Topics

spin-off wEiRd

• SuperNewman - January 4, 2013 1:04 p.m.

What, no Sonic Spinball? Would've thought that would get a mention, if not for its crazy steep difficulty curve alone.
  • GR_LucasSullivan - January 4, 2013 1:21 p.m.

It did get a mention T.T
  • BladedFalcon - January 4, 2013 11:40 a.m.

Yeah... had forgotten about GG2: Overture, pretty mediocre game. Music was fantastic though, and has what I'd consider the definitive version of Sol Badguy's theme. Also, people seem to have on Dirge of Cerberus a lot... And I the only one that found it actually fun? Sure, wasn't great, but it was far from terrible...
  • Clovin64 - January 5, 2013 3:34 a.m.

The gameplay in DoC was kinda so-and-so, but customising your weapons had its charm. I played it at the height of my FFVII fanboy-ism, so I just loved the fan service.
  • BladedFalcon - January 5, 2013 10:16 a.m.

The funny thing is that i was never a FFVII to begin with. XD
  • Sinosaur - January 4, 2013 11:15 a.m.

Chocobo Racing was actually a weird spin-off of a weird spin-off. It spun off the Chocobo's Dungeon series of mystery dungeon games. It also had an adorable pop up book storybook for it's story mode. ...I played it a ton when I was a kid.
  • AuthorityFigure - October 19, 2012 1:41 a.m.

They don't get much more odd than "Demon's Crest" (a game based off of a mini-boss in another series), or "Yoshi's Safari" (a game Super Scope game borne from a platform game).
  • Imgema - October 19, 2012 1:29 a.m.

Other M. They took Metroid and made it an anime melodrama action game for casual gamers. That was a weird spin off.
  • shawksta - October 19, 2012 12:56 p.m.

You can say whatever the hell you want about Other M, but why would you even use the word "Casual" the word lost it's meaning with people babbling it for everything they don't like.
  • Imgema - October 19, 2012 1:58 p.m.

for 2 reasons: 1. I played it myself through the end and i witnessed it. 2. Sakamoto said it himself in an interview that he wanted the game to be more accessible to the non-gamer crowd.
  • shawksta - October 19, 2012 5:34 p.m.

Being "more accessible" doesn't mean it's specifically for them, it means non-gamers can get into it aswell as normal gamers, who shouldn't have a problem with it. I don't understand why people have to understand it like that. "I witnessed it" doesn't really show your point, for all it's flaws people wanna blab about, the game wasn't easy and was pretty difficult, if that's what your implying.
  • Imgema - October 19, 2012 10:56 p.m.

I'm implying that compared to any other game in the series there was a ton of hand holding and it was too streamlined for a series that is known for its focus on exploration, backtracking, figuring where to go next by yourself and getting lost in the process. In OtherM you didn't even have to worry about finding the powerups in order to open new areas because they were handed to you as you followed the straight path. Metroid was never an accessible game and that's what i liked about it. I loved the fact that you had to use your brains a bit to solve it. There are plenty of accessible, simple action games for "normal gamers" Sakamoto shouldn't have to ruin the main aspects of the series so that they can have another one....
  • drexegar - October 18, 2012 11:26 p.m.

Typing of the Dead was also release for the nintendo DS in japan. But advertised it as an english game even though it was the same thing. What a waste though. It look like a really good saturn engine of house of the dead 2.
  • GR_JustinTowell - October 19, 2012 1:36 a.m.

Wow - I had no idea that existed! you're right, looks like a Saturn version. Really good though, even for DS. Hmmm... can I go to eBay during work time...
  • awesomesauce - October 18, 2012 9:59 p.m.

Mario and DK's March of the minis i thought was odd.
  • Fuzunga - October 18, 2012 9:14 p.m.

There was nothing weird about Halo Wars at all. Halo started off as an RTS.
  • Bloodstorm - October 18, 2012 10:05 p.m.

This
  • shawksta - October 18, 2012 8:04 p.m.

Anything Mario related shouldnt even be here save for DDR, Mario can do anything and make it work somehow XD