We Recommend

• Spartacus314 - March 9, 2012 10:56 a.m.

Interesting article, and well written which is always pleasant, however im going to disagree and one of your main points. Certainly the theme has been overdone, and you cannot deny the similarities to what you presented, however the critique over the visual cues which are supposed to trigger a reaction i feel was a judgement which could be reserved for every medium of entertainment. I look at journey and there are visual cues which are supposed to make gawk in wonder at the mystery. Your favorites movies have all done the same thing too, like how you mentioned Avatar, dunno if you disliked that movie, but i did sense some disdain for it. Overall accusation over visual styles affecting the consumers reaction to it is not an accusation at all, its just a noticeable quality if you look hard enough; hell look hard enough at anything and the magic always disappears. just my two cents.
  • Aratar - March 9, 2012 11:21 a.m.

He was commenting about the lazy and manipulative use of those visual cues, along with the use of character design as a substitute for complex characterisation. I found the whole thing completely cynical and contrived, just like Avatar really.
  • Spartacus314 - March 9, 2012 12:03 p.m.

hmmm well, I suppose i can see how its obviously contrived, and yes the visual cues were manipulative, but like i said that approach is quite common. And i actually liked Avatar, a solid message, a fun movie, cliche certainly. I always call Avatar Fern Gully on steroids, regardless of its transparent message, i enjoyed it and thought it was brilliantly done. anyways, i see his point i just disagree that the visual cues are a bad thing, i didn't find them lazy, its just a seven minute demo, had to make some sort of impact in constrained time while showcasing tech.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - March 9, 2012 10:55 a.m.

I quite liked the Kara demo, but I totally understand your point. In the end, I just want game storytelling to be better, period, even if it at times it ends up copying TV or film. 99% of the stories in games are utter garbage, and even some of the better ones are laughably convoluted or poorly told.
  • Moondoggie1157 - March 9, 2012 10:36 a.m.

I was worried that I was the only one who didn't think "Kara" was as groundbreaking as Forbes (I think it was a Forbes article that I first heard about it) made it seem. I couldn't help but think of "All is full of love" after watching the demo. Technically it really is a great feat for a console, especially being over a year old, BUT I just could not shake the feeling that it is more of a step backwards for video games as an art medium. That may sound snobbish, but deal with it. It makes the medium feel uninspired, unoriginal, and just kind of tacky. The tragedy of a self aware android is a truly over played theme, and it bothers me that THIS is what most people will consider the "high art" or the apex of storytelling in gaming. You definitely hit the nail on the head, Mr. Houghton.
  • McSpermie - March 9, 2012 10:35 a.m.

Interesting article, Quantic Dream should just make movies if that's all they want to do. There are many ways to tell a good story in a game, and this isn't one of them.
  • FauxGateau - March 9, 2012 10:29 a.m.

You bring up a lot of good points. I for one am happy that we can describe our opinions in a relatively tame manner. Hell, I didn't even know about that X-Files episode (it's in my instant queue you see). And the Bjork thing? I don't know what a Bjork is but I might check out whatever it is now. Storytelling always wins out for me personally. I'm not one really impressed by graphic more the meaning behind them. Now if you excuse me I have to punch myself in the face for that incredibly cheesy statement.