• derringer83 - May 10, 2009 4:40 a.m.

for fucks sake!! ahahahhaaa... that about sums it up, doesn't it? Cuz that's what we've all been thinking everytime we see more prereleased Bioshock bullshit. I was severely intrigued by the first one... but I have a feeling the second one is gonna be a one night stand.
  • rybell - May 10, 2009 4:07 a.m.

it's almost impossible for the second to live up to everything the first one did so well. that's why people shouldn't concentrate as much on comparring it to the first one and just accept it for the things it does right. unfortunately it looks as if it might take the same path as resi 5 and become more of an action based game. but as long as it doesn't get made on the wii, it can't be too bad.
  • FL00d - May 10, 2009 3:18 a.m.

@rxb that's exactly what i was thinking too!
  • newgames128 - May 9, 2009 7:38 p.m.

Actually it might be a good thing in a way that Levine isn't involved. The evil German/Nazi theme is so cliche by now it just sticks out like a sore thumb. As original as Bioshock was, it could've had a much more original backstory.
  • Jorw - May 9, 2009 7:22 p.m.

I very strongly agree.
  • BobbyDeNiro - May 9, 2009 4:30 p.m.

I've just finished Bioshock and although it held my attention I don't agree that it was an out and out classic. The Edge review was spot on in my opinion-a shooterdressed up in fancy clothes.
  • thochaos - May 9, 2009 4:56 a.m.

That's it. Have a good whinge and get it out of your system.
  • JohnnyMaverik - May 9, 2009 4:02 a.m.

Having not yet finnished Bioshock I find it hard to comment, I'm currently only about 1/4 of the way throu the game (by my reconing) but I'm enjoying it immensly. Having said that, i think if Bioshock 2 can be a different game experiance in terms of the basics, which playing as a Big Daddy will make it, although i also agree giving u plasmid abilities is a bit of a cop-out and will die down the "wow im a big daddy" feeling, reveal things that werent revealed in the first game, i meen we already know we're guna learn alot more about Little Sisters, and more interestingly the mysterious Metal Daddies, see how rapture has changed, once again i agree with your complaints in referance to the changes to the splicers, and if it can have a great story to it, while it wont be a great game like its predessesor was, it can at the very least ne a very good one. There again how I'll feel about it by the time I finish Bioshock is a different matter.
  • Yourmom - May 9, 2009 1:20 a.m.

idk wuts dah big deal. bio2 lewks like a greate game n im willing to buy it eve though i didnt relly lik dah 1st 1
  • piccolodevilking - May 8, 2009 11:57 p.m.

Well that's the problem with the interactive(game) artform, it's more about small evolutionary steps and not so much about the avant-guardesk purposeful breaking of expectations. the main cause for that is "people have to eat", art needs people who don't have to worry about money or at least tend to put the product over the earnings.
  • Fuhjem - May 8, 2009 11:56 p.m.

You see, this is why when I become a game developer I'm never going to make a sequel. My shit will be unique enough for one game.
  • Demonflare - May 8, 2009 10:24 p.m.

Whoa, good article. Come to think of it, all the negative info. about B2 I never thought of that. Since I luved Bioshock, I thought the 2nd one would be good since this story happened before the 1st Bioshock story took place. Still, I'm getting it :)
  • arcadeparties - May 8, 2009 9:55 p.m.

I hate to be a contrarian, but I think I'm the only person alive who didn't like Bioshock. I mean, I never got a sense of claustrophobia while I played it. I was kind of scared and freaked out sometimes sure, but that does not a good game make. Shooting was frustrating and not satisfying, plasmids weren't really all that special, the story wasn't nearly as good as it was hyped up to be. In all I thought it a very mediocre game...
  • FrozenImplosion - May 8, 2009 7:31 p.m.

I have no doubt that this is going to be almost as good as the original. I loved the original, and this looks like it could be nearly as good.
  • NipplesTheSuperHippo - May 8, 2009 6:30 p.m.

double post my bad this kid's a noob fag what's your problem d-bag. . . yay yay I know But I just read on giant bomb that multiplayer has been announced, that might make or break Bioshock 2. Oh well, still too early to tell ;)
  • TheHonorableReverendHobo - May 8, 2009 6:09 p.m.

I agree on most, if not all, of your points. The thing that makes me the most angry is the incredibly stupid "big sister". Big Daddies were BIG for a reason, they were faceless killing machines that made you tremble at the prospect of killing one. And the fact that they were docile until you attacked them, thus releasing an unstoppable force, made you think twice. like charging a tank that doesn't see you with a pop-gun. Making a female Big "Daddy" that's capable of jumping around like a long jumper on crack soils the whole feeling. Fighting a small, agile, yet strong enemy isn't frightening, it's irritating. just look at Wesker from RE5.
  • NipplesTheSuperHippo - May 8, 2009 6:05 p.m.

I don't know if I think Bioshock 2 is a terrible idea, just one that will truly have to prove itself to the public. I do think, however, that it is too early on in development, or at least what has been shown of the game, to pass any judgment on it. You said: "It will be something we’ve already seen before with a few more cracks and leaks. The magic of Rapture came from its newness. It was the sheer originality of its design that made it such an immersive world to explore." Exactly, the newness, but the newness of what was seen. Would not the unknown parts of a mysterious city be new? There are new environments and or parts of the city that were unexplored, new weapons, probably new plasmids, new gamplay, new main enemy, and even the cookie cutter splicers have evolved into something different and new. Plus, even though it is still technically the same character, being the Big daddy is almost like being a new character in itself. Even though if you are reading this article you probably already know, but there will even be new little sister choices, little as they may be. But again, there might be more in the little sister choices to come, it is just too bloody early to tell anything beyond that it is still rapture, just the unknown parts. So I really don't think there is anything to worry about. If Bioshock 2 is even a sliver of what Bioshock was, I will definitely buy it, and from what I have seen, it looks to be that and more.
  • oryandymackie - May 8, 2009 5:34 p.m.

Yeah, being a Big Daddy will retract from the original, the protagonist jack timidly opening the doors to the lighthouse, and skulking quietly down to the bathysphere. if you're a Big Daddy with a huge drill strapped to your arm you're pretty much fearless. And fear played a huge part in the game.
  • Samael - May 8, 2009 5:29 p.m.

I totally disagree. I like how Bioshock 2 looks and I am dripping with anticipation. Enjoy being in the minority.
  • Grenade - May 8, 2009 5:04 p.m.

This article speaks the truth. BioShock will likely be raped for all its worth.