalier, at best; it seems PvP is a necessary evil to them, included in lightwieght form only because players want it, not because they think it has value. On the other hand, WAR give RvR/PvP the full hands on treatment. If you like WoW style BGs, WAR lets you LEVEL by playing similar type instances. And you get loot while doing it! If you play on an Open RvR server (the only way to play if you ask me), you can fight the enemy everywhere except a few safe zones. Even on non-open RvR servers, every zone has areas where RvR is available - and who controls those areas affects your game. Tower to capture, castles to seige, huge battles over strategic passes or 1 on 1 encounters, WAR offers it all! 3) As mentioned above, I don't need to pocket my best toys to qualify for the best gear. I can USE my heal pots, my Netherwing pet dragon I worked so hard to get but can't use in Arenas, my energy boosts - they ALL work in this PvP play. WoWs arenas are a joke for that very reason: they limit your use of items you earned in non-arena play. I will never understand why WoW thinks this is desireable - or sane. Does WAR have faults? Sure. Every game does. For starters, Mythic has never been known for being computer-resource friendly. A low end system won't run it. A middle of the road system may bog down in large encounters. Such is life in a land of 100+ vs 100+ man fights over Keeps. The polish is not there yet. This is expected in a game which was just released. I currently have a pair of armguards whose icon looks like boots and even displays as boots when I put them on - even though the game treats them as though they are in my arm slot. Monsters sometimes lag when you atack them at distance, then jump forward to appear next to you. Disturbing, but playable. The mail system doesn't offer a "you got mail" flag in the UI. Completely baffling as you frequently miss any chat box mail notice if you are in battle. The mail system also only lets you mail 1 item at a time, another strange limit which most assuredly will be improved in a future update. So, to those who say WoWers won't switch to play WAR. YES WE WILL. I already did. I predict many more will follow.
  • freebird87 - October 6, 2008 2:10 p.m.

I must be a rare case or something but I just gave up WoW. I've been playing WoW since it came out. Been there when Hillsbrad was the original Battleground. All you had to do is go over there and the first thing you normally would see would be people ranging from 20 to 60 fighting. After years of playing, WoW has lost its vibe within me. Its now all the same to me. Doing battlegrounds constantly. PvE never changes except when they add new instances. Then they get old very quick. I've played DAOC as well during those times. I loved the mechanics in both. I never liked blizzard but they made a good game. But I like Mythic and their games more. This past June, I quit my character. Psychotic on Blade's Edge server. I was one of those people who had tier armor up the ass until WoW: BC came out. Then when arenas started, I finally said screw this when I had full season 3 gear in a few weeks. I need a change. All of my friends on the same server as me has all decided to move onto Warhammer. I was in closed beta, open beta, and headstart. After playing WAR and WoW, I don't care how good supposedly WOTLK is going to be, I still believe Warhammer will triumph. I'm not trying to convince anyone to move over, but this is my honest opinion. I really enjoy everything about Warhammer. For those who say "I'm not going to switch because I'm a WoW only person" you should atleast try someone elses account who you know has one. I've been a big WoW fan for the longest time, but people WoW gets old, nothing changes. At least Warhammer, when someone takes over a keep or nodes or even start losing a main city, all other areas get affected by it. The world is constantly changing. Leveling up guilds, your characters, your cities. Everything has its own entity and EXP bar. I know this message is going to piss off a few people, but oh well. It's only my opinion. All I say is give WAR a try and if WoW still suits you better, cool, at least you have tried WoW's competition. Have fun and hope to see you at WAR!
  • Agent4054 - October 6, 2008 1:58 p.m.

@Samael I'd have to say the orcs in WAR are definitely not the evil stereotype. Orcs and goclins in WAR provide the game with awesome comic relief. Clicked on an orc a couple times to hear its responses. The npc farted, and said "Hey! My bum just spoke!" And then there are the orc quests like taking a bag of poo... placing it in front of a dwarven stronghold, lighting it on fire, a dwarf comes out to stomp on it while you kill him and take his hat. Yeah, really evil.
  • pendola - October 4, 2008 3:08 p.m.

While WAR is fun, it is in no way the best MMO out there right now. It's a great distraction to WoW until WotLK releases. I've been playing WAR since beta, the ToK and beastiary are excellent, there are many issues. The questing system praised above makes it so the average player simply ignores the quest text at levels past 5 and simply run from red spot to red spot on the map killing whatever is says on the mouse-over, and ignoring any storyline. While the PvP and queueing system are excellent and much more convenient than WoW, upper level PvP has MAJOR balance and gameplay issues. Dont believe me? Level a character to the Tier 3 PVP (minimum level 20) and go join some battles. CC and knock-backs make the gameplay less than desirable when every class has them, and most are in an AE form. It's less about fighting and more about ping pong at that moment, and sadly thats how most tier3 scenarios play out. I think the biggest exception I have to this editorial is the "No more grinding" claim... Maybe re-address this when you get into your high-teens and low 20's... The quest content in the starting areas do not pace you well enough into the next areas. There simply isn't enough quests/experience before they filter you to the next town/area to quest there. This is even with a lot of RvR going on between quests, and doing full PQs in those zones. While this isn't that big of a deal when you're level 5 going to Krom Kor Gap, or level 9 going to the beginning of Barak Varr, when you're only level 15 and storyline puts you into a level 18-20 area, you have 2 options, 1. leave your faction zone and begin repeating the same tier with another faction pairing, 2. grind, either in RvR or in your last quest area until you gain enough levels for your spells/abilities to actually land on the mobs (for those saying that I need to PvP more, that isn't the issue. I've been capped on Renoun at each level, since it can't progress past your base char level, making PvP less rewarding than grinding mobs, which is a whole other issue). Those Public Quests which were great at levels 1-15 are more and more difficult to complete when you get to chapters 8,9,10+ due to the fact that there are very very few players around you. Good luck soloing stage II or stage III by yourself when you need to kill 1 hero and 3 champions to complete the objective (oh, and they're 2-3 levels higher than you because of the story/experience gap). Don't get me wrong, WAR is a fun game. It's leaps and bounds better than Conan, which was an abortion of a game after level 20... The RvR (both open Keep battles and Scenarios) are fun, but there is not the class and faction balance in the upper tiers that you see in WoW. It also has nowhere near the polish that you see in WoW. If you're lucky enough to stumble into a PvE instance, you'll see that very clearly as you clear the instance and complete it (Don't expect a Dire Maul type encounter in the 2 Inevitable City's gladiator arena, it isn't even close to RFC). WAR is fun, but it's in no way a WoW killer, and it's far from "the best MMO out there right now". That title still falls to WoW, and that will be even more evident in November with WotLK.
  • Pentacube - October 4, 2008 12:38 p.m.

@phantomboner It kind of makes you look a little foolish to claim that Warhammer created the evil orc concept. I believe that may have spawned well before Warhammer's time... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_of_the_rings#Influences_on_the_fantasy_genre
  • phantomboner - October 4, 2008 10:45 a.m.

@Samael Please read carefully... "So the orcs and such are evil/savage in this? Thank you confirming this." At what point did i say otherwise? "I'm not very familiar with the Warhammer storyline" No, so i explained it to you, warhammer cant be a stereotype if it in fact defined the genre...
  • Samael - October 4, 2008 12:24 a.m.

@phantomboner So the orcs and such are evil/savage in this? Thank you confirming this.
  • MacGyver1138 - October 3, 2008 7:14 p.m.

I quit WOW due to all of the time consuming (and boring) requirements. Maybe I'll actually get back into an MMORPG now that I have seen some extended impressions of WAR.