• dustLOOP - October 30, 2008 12:22 a.m.

All the points are great and like a few have said, stole mine! haha! Anyway, some games are scary, but it is literally a case of the progress you have done just grows into anger for most people repeating the same bit. I'm stunned NO ONE has mentioned the only game I have known in history that where you can make saved games, but also if you die, your save game gets deleted. For people who don't know, you ready? STEEL BATTALLION! This game was amazingly pricey with THE BIGGEST controller I have ever seen in my life and also had massive steel peddles. Playing this game with the sound up in front of a big TV is amazing! It was out of this world for what it was. While it was short lived, the xbox live on it was great as well because you knew someone may be forgetting to press the fire extinuisher button while blasting away in a firefight. But yeah, I have lost count with how many times I have reached the last mission and died, then having to start again. Now you might think you can just turn off the xbox as you die, but you still lose your save game because as soon as you die, it auto saves/deletes. The only way to save yourself is to press the eject button, but even then you only have 2, mabye 3 seconds to press it! Now that is true fear haha!
  • Samuel71 - October 29, 2008 9:14 p.m.

I completely disagree. I have watched many, many horror movies, and none of them have scared me. Most video games don't, either. However, try some horror-themed, first-person point-and-click adventure games, such as Ben Leffler's Exmortis games. Those can be much more frightening than any horror movie.
  • rebel748 - October 29, 2008 9:07 p.m.

Bioshock is NOT scary.Only a chicken could be scared by genetically enhanced richies and people wearing oversized helmets.Great game though.
  • GamesRadarJoeMcNeilly - October 29, 2008 8:26 p.m.

If you liked Nosferatu, definitely check out Shadow of the Vampire. Its a brilliant (fictional) account of the making of Nosferatu starring John Malkovitch and Willem Dafoe, among others.
  • MacGyver1138 - October 29, 2008 8:14 p.m.

I think it's just different types of scares for the different types of media. Movies can do psychological scares better than games (except for maybe Eternal Darkness and it's Sanity Meter), but I think both games and movies can give you the more startled scares. I don't know why people keep saying that that isn't a game scaring you. Just because it is only a quick shock of fear, doesn't mean you aren't scared. I agree with one previous poster that books seem to have the best scares. If you really get in to a book, it can leave you very unsettled for quite some time, and I don't feel like movies or games do that as well.
  • Jigglesbig - October 29, 2008 7:48 p.m.

The two games in recent times that have made me almost shit a brick from being scared would be Bioshock and RE4: Bioshock, the room misted up, turned around and a doctor was about to inject me with a syringe. I almost shat a brick at that. I think I set the corpse on fire several times in rage and fear. RE4: I was up to a pretty scary bit, when the lightbulb in my room fell out of the socket and almost hit me in the back of the head. Okay, yeah, so it was something that happened in real life that made me scared, but it stopped me playing the game out of fear.
  • noobeater - October 29, 2008 6:56 p.m.

i aint really afraid of scary movies but theyre 100000x scarier than games. period games are not scary simply because of weapons you use if there guns its easy and if its stuff you find laying around then its fun to beat stuff. however only once did a game have me kinda scared and that was when i was in the cave bit on RE4 and i heard the chainsaw revving i refused to go any further for a couple of minutes till i was sure i HAD to go to it. great article
  • maven_zer09 - October 29, 2008 6:48 p.m.

well, there's one game that really made me scared, Clive Barker's Undying. The mansion was really creepy, all those sounds, voices, whispers... and those images... though i was 12 at that time, but to be honest, i don't remember any other media that has scared me: no book, no movie, no other game... but take me to any highrise floor with a number greater than 10, and I'll faint out just by being there... crophobia
  • Metallica - October 29, 2008 3:35 p.m.

Games not scary?! I was afraid to turn on my console when I entered Ravenholm in Half-Life. Fuck, man...
  • fionnoh - October 29, 2008 2:05 p.m.

wow, three pages of comments already? i wish i could contribute :( honestly all my points have been brought up already. great article.
  • Kez73 - October 29, 2008 2:01 p.m.

I’ve never been scared by a film. Games however, get to me. I remember having to turn off the original Thief (TDP) because I was afraid to go around the corner and see what was making that noise. Pyramid Head terrified me. Currently Dead Space is giving me nightmares. I feel my heart beat and panic increase with Isaac’s. I find playing on your own and in the dark make a real difference to the fear level. Really looking forward to SH5 but live in the UK and no one can make up their mind when it will be released here.
  • GodlikeApe - October 29, 2008 11:45 a.m.

I've just started playing Dead Space and apart from a seemingly dead enemy jumping up to attack me, making me jump it's not what I'd call scary. I mean my little sister could creep up behind me and go 'BOO!' and it'd have the same effect. I'm finding it more frustrating IE: running out of ammo, and having to run away, I WANT TO CHOP OFF THEIR LEGS GODDAMMIT!!!
  • Soulreaverm - October 29, 2008 6:26 a.m.

I agree with most of these, but I have been scared by many games. However, each time you get scared in a game its, 'Ohshit scary thing I'm dead now start again'. The horror is gone instantly, whereas other media such as stories have literally given me nightmares. When I first started playing Bioshock I was completely freaked out by the environments, the splicers, and especially the sounds. But once you die a few times, and realise that all you have to do is keep running out of the vita chamber and firing the shotgun over and over, it's not scary anymore.
  • Hunter2458 - October 29, 2008 6 a.m.

So, A first person horror game with weapons being just what you can find lying around (if you're that lucky), an enemy or enemies you can only see if you make it possible to see, no pauses, no continues or restarts (if you die you have to play as a new character every time)...if you get stabbed, all you see is from first person (you looks down and there's a knife, but that's all you see...is it coming out the back? Check a mirror or try to look)...this is actually starting to sound kinda fun...
  • ChuckB - October 29, 2008 4:50 a.m.

Wait, I'm confused: people complained about SH3 because you literally had to run for your life compared to actually fighting "your demons" in the previous iterations so...is this hypocrisy or has gaming created some rift to the meaning of horror?
  • garnsr - October 29, 2008 4:10 a.m.

I thought Halloween was completely lame. Not at all scary. And what the hell am I supposed to read here to verify my humanity and enter my comment? spered dicate? What the hell?
  • cog114 - October 29, 2008 3:04 a.m.

what if they made a virtual reality system where you actualy experience the movie but you have no control over yourself. like watching the movie through the characters eyes
  • Defguru7777 - October 29, 2008 2:39 a.m.

I must be a puss, cause RE 1 scared the shit out of me! In my defense, it was the GCN one, not the PS1 version.
  • jar-head - October 29, 2008 1:56 a.m.

Killdrone: ever seen a Legend of Zelda ocarina of time fast? theres one guy on youtube who was on ganon and Died because his batteries for his game cube controller, although funny as hell, his "restart" ended him all the way plus 8hours Back into the beginning of the game.
  • GaMeZ4LiFe - October 29, 2008 1:38 a.m.

This is very true. If you think about it I have never actually been afraid of a video game. I have young child memories of being scared to death by movies like The Shining, The Omen, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Never a videogame.