Topics

Week of Hate

• IcePotato - April 28, 2011 2:25 a.m.

I don't trust any game journalist who defends Activision.
  • TriforcePlayer - April 28, 2011 5:24 p.m.

I've always enjoyed their superhero games. Looking forward to Edge of Time and Prototype 2. I hope they'll get Raven to make another X-Men Legends game.
  • DanAmrich - April 28, 2011 8:36 p.m.

@VaneTrago: It's funny how people recall history differently. I remember being personally harassed by PGNx members in IMs -- really childish stuff, frankly -- and if you can tell me how I was shitty to you, let's have a conversation. Because you're apparently holding a grudge for, what, 10 years -- and I don't even know what I supposedly did? You better bring some details, and they'd better be compelling. If you can disprove my research on Kotick's quote, you should step up there too.
  • DanAmrich - April 28, 2011 8:48 p.m.

I think a lot of people here totally missed the point, or only read what they wanted to read. I am not saying "Activision is big" is the ONLY reason people hate Activision; I said it's a factor. You say DLC is more than you want to pay? Well, developers gotta eat. I considered getting into the $15-for-5 vs the $10-for-3 model (which is what other games have done, with less criticism) but that's not the way the conversation went. You didn't want a plastic skateboard for Tony Hawk games? Well, you also said you didn't want to play another one like the old ones, and you constantly say you want innovation and fresh ideas. So they tried one, and went big on it. Didn't work out. Didn't sell. You didn't buy it, I'm guessing, so it didn't affect you personally. Unless you want to offer some respect for them trying a completely new idea and assuming all the fiscal and creative risk that came with it, it's time to let this one go. COD comes out every year? Yes, and the developers have two years to work on their title. The market has responded very strongly to this. If the devs are getting what they need and the gamers are getting what they very clearly want...I don't agree with this objection. Everything people are citing here as their personal reasons for hating Activision are valid. I don't agree with all of them, and there are other sides of this that people are not considering. Unpopular decisions that the company makes, from pricing to cancellations to marketing to whatever else you can think of, can be detailed until the cows come home. I can help rattle some of them off. Not listing them specifically doesn't mean you're wrong. Doesn't mean I'm wrong either. Chris and I could have gone on about a lot more, and I could have offered more than just the two examples I offered -- but he had a deadline, I had other stuff to do, and I think they are the biggest factors in how Activision got to where it is now as a star in the Week of Hate.
  • DanAmrich - April 28, 2011 8:51 p.m.

@GwaR: "hit Dan with some actual hard questions and call him to the carpet with some specific scenarios in Activision's recent past. They've mis-handled plenty of things, by admission from multiple developers recently. So let's ask them to de-bunk those 'myths'." Drop me a line. If it's something I can comment on, I will, but if it's anything to do with a lawsuit, I'm probably not going to be able to offer any insight or even personal opinion. Your internet rage is not worth my job or my appearance on a witness stand. But otherwise...I was not bluffing with the two-way communication thing. My email is dan@oneofswords.com.
  • graboids - April 28, 2011 8:57 p.m.

this article's images make it look like I hate Dan & Activision... I do not hate Dan :)
  • Consti2tion - April 29, 2011 3:53 a.m.

Obvious fluff piece is obvious. You insult gamers everywhere. i don't care if the guy used to work for you or not. call me when a real article gets written.
  • DanAmrich - April 29, 2011 7:45 p.m.

Kieran sent me a mail regarding the price of map packs, and I was in the middle of answering it when my PC freaked out, and now I can no longer find either his message or my response. Kieran, send me another note please.
  • DanAmrich - April 29, 2011 7:48 p.m.

"I love how mega-corporations can act like this and then blame the consumers for said corporations own shortcomings." Mole, you gotta educate yourself, because right now you are part of the problem. Read my Kotick article, realize that you are passing around out-of-context quotes, and make the world a better place by being smarter than that. http://oneofswords.com/2010/08/bobby-kotick-those-infamous-comments/ If you find my research is inaccurate, show your work and let's talk.
  • jmcgrotty - May 1, 2011 9:51 a.m.

OK, I got annoyed at everyone after comment 30, and a few days since it was posted (meaning no one will see it... not intentional), so time for my not-important comments: (For the record, I couldn't care less about the company, good or bad. Why does a 10 year history of a developer affect your current purchase decisions? I understand the idea that some feel they have not proven themselves in the past, but the dev is something I would NEVER pay attention to. And this is important to me, so that I'm not accused of it, I am not a fan of any FPS'es/COD. That crap needs to end, regardless of dev.) He is absolutely right about why people hate Activision. It is because they are the top dog. The Yankees comparison was a perfect analogy. One comment made me have to quote directly: "they don't look at gamers as gamers, or games/ideas as that, they see statistics and money"... So, you are complaining that a company whose intent is to make money and not just be altruistic hippies is bad because they make what is proven to sell? I can see a little frustration when/if they cancelled a unique product, but you're a fool to hold them responsible for shovelware (with the exception being that their shovelware sells). Listen, you are thinking of it as if it a situation of picking one or the other. It isn't like they are saying "Should we make Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2099 vol. 40 or should be make a brand new IP, since we can't do both?" Each title is developed based on it's own unique situation. On a personal bias, ZigzMaroo, I can't believe you used a How I Met My Mother term ("you just got lawyered"). Of course, I know it because I watch the show, but I'd never admi--- Umm... nevermind. Here is my hypocritical comment now: I absolutely love the Kings Quest series. Please don't remake it. I am already frustrated at how far the series has come from it's original roots (Getting rid of typing in commands was a mistake). Leave Kings Quest to the The Silver Lining developers. Crap. I had 2 more points, but forgot them now. Blah.
  • ActivisionsBoss - May 1, 2011 6:20 p.m.

Sadly Actvision is not boss anymore
  • UltimateGamer324 - May 1, 2011 6:49 p.m.

I love Activision, it is actually one of my Favorite video game companies. I am a HUGE fan of the Call of Duty franchise. I like everything that they have made, and hope to see more games in the future. COD fan for LIFE!!! Thank You Activision!!!
  • Mauden - October 24, 2012 7:18 a.m.

*facedesk* No.. Not at all. Most people (Who've played said games, for the record) hate activision because of the way they act towards the people who play their games, take CoD: MW3 for example, we ask for nerfs to certain guns. Nothing. PC Gamers are plagued by hackers? Nothing. Post on the forums? "It's steams fault" AKA: Nothing. This. This is why most detest Activision, it's because we KNOW what they used to be like. They used to be AWESOME, now they're just in it to make as much money as they can with games they don't care about.