• xXHaloKillerXx - October 29, 2008 1:15 a.m.

I agree with the list but Bioshock was scary as hell.
  • lamentconfig - October 29, 2008 1:08 a.m.

again, another article and subsequent comments from people whose gaming history only goes back to about 2005. Has anyone played System Shock 2?? How about Undying?? The original Silent Hill?? These games are as scary as almost any horror movie I can think of. In fact, the Silent Hill movie doesn't compare with the terrifying game.
  • Z-man427 - October 29, 2008 12:52 a.m.

i loved the reference to Nosferatu. great silent film. Metropolis is a good one too
  • Mystery514 - October 29, 2008 12:36 a.m.

That does make you think......if there was a game that restarted as you die, I would hardly believe it would be enjoyable. But, on the other side, it would give gamers the experience they need to actually play a game with dangers rather than "restarting at last save point....."
  • Amnesiac - October 29, 2008 12:21 a.m.

I'd like to refute at least a couple of these. "Graphics aren't the same quality": well, what about the "gore" in films? That's not real, its as fake as the graphics you're looking at in a game. "The weapons": Would you rather be stabbed by a butcher knife or Pyramid Head's Great Knife? I thought so. And not that many (good) horror games give you the overpowered, fantastical weapons the Dead Space does. "Repitition": Sure, you never know how Freddie might kill. What about Jason? Machete, all day every day. Leatherface? Chainsaw. Every time. "Too much left to the imagination": I think its a problem with the game ratings system more than anything. Remember Manhunt 2? They couldn't even go as far as they wanted because videogames are held to a different standard. But still, this article raises some great points. Good stuff, despite my bitching. :)
  • RaIdEn - October 28, 2008 11:58 p.m.

i think that games like silent hill 3, clocktower and fatal frame have the right idea. a teenage girl with NO weapons expeience is scary. a guy that knows ho to use a gun and can kick some ass, Not scary (im looking at you leon!)
  • lava_lamp - October 28, 2008 11:56 p.m.

good article but about the powerful weapon thing in silent hill u dont get unrealistic weapoms, u get like a toaster or something
  • spacecase610 - October 28, 2008 10:50 p.m.

Actually, I have been scared in 2 videogames. If you want to be scared, try this. Ravenholm, in the middle of the night, with no other sources of noise. If that doesn't work, wait for a room to fog up in Bioshock.
  • lucashintz - October 28, 2008 10:34 p.m.

Now i'm a total wuss but I've never been scared by a game.
  • F-Bomb - October 28, 2008 10:33 p.m.

so true T_T
  • CuddlyBomber - October 28, 2008 10:17 p.m.

Uhhh ya. Try every game from the 8-bit era. Oh and sweet article. Realy made me think.
  • KillDrone - October 28, 2008 10:05 p.m.

Come to think of it, does anyone know of a game like that?
  • schmeidenkamp - January 28, 2009 8:28 p.m.

Some of your points are totally valid. But on the other hand I cant help but disagree. Being scared by games totally depend on the person. If you let yourself get into it, dismiss all of the things you mentioned, turn it up loud and shut off the lights, you will most assuredly have a good time. I'll be honest and tell you right now, the Silent Hill series has continually scared the living shit out of me. With the exception of Homecoming and Origins. That feeling of dread an uncertainty, IMO, is unmatched
  • slackerinthepub - December 18, 2008 6:37 a.m.

RE4 regenerators = creepy as hell