Topics

Week of Hate

• JarkayColt - April 15, 2013 10:22 a.m.

Hmm. I agree with this, and then...I don't? Like, all the points are valid and yet I still feel as though I prefer a game having something to gauge its completion by. That way, once I reach 100% I'm satisfied that I've got the most out of the game, and from my money; the key is that there is a good and a bad way for it to be implemented. If you beat Lego City and still felt as though you hadn't scratched the surface, what does that say about the game? And can you really then complain about having gotten 60 hours from it? By which I mean, if those collectibles weren't there would you really have kept playing it? But it does work for games with a lot of collectibles. The completion % in Kid Icarus Uprising gave me more reason to try clearing all the challenges, for example. I never did it, but it's handy to know there's still stuff for you to find in a game. Sorry...I'm rambling. I'm just saying they shouldn't REALLY spoil anyone's enjoyment of a game.
  • sternparez - April 15, 2013 9:59 a.m.

What I hate the most is know how far into a game I am. The worst for this was POP Sands of Time, since it didn't have any unlockables, you saw you're completion percantage every time you saved or loaded it and that was purely for story!
  • Redeater - April 15, 2013 9:48 a.m.

On my deathbed I'll probably list off a bunch of games I 100% for achievements. "Fight Night.....why God...why did you let me think achievements were worth anything."
  • ObliqueZombie - April 15, 2013 9:32 a.m.

This is precisely why I'm switching over to PC gaming. Not for 100% completions, mind, but for those damn achievements. I would always strive to beat a game fully and get 1000Gs, at the expense of my fun. I'm slowly kicking that habit, as BioSock Infinite has helped me, and I scoff in the face of 100%-ing a game if it has no value to lore or story. (Unlike Arkham City's. I regret nothing.) Good start to the Week of Hate.
  • BladedFalcon - April 15, 2013 9:43 a.m.

As I understand it though, steam has achievements of some sort...I think.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 15, 2013 10:35 a.m.

None of which give a (now addictive) chime or point value. They do, however, lead me to play styles I never thought of. Trophies are similar, in that I couldn't care less of I got them--but they lead me to cool things I might never have known otherwise,
  • Bloodstorm - April 15, 2013 11:35 a.m.

But all 3 versions of a game (PC, 360, PS3) have the same exact achievements, Xbox just tied a arbitrary number to it (much like PS3 has gamer-levels dependent on the amount of trophies you've unlocked. Different arbitrary number, same effect). Even Steam has a progression bar for each game in your library, chowing your % of achievements earned.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 15, 2013 11:51 a.m.

Good thing I didn't know that. And thank YOU for telling me so I can avoid that page at all costs. Besides, it ties more into what Xbox has conditioned in me. The achievement pop was satisfying, and the arbitrary number was at the forefront of every profile. Steam, however, doesn't make it easy to see these progressions. You really have to dig for them. It puts whatever your friends have been playing/posting first, bringing more attention to that. As for PS3, I'm not sure. I just recently acquired one, and none of my friends own one. I know I haven't been hunting for them in any of the games I've been playing, though, and I couldn't be happier. Not that achievements made me unhappy, but still.
  • Bloodstorm - April 15, 2013 12:34 p.m.

Yeah, Steam tucks them away a little more than the other 2, and Xbox definitely makes a big deal about that useless number more than the others.
  • TheCakeIsaPie - April 15, 2013 9:21 a.m.

Some games are definitely worse than others. I happily completed "Arkham Asylum" and considered it a labor of love. "Arkham City," however, was just ludicrous. I got to about 85% or 90% before throwing in the Towell.
  • GR_JustinTowell - April 15, 2013 11:11 a.m.

Throwing in the me? Surely you mean 'towel'? :)
  • TheCakeIsaPie - April 15, 2013 11:15 a.m.

hehehe... maybe. :P
  • Bloodstorm - April 15, 2013 11:37 a.m.

Agreed. It felt much more tedious in Arkham Ciy.
  • Rojoco - April 15, 2013 9:13 a.m.

I'm currently 60 hours and 72.52% into Just Cause 2. Thankfully the platinum trophy only requires I reach 75% and I'm hoping once I've earned that it will satisfy the completionist in me. If it doesn't I may never leave Panau because I see no way of reaching 100% with an open world so huge. As someone with genuine OCD I really shouldn't be allowed to play open world games at all.
  • SomberOwl - April 15, 2013 9:02 a.m.

I think this is my first comment on GamesRadar. I have to say I couldn't agree more! Percentage counters are just plain dumb. Especially the ones that tell you your progress in the game. I don't want to know how far from the end I am. I'm also hating on collectables in most games. Most of the time its just a dumb mechanic to extend the time of the game, and they'll shove that dumb percentage counter down your throat so your enticed to get them. I wish games would go back to the days of no 100%-ing and Achievement/Trophy hunting. Most of the time it just doing something I wouldn't normally be doing in the game to get an achievement/trophy and thats not how games should be enjoyed.
  • taokaka - April 15, 2013 8:58 a.m.

Lego city undercover is a kids game and you're not a weirdo for having 100%ed it, you're a weirdo for having played it and a complete manchildish noob for hazing 100%ed it. You need a real game, like COD. I will win the week of hate just try and stop me. But anyway, I always used to see the completion rate as a challenge and I'd get egged on and play the game for an extra session passed what I should have and would've ended up regretting the time spent instead of investing it in my pile of shame. Nowadays though I couldn't care less, although I did feel egged on by Tekken tag 2's win/lose ratio to play more to change that but I ended up just sticking with easy matches instead of just playing normally, I reverted back to playing normally somewhat quickly after I realised I missed the unfairly difficult battles against Jun.
  • mafyooz - April 15, 2013 8:47 a.m.

After driving myself half insane trying to find all the graffiti and oysters in San Andreas to get 100% completion, I vowed that never again will I get that obsessed. But it still nags at at me when I know there may be something still hidden out there....
  • GR_JustinTowell - April 15, 2013 8:52 a.m.

Did you look for Bigfoot? (I'm so, so sorry...!)
  • mafyooz - April 15, 2013 9:01 a.m.

No, after the amount of time I wasted looking for UFO's I decided against hunting for him......
  • StrayGator - April 15, 2013 9:06 a.m.

I make this vow after each TT Lego game, only to break it when the opportunity rises. Although Lego LOTR had a bug that capped me at 99.8%, and I don't have (or plan to get) a WiiU, so we might be getting somewhere.