• winner2 - February 15, 2012 2:52 p.m.

This is a crap-ton of text, so you'll forgive me Mr. Houghton if I'll just skip reading the majority of the article, and just say I applaud you for starting tons of disputes and arguments rife with name calling and contempt through the publishing of a single article.
  • Dman3981 - February 15, 2012 2:06 p.m.

Lets face facts though, the vast majority rather enjoy the simplicity of a console over the complex and expensive PC. I have both a gaming PC and a PS3 but my main system is PS3 simply because that's where all my friends are. I have about 5 people on my friends list on steam that I know and around 70 for PS3. The only time I play PC is when steam has a sale on a game that interests me.
  • CoffeeForTheAdmiral - February 15, 2012 2:02 p.m.

I for one am staying a console gamer because, as people keep forgetting, not everyone has access to high speed internet. Without that PC gaming is impossible, but console gaming is merely difficult. (Unless it's Skyrim on PS3, of course.) All my posts are about my lack of internet. I'm beginning to think I have an obsession.
  • rxb - February 15, 2012 2:01 p.m.

Sadly Hooters I agree with every word. What I find confusing is when publishers are asking for new consoles to drive sales. I understand tech has to move on but cant they see the costs that next gen will bring?
  • Person5 - February 15, 2012 1:01 p.m.

Well I might as well put my opinion into this ring. I grew up a console gamer, and am still a console gamer. Just because I'm a console gamer doesn't mean I hate PC gaming though. I actually consider myself more of a hybrid gamer nowadays than anything. I have my xbox for most games, but then there are also all the lovely indie games and pc only games(which as far as I can tell are rare) which I play on Steam. But that's what I use my PC for, the indie games or the games that are kind of "out there" in premise that wouldn't make it on a console. When it comes down to it I truly prefer my xbox to PC, there is just something about sitting down in a comfortable chair after a long day, in front of a big TV with controller in hand that's just relaxing and fun. With my PC I'm forced to play on my monitor which is obviously smaller than my TV, and the way I must operate a mouse and keyboard it just doesn't feel as laid back as sitting back with a controller. that's just my opinion though, I'm not gonna use tech specs or anything because they will always be in PC's favor, but in terms of atmosphere when sitting down to enjoy a single player game, you can't beat a console IMO.
  • ncurry2 - February 15, 2012 1:33 p.m.

I agree. I still have this PC for LoL, SC2, and Super Meat Boy. I spent $800 on it back in 2010 and have used it more for school work and that sort of thing. But it chugs along at SC2 and I am much happier playing games on PS3/Wii than upgrading this thing. I use it to play games that I can't on my other systems. Local multiplayer is the real kicker for me.
  • Shadow Of Death - February 15, 2012 2:45 p.m.

I have a PS3 and 360 and while I occasionally get 'not available on PC' games for them (Been playing the Atelier Rorona game for PS3 for example), they stand largely unused. I haven't even booted up my 360 in probably 6 months? While there is a certain 'laid back, relaxing' enjoyment with a console and a TV....It's not like you can't do that with many PC games, if you really wanted to. I use a wired 360 controller with a number of PC games (3rd person and arcade-y games. Never use it for FPS games). Hooking up a PC to a TV, at least if you use HDMI cables (or if the TV actually has DVI) is much the same. It's not as convenient really, I know, but the option is there for those that want it. Plus, a PC (Especially HTPC build) would make for a superior video watching machine. Stick a BD-R into one and watch BDs, plus downloaded and streamed videos. Yes, not as convenient as putting a disk in a tray, but a lot of options open up with that method. That said, there is something to be said of the simplicity of just turning on a TV, inserting a BD/DVD into a player, turning on the surround sound (if you have one), and sitting pack, letting the dedicated devices handle everything for you.
  • Thedigitalg - February 15, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Why not run your pc through the tv? My 'monitor' is currently a 52" 3D LED TV, and my fucking Christ it's beautiful.
  • Galgomite - February 15, 2012 12:34 p.m.

"And if those big publishers don’t drop their insistence on an expensive, blockbuster-driven mentality, console games are only going to get safer and more sequel-centric as they get more expensive." Publishers aren't risking tens of millions for their health, they're following the sales. Gamers decide what the big publishers produce with their purchases. What's more, while indy gaming may be struggling on consoles, it didn't even exist until this generation-- that's progress!
  • tacehtselrahc - February 15, 2012 12:32 p.m.

A great article and I completely agree, I bought a new PC at the end of last year after becoming increasingly dissillusioned with the way console gaming was heading, particularly the XBox 360. I am now fully back into PC gaming and enjoying it.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - February 15, 2012 12:24 p.m.

I really don't want a new console, I'm perfectly happy with my 360 the way it is. I don't see why the new generation has to start next year, or even in the next 3 years.
  • closer2192 - February 15, 2012 12:14 p.m.

1. Costs increasing isn't really that surprising 2. How many of those numerous more PC games are shit?
  • lrem - February 15, 2012 12:11 p.m.

Fantastic article! I've noticed a lot of similar things, and been thinking of making the jump to PC gaming. A shame it's expensive to get yourself set up for it, but it would probably be worth it...
  • boondocks50 - February 15, 2012 12:08 p.m.

im glad i finally got a pc to play games on, my main complaint against new consoles is there is still a lot left to do with this gen(especially with the ps3)but i also agree with most of what you said in the article
  • Spiderman - February 15, 2012 11:38 a.m.

I would agree, except that I have hilariously bad luck with computer games. By that, I mean that pretty much any game I buy, physically or digitally, doesn't work. In a few rare cases, I have fixed the issue. Mainly though, I just lose out. This, regardless of my computer. My old desktop, new alienware desktop, and laptop all refuse to play really any games. Whether new (TOR) old (Return to Wolfenstein) big (Shogun 2) or small (Dinner Date) none of these games work. They crash immediately or refuse to load. Sonic CD from Steam crashes my computer! None of these computers share chipsets, hardrives, or any common theme I can see. So, when I want to play a game, I go play one on my Xbox. Regardless of flaws, I don't have to worry about the game not working on the system. And I will just never really be able to support PC gaming. Weirdly enough, I have no problems with Macs. Now, if they just made more games for them...
  • db1331 - February 15, 2012 12:58 p.m.

"None of these computers share chipsets, hardrives, or any common theme I can see." The common theme is you. You're the perfect example of a computer illiterate. You want to play on PC, but you don't know enough to build your own rig. So you pay $800-$1000 more than you would've if you built your own, just for a computer in a case with a glowing alien head on it. Because you don't know how to build one, you probably also don't know how they work. You do stupid things like try to run a new game with 2 year old drivers on your video card. Or you can't be bothered to look at the forum for one of these games that "don't work", where there is a stickied thread at the top of the board with a 10 second fix for your exact issue. So what do you do then? You overpay $1200 more for another computer, this time with a shiny white case and an an apple on it, then wish more people made games for it. People like you are exactly who should be the ones playing solely on consoles, so just ignore this article and keep doing what you're doing.
  • GhostNappa2k10 - February 15, 2012 2:42 p.m.

Any need to be a complete arse? Instead of insulting the person because they don't understand PC gaming, and how rigs work, you should be helping out. No wonder the PC community gets a bad rep for being elitists, when there's twits like you around!
  • Thedigitalg - February 15, 2012 3:05 p.m.

Why are you such a dick? I did exactly what he did, bought an Alienware because I had the cash, and as games progressed I just learned how to better the computer myself. I certainly struggled with it, and the stereotype that you're peddling of PC gamers being enormous cocks is fairly prevalent, when I asked a question I was laughed down. Now I finally know a graphics card from a wireless card, I love this shit, and detest anyone who tries discouraging and belittling someone who follows the same path. TL;DR stop being a dick, you're making the rest of us look bad
  • Spiderman - February 15, 2012 8:08 p.m.

Wow! Well, first off, I'd like to apologize if I managed to offend you somehow, db1331, because I certainly can't imagine why anyone would get so mad just over someone else's failings. Secondly, thank you to everybody who had helpful advice! PC gamers get a bad rap, but honestly there's a lot more level-headed individuals out there than trolls. So yes, it's true: I can't build my own rig. I simply don't have the expertise, and actually, having just started University, I don't really have the time to learn. Beyond that though, I find a large number of my problems don't really stem from a lack of power. It's completely possible that some minute conflict between certain parts of my system is what causes my problems, but it's just very upsetting to see the same thing happen repeatedly on different computers. There are many awesome PC games, and in fact, that's why I partitioned the drive on my Macbook and installed Windows. I like playing indie titles. (Also, why the hate for Macs? I bought one because I preferred the tools on it, and the increased stability, not for the games. Its great for animating! I just wish more games were made with both Mac and PC, because Civ 5 works great on Mac!) Also, yes. I only have a cursory understanding of my computer. I get what the different parts all do, but I've never opened one up. I'm not sure that makes me "computer illiterate" which would indicate no ability to use or understand one. I custom ordered my alienware because, after doing research and seeing the model my friend had, I believed it would be the best choice for gaming. Me and my brother split the cost, and it IS a good computer. We just had trouble with it sometimes. (I left it with him when I went to Uni. He's had pretty good luck so far.) For me, I like the convenience of playing something when I want to. Like Rayman Origins, which I'm playing right now on my 360. Excellent game! I've been on the steam forums. I've been able to fix the occasional issue (for KOTOR, it was disabling movies) but these fixes are not always easy, and sometimes require a greater understanding of the systems at work than I posses. In these cases I am incredibly grateful for all the help and support that the community gives. I am learning, as are we all, but for now there are just many games, which I have legally purchased, that refuse to run for some reason on my computer. Yes, that frustrates me! Also, db1331, in what world is it "stupid" to run a game with 2 year old hardware? You know what game runs on my old Macbook (on the Windows side)? Witcher 2! Which, I'll admit, is surprising, but still! A "stupid" thing would be to sleep on a train track or yell at someone for no good reason. This industry moves fast, but if it truly requires brand new hardware every 2 years just to be accessed, then the consoles really are superior. Which, I'd like to point out, is not what I believe. But it is what I get from your comments. Yeah, you can upgrade constantly, and get the latest and greatest graphics and sound. But it's not like a computer explodes if you try to run something 6 months after you get it! That by far is the most prevalent cliche for PC gaming, and if you truly have that mindset, than you are the one wasting money! Perhaps both consoles and computers have their place in this world (certainly, that would explain why they both came to exist together.) Perhaps I should only stick to consoles, which are convenient, and, at least by your apparent standards of upgrading, cheaper. Maybe only people like you should be "allowed" to play on PC. But to me, that seems like an incredibly close-minded attitude. There are times when I want to play MvC3 on a couch with friends. There are times when I want to play TOR. My problem is I can't right now do the latter. Yet I still buy the games. I want to play these games! I love the PC community, and the Console community, and the Gamesradar community (and lasertime community!) And I'm sure I'll need to ask for more help, but that shouldn't make me some kind of outcast. There's no reason to be elitist. No reason to label me as a "console gamer" (which is seriously not a bad thing. We can still both talk about games!) If you love your hobby, and are a good person, help out people like me. You weren't born good at this. If you really can build your own rig, you got info from someone else, whether online or in person. I shouldn't have said I CANT support PC gaming. What I should of said is right now I cant really be a part of it. But I'd still like to get along with everybody. That's what you do when you share a love of something. And I have a passion for videogames. I've spent a lot of time and money on it, and I don't regret it. You meet some great people through it, and have great experiences. One day I'll probably be able to help other people with it, but for now, I need some help. Just like anybody else. Thanks for listening. Almost all you guys and girls are great, so thank you.
  • comaqi - February 15, 2012 2:53 p.m.

Don't pay attention to the troll, he's an ass hole. If you want any help getting stuff up and running PM me sometime! I'd be glad to help.