• PhantomDave - September 19, 2012 3:18 p.m.

I can't argue with this, the same way I can't argue that Justin Bieber is popular. But to say that it STILL is, is beyond ridiculous and is for no other reason than attempting to generate hype for an expansion coming out. Because this game is far, FAR from what made it great in the first place anymore.... I used to love this game. I played for years of my life when it came out. But it turned into a joke to the point of actually pissing me off and quitting. The only reason such a majority keep playing it is because they like having their hands held to a level cap, or they've been playing so long they then have to start asking themselves why they've been wasting their time after the repeated care bearing it's progressively been going through. It's time to put this mess of a game to rest and begin with WoW2 already, and bring it back to it's competitive roots. No more of this "Everyone Gets A Trophy" mentality....
  • RyanTaljonick - September 19, 2012 3:26 p.m.

But why SHOULDN'T everyone get a trophy for playing? The people who put more time into still get the shinier ones, anyway. Your raid / PVP gear has far better stats than anything from a hard mode 5-man run.
  • KnowYourPokemon - September 19, 2012 5:28 p.m.

Exactly. I'll never understand the mind set honestly.
  • Juicyfruit - September 19, 2012 4:27 p.m.

Opinions are great huh?
  • NelosAngelos - September 19, 2012 2:57 p.m.

While I've grown bored and am starting to get frustrated with this game's shortcomings. I will admit, of the 7 years I've played on and off with this game, many hours of it were very enjoyable. No one can deny that Blizzard did something right with this game, and 10 million people at one time all agreed the same thing. I love Warcraft, always will. World of Warcraft however I don't think I'll ever go back to, but I will say that it left a huge impression on my life as well as the MMO genre probably for the rest of it's history.
  • ObliqueZombie - September 19, 2012 2:47 p.m.

Fantastic article, Ryan. I started playing at the beginning of last summer, and though I had a few months hiatus (thanks to SWTOR--I regret nothing), I've been back on track for a few more months and I can honestly say I haven't enjoyed a game this much in a long, long time; not to mention enjoying for a long time. The lore, too, is what draws me in the most. I'm nothing if not reliant on ambiance, atmosphere, and straight-up feeling, and WoW nails in in the MMO department. Christie Golden has written some of my favorite game-to-book iterations, and I'm eager to continuously delve into the lore. It's just such a shame I can't play this, play every other game, and go to college and get a job effectively. If only I wasn't a rounded gamer, maybe I could sink more time into it.
  • RyanTaljonick - September 19, 2012 2:50 p.m.

Thanks! Some of Golden's WoW novels were pretty rad; others not so much. But there's a LOT of great story in that game if people are willing to sort through it and pay attention :D
  • ObliqueZombie - September 19, 2012 7:33 p.m.

Yeah, Christie Golden is, I believe, the Golden Goose of the WoW novels. Most, if not all, of her stuff is stellar. I personally have read The Shattering, Thrall, and her brand new Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War, all of which gave me emotional roller coasters I never thought WoW lore capable of. Richard A. Knaak, however, I've heard didn't do it justice. Not a personal word of mine, but just something I've heard from Vanillan WoW fans I know. But seriously, if you have some time, I recommend Jaina Proudmoore whole-heartedly. I'm usually a slow reader, and three days is what it took for my to finish this wonderful piece of literature.
  • JohnEP - September 19, 2012 2:12 p.m.

I have to agree. The hours eaten away from my life by WoW is truly staggering. I finally quit due to sheer saturation but I can remember events in the game better than things that have happened in RL. World of Warcraft will go down in history as the best computer game ever created.
  • Xtapolapopotamus - September 19, 2012 2:06 p.m.

Great article, and anyone who says WoW sucks is generally a troll. The game may not be for everyone, especially now, but its mark on the MMO genre and gaming in general simply can't be ignored. I thought I was done for good after Cata, but I've re-subbed and am eagerly anticipating MoP. Whatever the exact reason is, WoW is hard to stop paying attention to.