Topics

Week of Hate

We Recommend

• Decabo - April 27, 2011 5:27 p.m.

Nice of the interviewer to completely pussy out. You didn't even bring up the fact that they forced gender changes in games because they didn't think games with female protagonists would sell. They also canceled True Crime: Hong Kong.
  • Manguy17 - April 27, 2011 4:05 p.m.

Aww, I was really hoping you were going to ask some real questions, lets be honest, everyone knows why people hate activison. Just need to read a few of the larger comments here to get a few ideas that Dan didnt cover.
  • js_1055 - April 27, 2011 3:50 p.m.

I am not a fan of activision due to them making pop music like games, the only time they pushed the boundary was CoD4. They found the formula worked and they will now always keep to it.
  • Siion - April 27, 2011 2:48 p.m.

Its kind of ironic, us gamers always have to deal with people hating our culture or the things we do with little to no understanding and we hate it. Yet most gamers are extremely quick to hate something with little to no information on it, we believe in rumor and because of that we are what we hate. Personally i don't care about Activision, a good game gets released then i will buy and enjoy it, a bad one gets released and i will skip it, simple. This is a hobby and i game to enjoy, i am not out to make a self serving point to everyone by showing everyone how much i hate something. Great article, keep up the good work.
  • TheMole - April 27, 2011 1:42 p.m.

"We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games." "I think we definitely have been able to instill the culture, the skepticism and pessimism and fear that you should have in an economy like we are in today. And so, while generally people talk about the recession, we are pretty good at keeping people focused on the deep depression." "The best of all margins – the 25 per cent operating margin business – has the potential as we can see with World of Warcraft to be a 50 per cent operating margin business." "really rewards profit and nothing else." (Concerning Kotick's incentive program for Activision employees)" "Long-term focus and commitment to providing superior returns to our shareholders." "And Tony, you know if it was left to me, I would raise the prices even further." "Why don’t we start with the Vivendi Games businesses -- there were a lot of different projects and businesses that we identified as not likely to achieve the profit margin potential that we look for." "With respect to the franchises that don’t have the potential to be exploited every year across every platform with clear sequel potential that can meet our objectives of over time becoming $100 million plus franchises, that’s a strategy that has worked very well for us." "And again, our strategy, narrow and deep, focus on properties that will sell to a very broad consumer base on the console -- those are strategies that seem to work well." "There will continue to be opportunities for us to exploit the PC platform in ways that we haven’t yet." "It’s harder to attract development talent to projects that are more speculative in the long run, and so what we found is that if you have a [need] for innovation in existing franchises, that’s a recipe for margin expansion and you still need to have production of new original intellectual property, but you need to do it very, very selectively" I love how mega-corporations can act like this and then blame the consumers for said corporations own shortcomings.
  • HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - April 27, 2011 1:29 p.m.

This whole "interview" read like Chris was interviewing for a job for Activision Blizzard. Very disappointing PR whitewashing attempt on both sides of the "interview".
  • HereComesTheHypeTrainCHOOCHOO - April 27, 2011 1:26 p.m.

Good try Dan, keep spouting off about everyone having a switch that suddenly goes off and makes people instantly hate the biggest company in any given field. Keep repeating that crap often enough and some fools might even believe it. Fools like yourself for instance.
  • Japanaman - April 27, 2011 noon

Why I Hate Activision: Atari Flashback 2.0 only had 2 of their games No DS Activision Anthology Guitar Hero never taught anyone how to play Guitar Guitar Hero Is Canceled No Realisti Pitfall Game in the Days of Uncharted and Tomb Raider No XBLA Remakes of their classic games Charing $3-$5 for their games via GameRoom I could pay $3 and get the entire collection on PS2 to go with my $10 PC collection and for $13, I would have WAY more games than $15 would get me. CoD: Need I say any more? DJ Hero Being Dumped: I just saw DJ Hero selling for $25 at Sears, then DJ Hero 2 for $20 at Toys R Us. I love price drops, but I'd rather see DJ Hero 3. Pricing: If CoD is such s seller, then quit waiting 2 whole years to drop the price down to $20. It's like Nintendo. What happened to Player's Choice? And I thought Sony enforced all publishers to release $20 games withint 9 months of a game's release. Awful Licensed Games (Except Marvel)
  • SolidEye - April 27, 2011 11:52 a.m.

Putting it simply, because their games are crap.
  • presc1ence - April 27, 2011 11:08 a.m.

I know you said it wasn't a serious interview becuase he's your bud. But come on did you even ask abotu ANY of the things wich have actually pissed us all off? Killing studios,making good studios do rubbish games, then killing them off for poor sales. Pumping every marginally popular franchisee to destruction. TBH just the god damned evil that is bobby koetik! Ok read whole thing now and jeezus, its like chris must have been speaking to a brick wall or the biggest corperate shill you have ever heard. Does ANYONE think its OK to pump out rubbsh badly made (sometimes nearly unplayable , shrek, ) shovleware under the guise of games for casual gamers? The reason gamers dont care about the games is because they are shit ,not because there is some casual game divide. Im actually SOOO sure chris has doen this with his mate to widnd us all up.
  • Loudawgs - April 27, 2011 11:02 a.m.

Good work Chris! I don't hate activision, just can't believe they keep turning out crappy GH games and a seemingly not care for a game like singularity(a shooter that was a great game better than many other shooters realesed that year). But then i never really enjoyed GH even when it first came out.
  • Markoose16 - April 27, 2011 10:51 a.m.

Maybe Singularity would have been a success if they called it 'Call of Duty: Singularity'. And that's why I don't like Activision, if they just released CoD every 2 years then the market for other games could open up a bit more but right now kids only think about CoD and don't try out other games because they wait for a new CoD every single year. Considering Call of Duty earns Activision around a billion dollars every time a game comes out there's no reason to release one every year other than financial greed. That's why I hate Activision.
  • CitizenWolfie - April 27, 2011 10:36 a.m.

I don't hate Activision really. I don't necessarily agree with their pricing of the CoD maps or killing off other games (some which were nearly finished) in favour of other franchises, but in general I've enjoyed the games of theirs I've played. I just wish they would release a Tony Hawk game that was more like the old THPS2 and 3 instead of being a slave to what they think the demographic wants. Personally I'd like to be playing a skating game with huge million point combos and ridiculous tricks instead of a simulation or with a naff peripheral. One that's fun and not gritty or whatever hokum they reckon us westerners are into. And would it be too much to ask to have a Spiderman game as good as the Spiderman 2 Movie game? The formula and engine really worked - you keep the CoD engine as it is because it worked, why not Spidey?
  • lilbuddha - April 27, 2011 10:29 a.m.

This article completely missed all the real points gamers have against Activision...
  • FunnyNameHere - April 27, 2011 9:49 a.m.

Making the world one Dan at a time.
  • Ksthebest - April 27, 2011 6:36 a.m.

Activision needs a Year of Hate. My biggest criticism is the quantity over quality policy. But Dan's OK.
  • FVDub - April 27, 2011 6:11 a.m.

I hate Activision because of what they did with Infinity Ward and Double Fine. If Tim Schafer tells me Bobby Kotick is a prick, then I believe him.
  • ZigzMagoo - April 27, 2011 5:45 a.m.

Dan wants us to think logically so here are some logical points: 1-He gets payed large amounts of money to represent Activision, that includes not being allowed to release any negative image about the company. You might notice, there was little to no negativity about an obviously flawed company. 2-It isn't because Activision is huge that we hate Activision, (I love EA as a company, due to games like Battlefield, Mirrors Edge and Madden) it's because they exploit gamers through useless sequels Proof: Call of Duty. The only innovative one was Call of Duty 4. They also shut down perfectly acceptable studios because they weren't producing multi-billion dollar industries. 3-Treating us like idiots and claiming that we don't think clearly is just one more example of why we hate Activision You just got lawyered. Point being, Dan stop sucking Bobby Kotick's dick and then we will give a shit about what you say.
  • laurenhiya21 - April 27, 2011 5:24 a.m.

well, I don't hate them but... I don't like almost all of their games (guitar hero isn't too bad though) It annoys me a little bit on how popular they are though... (when smaller companies probably deserve it more...)
  • shadowreaper72 - April 27, 2011 5:15 a.m.

This article is so full of fucking fail and bullshit! We dont hate you Activision for being a successful company. When EA was considered "evil corporation" I didnt hate them for being the best. The problem with you Activision is that you dont let any of your developers have creative freedom, you fire off everyone,cancel their games if they dont sell copies by the shitloads like Call of Fucking Duty, or force them to slave away on Call of Fucking Duty instead of letting them do their own thing, milk out a COFD game every single fucking year that has no changes to the gameplay, just the same motherfucking game with a different war. And dont fucking get me started on your overprice MPs. Basically it all amounts to this. I hope Activision dies a slow painful death. Oh one more thing, you milked Guitar Hero to death and look what happened to the once popular franchise. COFD will only get you so far Activision. Only so fucking far.