Topics

Week of Hate

• CitizenWolfie - April 27, 2011 10:36 a.m.

I don't hate Activision really. I don't necessarily agree with their pricing of the CoD maps or killing off other games (some which were nearly finished) in favour of other franchises, but in general I've enjoyed the games of theirs I've played. I just wish they would release a Tony Hawk game that was more like the old THPS2 and 3 instead of being a slave to what they think the demographic wants. Personally I'd like to be playing a skating game with huge million point combos and ridiculous tricks instead of a simulation or with a naff peripheral. One that's fun and not gritty or whatever hokum they reckon us westerners are into. And would it be too much to ask to have a Spiderman game as good as the Spiderman 2 Movie game? The formula and engine really worked - you keep the CoD engine as it is because it worked, why not Spidey?
  • Markoose16 - April 27, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Maybe Singularity would have been a success if they called it 'Call of Duty: Singularity'. And that's why I don't like Activision, if they just released CoD every 2 years then the market for other games could open up a bit more but right now kids only think about CoD and don't try out other games because they wait for a new CoD every single year. Considering Call of Duty earns Activision around a billion dollars every time a game comes out there's no reason to release one every year other than financial greed. That's why I hate Activision.
  • Loudawgs - April 27, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Good work Chris! I don't hate activision, just can't believe they keep turning out crappy GH games and a seemingly not care for a game like singularity(a shooter that was a great game better than many other shooters realesed that year). But then i never really enjoyed GH even when it first came out.
  • presc1ence - April 27, 2011 11:08 a.m.

I know you said it wasn't a serious interview becuase he's your bud. But come on did you even ask abotu ANY of the things wich have actually pissed us all off? Killing studios,making good studios do rubbish games, then killing them off for poor sales. Pumping every marginally popular franchisee to destruction. TBH just the god damned evil that is bobby koetik! Ok read whole thing now and jeezus, its like chris must have been speaking to a brick wall or the biggest corperate shill you have ever heard. Does ANYONE think its OK to pump out rubbsh badly made (sometimes nearly unplayable , shrek, ) shovleware under the guise of games for casual gamers? The reason gamers dont care about the games is because they are shit ,not because there is some casual game divide. Im actually SOOO sure chris has doen this with his mate to widnd us all up.
  • SolidEye - April 27, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Putting it simply, because their games are crap.
  • Japanaman - April 27, 2011 noon

Why I Hate Activision: Atari Flashback 2.0 only had 2 of their games No DS Activision Anthology Guitar Hero never taught anyone how to play Guitar Guitar Hero Is Canceled No Realisti Pitfall Game in the Days of Uncharted and Tomb Raider No XBLA Remakes of their classic games Charing $3-$5 for their games via GameRoom I could pay $3 and get the entire collection on PS2 to go with my $10 PC collection and for $13, I would have WAY more games than $15 would get me. CoD: Need I say any more? DJ Hero Being Dumped: I just saw DJ Hero selling for $25 at Sears, then DJ Hero 2 for $20 at Toys R Us. I love price drops, but I'd rather see DJ Hero 3. Pricing: If CoD is such s seller, then quit waiting 2 whole years to drop the price down to $20. It's like Nintendo. What happened to Player's Choice? And I thought Sony enforced all publishers to release $20 games withint 9 months of a game's release. Awful Licensed Games (Except Marvel)
  • HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - April 27, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Good try Dan, keep spouting off about everyone having a switch that suddenly goes off and makes people instantly hate the biggest company in any given field. Keep repeating that crap often enough and some fools might even believe it. Fools like yourself for instance.
  • HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - April 27, 2011 1:29 p.m.

This whole "interview" read like Chris was interviewing for a job for Activision Blizzard. Very disappointing PR whitewashing attempt on both sides of the "interview".
  • TheMole - April 27, 2011 1:42 p.m.

"We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games." "I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression." "The best of all margins – the 25 per cent operating margin business – has the potential as we can see with World of Warcraft to be a 50 per cent operating margin business." "really rewards profit and nothing else." (Concerning Kotick's incentive program for Activision employees)" "Long-term focus and commitment to providing superior returns to our shareholders." "And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further." "Why don’t we start with the Vivendi Games businesses -- there were a lot of different projects and businesses that we identified as not likely to achieve the profit margin potential that we look for." "With respect to the franchises that don’t have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of over time becoming $100 million plus franchises, that’s a strategy that has worked very well for us." "And again, our strategy, narrow and deep, focus on properties that will sell to a very broad consumer base on the console -- those are strategies that seem to work well." "There will continue to be opportunities for us to exploit the PC platform in ways that we haven’t yet." "It’s harder to attract development talent to projects that are more speculative in the long run, and so what we found is that if you have a [need] for innovation in existing franchises, that’s a recipe for margin expansion and you still need to have production of new original intellectual property, but you need to do it very, very selectively" I love how mega-corporations can act like this and then blame the consumers for said corporations own shortcomings.
  • Siion - April 27, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Its kind of ironic, us gamers always have to deal with people hating our culture or the things we do with little to no understanding and we hate it. Yet most gamers are extremely quick to hate something with little to no information on it, we believe in rumor and because of that we are what we hate. Personally i don't care about Activision, a good game gets released then i will buy and enjoy it, a bad one gets released and i will skip it, simple. This is a hobby and i game to enjoy, i am not out to make a self serving point to everyone by showing everyone how much i hate something. Great article, keep up the good work.
  • js_1055 - April 27, 2011 3:50 p.m.

I am not a fan of activision due to them making pop music like games, the only time they pushed the boundary was CoD4. They found the formula worked and they will now always keep to it.
  • Manguy17 - April 27, 2011 4:05 p.m.

Aww, I was really hoping you were going to ask some real questions, lets be honest, everyone knows why people hate activison. Just need to read a few of the larger comments here to get a few ideas that Dan didnt cover.
  • Decabo - April 27, 2011 5:27 p.m.

Nice of the interviewer to completely pussy out. You didn't even bring up the fact that they forced gender changes in games because they didn't think games with female protagonists would sell. They also canceled True Crime: Hong Kong.
  • d0x - April 27, 2011 5:58 p.m.

I hate them for buying good studios then forcing them to make stupid games then killing said studio. I also hate the attitude of their ceo, their policies on DLC as well as the insane pricing (and yes I vote with my wallet). I really dont like seeing franchises milked to death and we all thought EA was bad but Activision is easily 100x worse in this regard. I also hate the whole Infinity Ward saga. Activision doesnt give a damn about gamers and it shows therefore I stopped sending them my money.
  • avantguardian - April 27, 2011 6:31 p.m.

this is bad you guys... it feels...dirty...political. i'm sorry, just an honest reaction. i love me some GR, but this...
  • GwaR - April 27, 2011 7:32 p.m.

@ Chris Antista I appreciate what you tried to do here. I've got to agree with a lot of the other comments, though, and say that your article missed the mark. I get it that Dan's your buddy and you don't want to burn him at the stake, or don't feel it's warranted, but YOU DID PUSSY-FOOT AROUND THE CORE ISSUES. Go back and re-read your own article with a critical eye. You failed to mention almost all of the reasons gamers actually hate on Activision. It sure as hell isn't because they're the 'biggest kid on the block-BS'. That's a corporate scape-goat that Activision themselves created to try and get some positive PR spin just a few weeks ago. Don't feed us their crap, hit Dan with some actual hard questions and call him to the carpet with some specific scenarios in Activision's recent past. They've mis-handled plenty of things, by admission from multiple developers recently. So let's ask them to de-bunk those 'myths'. Is Activision really that bad? Nope, probably not. They're a business and have to do what they feel is right for their bottom line. I would guess their biggest sin is probably just doing a terrible job on the PR side and not locking Bobby Kotick's mouth behind sound-proof glass, as soon as he started saying things that pissed off gamers. You as a journalist have to do a bit more, though. I normally come to GR because, 1) you guys are funny and 2) because you normally cut right through this kind of BS to get to the heart of the issue. Please take this as constructive criticism: I really feel you could've done a lot better on this one.
  • rxb - April 27, 2011 7:33 p.m.

Funny read, Its gotta be a hard job defending Activision.
  • philipshaw - April 27, 2011 9:11 p.m.

I respect the hell out of Dan but I think the reason people hate activision is because they don't listen to fans in the same way a huge company like Valve do and then implement changes according to feedback No one wanted a Tony Hawk game that had a plastic board, I'm a huge THPS fan and I would be happy to see a HD remake of THPS3 on XBL or PSN. That would go a long way to making gamers happy
  • fatguy19 - April 27, 2011 10:56 p.m.

This article is very hypocritical. You spend the entire article bitching and moaning about all the horrible yhings people have said about Activision and how its all myths, and yet Gamesradar has posted many articles accusing activision of this very thing. In fact I think it is safe to say that most of the people you have berated have got all their information from this very website. This makes the author a fucking hypocrit
  • Montag - April 28, 2011 1:53 a.m.

I grew up with Activision so they have good vibes for me. Have to say that bringing back I76.......... Genius idea and day 1 for me if it ever happened! Which other games have a hip 70s funky poetry button? Like a lot.