• shawksta - March 31, 2014 11:07 a.m.

Good ol David being enthusiastic just like me :3 Though its hard to say, a real step forward needs to be both in design and approach. Honestly i only think its a step forward if only because of what happened in the end of Arkham City. Though thats exactly what you just said and frankly im excited. To be fair, lets not ignore the Wii U as praise has stated that 3D World was the true step in next gen for the integrity of 2013. However i wont see any massive steps till we see PS4 and Xbone pull through with something spectacular(maybe Batman, who knows)and Wii U still needs to get a game that uses the Gamepad to its fullest(Zelda or whatever Miyamoto's working on, hopefully).
  • Vonter - March 31, 2014 12:02 p.m.

I still think the gamepad could add to the multiplayer aspect. I mean if Nintendo could expand the concept of making the gamepad player being like a boss/game master it could add a new type of genre. Even online games usually fare about giving all players equal chances in multiplayer. How about a beat em up or Smash TV game in which one player delivers the goons and the others look to survive or reach a destination. In the higher performance machines I suppose the major breakthrough will be more connected worlds like the Dark Souls invasion system, just instead being interconnected game worlds in which players could leave items, traps, messages or even sidequests on other players' games. Or from a technical perspective a game in which the game world has dynamic weather changes, schedules or dynamic changing environments could be quite innovative. Maybe going into a GTA game and discover a new area that was previously on construction now has an amusement park or something like that.
  • shawksta - March 31, 2014 1:54 p.m.

It definitely does have Multiplayer worth, Nintendoland, Rayman origins and other games used it well. That boss idea you mentioned sounds great, like a whole Dungeons and Dragons nostalgia trip if they could. As Jackonomics crudely said, it WAS gonna be in the Multiplayer for Aliens Colonial Marines but cancelled.
  • Vonter - March 31, 2014 3:45 p.m.

Also even if I don't like the COD series, being able to play multiplayer with one person on the gamepad and the other on the TV is very cool. Yeah like imagine Chronicles of Mystara in where the master could summon different enemies and also being able to control the boss could be pretty hardcore (especially the dragon). Dang it, it could have been cool seeing a 4 player version of the Zombi U multiplayer.
  • shawksta - March 31, 2014 4:50 p.m.

Who knows, maybe we'll eventually see the rising of this game concept.
  • Vonter - March 31, 2014 5:19 p.m.

Can't tell, publishers have developers on a leash and they hate innovation and taking risks. They seem to cater towards online multiplayer only to gain cash back.
  • Vonter - March 31, 2014 5:20 p.m.

And since Wii U online is free, I bet that's a reason they don't make an effort to implement it on the system. I bet Watch Dogs Wii U version will not have the multiplayer component because of that.
  • shawksta - March 31, 2014 6:40 p.m.

Frankly there's word that the reason EA are being assholes to Nintendo is because they wont let them shove origin on the Wii U.
  • Vonter - March 31, 2014 7:29 p.m.

Yeah, I know. Still I suppose that's also why other developers have left the system, if the wealthiest 3rd party isn't making games or it, why should. Anyway its also Nintendo's way of thinking, hoping devs looks for them, instead of going to them. Also their stand on DLC and free online might felt weak to them. Because I mean, they don't even support the 3DS, which is doing great.
  • Vonter - March 31, 2014 11 a.m.

I don't think its wise putting a game that hasn't shown any gameplay. Still I'm giving Rocksteady the benefit of doubt since they're a very talented developer. However if it can't be pinpoint a reason why this has made the jump, then it hasn't. I remember this gen that Gears of War paint what this generation was gonna be about (multiple elements on display, dynamic animation with the environment, polished shooting mechanics, deeper cinematic language), even if later games do it better I still argue that was a prime example to things to come.
  • james-myhre - March 31, 2014 10:41 a.m.

i have a conclusion that if fallout 4 doesn't come out next to arkham knight this game is going to be game of the year all around the board of raters and if they do come out at the same time there's going to be what happened between arkham city and skyrim.
  • garnsr - March 31, 2014 10:27 a.m.

Is depeche really a special mode? I'm playing Infamous: Second Son, and I was wondering when we'd get games that feel different from previous generations, not just looking prettier. I don't even know what it was last gen that felt really different from PS2 games. The examples given here for Batman don't really sound like things that would make me feel like it's so different from last gen, but I guess it's something you have to play to make the jump.