Topics

Sony

• Jok3rNThi3f - January 8, 2011 6:12 p.m.

Horsecrap. He wants to pirate it and there's all thats to it. Of course he's going to say otherwise. Not only that, he, and all of you signed the TOS to play online. /You/ signed them, /You/ didn't bother to read them. As far as SCE is concerned, you don't have the right to play online if you break them. But, another thing most of you probably missed, they can change the PS3 to the manor they saw best fit. And they did.
  • Mangrail - January 8, 2011 5:55 p.m.

@keefstr10 - "GeoDouche can go drown in a pool of his mothers blood." Well done 'sir'. You win today's prize for 'Person Most Likely To Be Chemically Castrated For Public Safety'! If you get this bent out of shape over the potential threat of software piracy, I'd hate to cut in line in front of you. Cretin. @Brumbek - thanks for the reminder of another of Justins poorly constructed arguments - he mentions the DS-cracking R4 card almost in the same breath as stating that devs aren't developing for PSP due to piracy!
  • lnksmartt - January 8, 2011 5:52 p.m.

damn, it sure would suck if developers stopped making games for PS3 because they were worried about not making a profit...
  • zakaweb - January 8, 2011 4:08 p.m.

I hope that this guy is sued and even sent to jail. I hate hackers and piracy and all the idiots who support them.
  • SteveST - January 8, 2011 9:57 a.m.

I've never heard the "Sony's making money on every PS3 they sell, so if more people are buying full-price consoles to play the free games, everyone's a winner" used until now, but isn't the main reason that it's such a stupid argument simply that Sony make no money on the sale of each console? One of the reasons for the PS3 Slim was to change materials and manufacturing processes in an attempt to save costs and thereby draw closer to parity between what it costs Sony to make the console and what they can sell it for. Prior to that they were making a loss on every console iirc. Steve.
  • jmcgrotty - January 8, 2011 9:46 a.m.

Two important things, which may have already been said (I don't feel like hearing everyone yell at each other for 91 posts): 1)GeoHot didn't do this latest hack situation. It was by a group called fail0verflow. 2) Don't get too upset yet about this happening. There is no reasons to believe that they really did hack the system, and there is no reason to believe Sony can't patch it yet. All that has happened is that a group made a presention at the Chaos Communication Congress conference. Nothing more than an unverified proof of concept idea. For now.
  • Brumbek - January 8, 2011 8:55 a.m.

Sorry Mr. Towell, but you are wrong. If piracy is to blame for bad PSP game selection, then why at RELEASE of the PSP were there hardly any good games? PSP has never had good games from day one, hence why it trails DS. Then again, PSP is second best selling handheld ever, so I can't really say it's a failure. The bigger reason you are wrong is because the vast, vast majority will still buy games even if they can pirate. People like to own things. Anyway...whatever.
  • TKTOWA - January 8, 2011 8:10 a.m.

This is why PC gaming sucks. It's only Blizzard, crap RTS, crap dungeon-grinders and Nancy Drew games. Unfortunately, before the end of my life, all gaming platforms will suck. It's already started to happen.
  • FinderKeeper - January 8, 2011 6:48 a.m.

@QWERTYCommander "So what if it voids a legal contract?" If you're breaking the contract, you've lost any legal leg to stand on. Do what you will; that's free will, after all. However, by doing what you will you also accept responsibility for your actions if you are sued or banned. If you freely choose to break a contract which you willingly entered, you give the plaintiff (aggrieved party to the contract) legal recourse against you for breach of said contract.
  • QWERTYCommander - January 8, 2011 6:23 a.m.

(Cont.) Justin Towell, you just lost my respect.
  • QWERTYCommander - January 8, 2011 6:22 a.m.

Justin, Justin... Your rebuttal to the "I don't believe in piracy – I'm only going to use homebrew on it." argument is TERRIBLE. So what if I use it for homebrew? So what if it voids a legal contract? I'm not hurting anyone by downloading homebrew for my DS and Wii. The only thing I have to worry about is the console company. And it's not like I'll need them if I'm careful, either. I'll only need them if I get a brick out of my own stupidity. Oh, and most of these console hackers are against piracy (Example: Team Twiizers, creator of the Wii Homebrew Channel). This is like saying emulators and Bittorrent clients are illegal. They can be used illegally, but they were intended to be used legally. In fact, your entire article can be debunked with this: arikadosblog . blogspot . com / 2010 / 12 / hackers-vs-gamers . html # more
  • chicknwang93 - January 8, 2011 4:56 a.m.

Unfortunately, most gamers are complete a**holes with no moral conscience. And while its dumb for people to pirate games, it was dumb for Sony not to use good security software in the first place. Even if they had to sacrifice certain features in order to safeguard their funds. It would be stupid to try and blame one party for this folly.
  • Snowyjoe - January 8, 2011 4:18 a.m.

We should all just throw away our consoles and all go to the Arcade to play a game... you know... like the olden days??
  • SideOfBeef - January 8, 2011 3:55 a.m.

So the game developers take another undeserved hit and my career prospects just got a little bit worse. Big thanks guys.
  • Keefster10 - January 8, 2011 3:46 a.m.

Geohot can gurgle my boiling piss while scrunching down my delicious, bloody excrement. And thats that. I just bought my ps3, and I damn well won't see the system die cause a pimply virgin wants to shoot himself in the foot as a gamer. Idiocy. Justin, you hit the nail on the head ; getting this stuff free means devs don't get money, games don't get made. These basement dwellers simply don't see it that way; where do they get their sense of entitlement to free stuff? Pigs. I make it a point to be legal with my stuff - I won't jailbreak any of my things... I admit, I'll buy used, but only if the discount is like 30 or 40 dollars or something. But when the discrepancy is 5 dollars, I'll pay to support the devs. And buying used is a whole other ballpark than this pile of donkey diarrhea. As someone is pursuing both creative writing and programming to get some sort of position at a dev studio, be it writer or designer, I don't wanna see the industry go under because a couple of giraffe blowers decide to ruin it. That said, Piracy plagues all forms of media - music, movies, etc. There are pirates. However, pirating EVERY single game on AN ENTIRE SYSTEM, to me, is a whole different ballpark than separate songs getting jacked. But its still bad. Will the entire platform die? Haha, no. There are enough people who are unaware of these hacks, or do not know enough about technology to do such a thing. There are also people who out of principle avoid this steaming elephant mucus, like me, so... no the thing won't bite the big one. But sony will lose money, devs may get owned, and the effect as a whole is bad. GeoDouche can go drown in a pool of his mothers blood.
  • SolidEye - January 8, 2011 3:39 a.m.

Wanting to make your own homebrew software doesn't give them the right to exploit and tamper with the hardware. They are stealing with absolutely NO VALID REASON. They are nothing more than criminals and are potentially ruining the security of every PS3 owners for their own selfish reason. They shouldn't even be allowed to even try to do this in the first place. Seriously, I hope Sony sues their asses off.
  • Brizee - January 8, 2011 3:32 a.m.

From what I can tell we still aren't drawing the right parallel's here - more and more people say well it happened to the music industry and they're fine however consider the business model of making a record: A recording studio is invested in one time plus to a lesser extent maintenance costs, it has an obvious purpose and will almost definitely make returns - it is a low risk investment, after that you get an artist in to record - free, you pay a couple of salaries to man the studio and edit the audio tracks etcetra, finally off of those salaries you have a track which you can immediately monetise in the form of radio deals and digital downloads, you can immediately prove its popularity and gain further investment to create physical copies to sell from there you can omit the recording studio and start again, minimal low risk investment. By comparison a studio making a game starts with an idea, the first thing they have to do is create a plan, funding salaries themselves and then with just a plan for a one-off game seek investment, this is relatively high risk as you can only predict how the public will react to it and how well it will sell. Assuming you do secure that investment you will spend the best part of a year at least, making said game using this investment for everything until its ready to go out, finally once all of the work is done however long that took you are ready to monetise. A larger, higher risk investment. So the risk from piracy then, at a very simplistic stage the music industry can very inexpensively push a project to digital download stage and lost profits won't affect them greatly, a publisher on the other hand may no longer be able to make the initial investment on a project it likes meaning 1 less game exists and critically as already happens - games studio's will create low-risk games, following formula's that they know sell. When you also consider the ratio of technologically savvy movie watchers to that of gamers, it'd be reasonable to assume games piracy is going to be more prevalent than film or music piracy, not that I am saying all who can will. Finally, you have to understand the nature of the hack, obviously I am no hacker myself and don't completely understand but it seems to me that rather than forcing the console to do things it wouldn't normally the method they've found is the actual legitimate method that Published games use to authenticate themselves with the console. This means there is no check that can spot pirates and no waves of bans to keep them in check, you can pirate a game and have the console acknowledge it as the real deal. This could well be very harmful to Sony and you can probably kiss goodbye to PS3 compatibility in the PS4. That said no they aren't going to fall to dust and Xbox won't reign supreme, they'll fall back on other massive parts of their company to buffer them til next gen. Publisher relations is what's really going to be knocked and you can definitely expect fewer Playstation exclusives should they not find a solution. (I'm still not counting that as entirely impossible) Personally I am of the opinion Sony should make something available to homebrew enthusiasts, but this isn't how you go about convincing them to create more room for holes in there security.
  • RonnyLive19881 - January 8, 2011 3:21 a.m.

Serves Sony right for Ripping off Nintendo all these years. I am not one bit ashamed. I buy games from developers I support so yes, I do buy a few PS3 games but come on... from what they have been doing to Nintendo for years what do they expect?
  • Spybreak8 - January 8, 2011 2:51 a.m.

Unfortunately you run into the morality issue when you mod systems. I mod pretty much everything I own but I choose not to mod it to get free stuff (it's who I am and how I was raised). I can play SNES and N64 games on my original Xbox (along with having a flexible media player too), watch videos of tv shows or ripped DVDs/Blurays on my DS and if I had an iPhone I'd "jailbreak" it to get the full potential of the tech! Also unfortunate there are a lot of cheap bastards out there who can look past the moral dilemma here.
  • Hydrohs - January 8, 2011 2:24 a.m.

I usually pirate a PC game before buying, often because demos are either not available or don't give a good enough idea of what the game is actually like. If I enjoy it then I go buy it, if not then I just don't play it again. I plan do to the same here if possible. I support what I enjoy.