Topics

next-gen

• JarkayColt - February 7, 2013 9:32 a.m.

Awesome article Justin. Been a while since I've read a good in depth multi-page piece on this site. Unfortunately I don't have robot-eyes like some people, so I've never been able to tell the difference much. WipEout HD runs at 60 right? I know that looks amazing, anyway, and that's all I need. I agree that 'twitch' gameplay would benefit the most, so fighters, racers and shooters I guess? I think you want to know you're getting the smoothest feedback possible. Also, showing my ignorance a bit here, but does this have any bearing over how framerate tends to dip in some games? I think I would rather have games that run smoothly with no dips, even if they have to cut back somewhere else. I've played quite a few games with odd choppy moments and it really irks me. And I think the only (or rather, first) time I ever noticed framerate having an effect was in Pokémon. The 3rd Gen games are among my faves because they run at a slick 60fps. Then, when the series headed to DS (in 3D no less) it went back to 30, and the slugginess was especially apparent.
  • GR_JustinTowell - February 7, 2013 10:36 a.m.

Considering you say you don't have the old robot eyes, you're actually spot-on! And yes, dips are the worst. You can get used to any frame rate if you play it enough (not that you should have to), but anything that fluctuates is really annoying and always noticeable. Devs should really look at the busiest a scene can get and optimise to that.
  • ObliqueZombie - February 7, 2013 9:02 a.m.

After playing on my PC and just recently getting back into my Xbox, it's... Incredibly weird to not be running at 60fps. I sorely wish to see next gen consoles start running at 60fps standard. Jeez, could you imagine Word of Warcraft, or Planetside 2, or Thw Witcher running at 30fps? *shudder* Great article Justin, but there's a typo in the second-to-last paragraph continuing the quote from Alex with the word environmental. Unless, of course, that is how he said it? ;)
  • winner2 - February 7, 2013 2:28 p.m.

I think if you put the witcher (2 at least) in at 30 fps either the disc itself would jump out and beat you or the coding would take over your comp and try to get revenge.
  • StrayGator - February 7, 2013 7:08 a.m.

Eye candy is easier to discern than fluidity, and most customers value it more. Therefore, fluidity as a top priority will remain the exception rather than the rule until visual fidelity will plateau
  • GR_JustinTowell - February 7, 2013 8:28 a.m.

Ah, but what if fluidity IS the eye-candy? It's certainly what makes Mario Kart 7 look so great. Technically its graphics aren't that amazing. But 60fps makes it gorgeous nonetheless!
  • Imgema - February 7, 2013 11:22 a.m.

Indeed!