• codystovall - November 9, 2012 6:23 p.m.

Dark souls was all the more harder with its stunted controls.
  • BladedFalcon - November 10, 2012 1:36 a.m.

Aside from the sometimes wonky auto lock-on, I never really had any problems with the controls. They responded and reacted accordingly to your own movements, unless of course, you made the mistake of over encumbering yourself, that is...
  • winner2 - November 10, 2012 11:59 a.m.

Completely agreed. I love the controls for Dark and Demons. They're, to me, how fighting in a game like that should be. You'd better move and react perfectly or you're going to get hurt. Badly. And in that game, you can die just as easily with heavy armor as you can with light armor. Being able to roll and move at top speed is practically a necessity. Prime example: accidentally discovering that miralda the executioner lady in the first area of demons as a complete noob with no good equipment. Scared the hell out of me walking into the dark and hearing "WOOSH". Rolled the %*#@ out the doorway in a heartbeat.
  • SDHoneymonster - November 10, 2012 1:24 p.m.

Dark Souls has occasional input lag too, which is annoying, but it happens so rarely that it's barely worth mentioning when the controls tend to be so spot on.
  • Sinosaur - November 9, 2012 5:56 p.m.

I think that for a lot of people, this experience has been somewhat replaced by multiplayer content. Until you get into the realm of outright cheating, you can never be absolutely certain that you'll achieve victory, whether it be against a team of players or swarms of AI enemies with a small squad of allies. That amazing victory where you take out your enemy with a mere sliver of health left, or finish a brutal wave as the last one standing, those are the sorts of memories you hear most people talking about the most now. They also have the advantage of being brief around 10-40 minutes so that even if you don't come out victorious, you usually don't feel like you've wasted your time.
  • jivecom - November 9, 2012 5:49 p.m.

This might not seem like it really applies to this, but a lot of what you said is kind of rolled up in my love of proper racing sims. Bear with me, because it's all there: 1. Failure is in nearly all cases because of your poor judgement 2. Success requires the player to learn and apply a specific skill set, a skill set which in most cases is never given by the game, and sometimes isn't even mentioned. You basically have to teach yourself (though in fairness, once you've got it down in a good sim, you've more or less got the hang of it in the rest of the good sims) 3. When you finally do succeed, you feel like you've accomplished something. "Yes! I finally mastered this specific track with this car and I didn't even have nanny aids on" And finally, the most important one 4. All of the nanny aids with the exception of the recent influx of "driving line" diagrams are cribbed directly from nanny aids that real cars really sometimes have, therefore providing you with a legitimate context for them, should you choose to use them Most of this applies as well to well-made arcade racers, i.e. sega rally. In some more recent arcade racers, losing is difficult, but sometimes even then, there's a line between simply succeeding and being truly good at it (I'm sure justin knows exactly what I'm talking about here)
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - November 9, 2012 6:03 p.m.

Yeah! These kind of experiences aren't exclusive to one genre of game, which is one of the awesome things about games in general :D
  • ObliqueZombie - November 9, 2012 5:06 p.m.

Great article, Ryan! I, too, have been more fond of the "hard games." Not intentionally, mind, but I simply remember and cherish those moments when I've overcome a seemingly impossible obstacle--like just recently, with Tales of Vesperia's Gattuso boss. That was a BITCH to beat, but when I finally did, it felt so damn good. Like you said, I still enjoy my "streamlined" games quite a lot. I'm a huge fan of Halo, and Black Ops II is around the corner and you bet your ass I'll be there at midnight with my friends.
  • GR_RyanTaljonick - November 9, 2012 5:08 p.m.

Definitely! It's not really a "this type of game" vs. "another type of game" thing, right? It's just that certain ones are inherently more memorable because they force you to rely on your skills--and, more importantly, they let you fail when you mess up.
  • JMarsella09 - November 9, 2012 4:58 p.m.

Impossible Jrpgs are my montra, including the Souls games. I just love them so much.