• zombi3grim - July 22, 2012 11:36 a.m.

Some of these I knew. Alot I didnt. I usually dont like Henry Gilbert articles due to his blatant hatred of FFVII because of its mainstream status, but I'll make an exception here. Maybe one day he'll grow up.
  • Sinsational - July 22, 2012 11:38 p.m.

Jesus, you're STILL going on about that? Sounds like you're the one that needs to grow up...
  • zombi3grim - July 23, 2012 12:40 p.m.

Im sorry, do I know you?
  • caseobeerz - July 22, 2012 3:37 p.m.

you forgot mario is the referee in mike tyson's punch out for nes
  • cokelogic - July 22, 2012 11:34 p.m.

Miyamoto wanted Mario to ride a dinosaur in the original Super Mario Bros. but it wasn't possible with the systems limitations. The idea was brought back in Super Mario World. (source: Official Super Mario World Game Guide) Miyamoto also wanted sections of the original Super Mario Bros. to be a side scrolling shooter. The idea was later used in Super Mario Land for Gameboy.
  • jamie5lpm - July 23, 2012 4:57 a.m.

This may not be 100% related to Mario but its still pretty funny. The reason the Popeye game was cancelled was due to the copy who owned the rights didn't believe that putting Popeye into arcades was the correct idea for them (as nintendo has been making crappy one of handheld versions of it). However the funny story is that, the same company owned the rights to the Flash Gordon movies. One day a young movie maker came up to them with a story and basic script to make a Flash Gordon remake, the company then said no as they didn't feel it was the way forward for their license. That movie maker made the film anyway and then renamed it as Star Wars. I'd really like to believe they changed the decision makers in the company after kinda letting Star Wars and Mario slip by. Then again had they said yes just image how different things could be.
  • winner2 - July 23, 2012 5:27 a.m.

i wonder how many times "Mario" appears in this article
  • jhf2187 - July 23, 2012 5:52 a.m.

MARIO PUNCHES YOSHI IN SUPER MARIO WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Check it, when you make Yoshi eat something, it's not out of Yoshi's free will. Seriously, all those goombas and things look nasty. If you look closely, Mario is making Yoshi stick out his tongue by hitting him in the back of the head!!!
  • YamiLink03 - July 23, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Also, a lot of people don't realize that the Zelda whistle ins Mario 3 was also used as the first 5 notes to the Ocarina of Time start menu theme. *The More You Know*
  • uiop - July 24, 2012 10:27 a.m.

I've heard that the name Donkey Kong was supposed to be Monkey Kong, but was not translated correctly.
  • Nikku7 - July 24, 2012 2:12 p.m.

Mario breaks blocks with his fist, but Wario actually does break them with his head! You get an invisible helmet power up in Wario Land 3.
  • Nikku7 - July 24, 2012 2:41 p.m.

Also, I notice a lot of people seem to believe that the koopalings are Bowser's children when I believe are actually his nephews and niece. They have been referred to as both from different sources, but I don't think they're actually his legit children, especially seeing as how Bowser Jr. is considered (seemingly) a rank above them.
  • Sebaara - July 25, 2012 1:30 p.m.

In the Kyoto Island one, you should add that the King of that castle actually looks the same as Mario (With Kings clothes) Resembling that Mario is (kind of) the king of Nintendo (It headquarters are in Kyoto, as stated on the picture)
  • huhwhatthehuh - July 25, 2012 4:04 p.m.

Nice and informative article, although there is one bit of misinformation I noticed - namely, Bowser's original name as King Koopa. Yes, this was his name in the Japanese games and in American media, but his video game name in English has always been Bowser. You can even look into an original copy of the Super Mario Bros. NES manual to see for yourself. For some reason people always attribute his first appearance as King Koopa when Bowser was clearly always in print. If you want to get really technical, he was originally known as Daimaou Koopa in Japan, although he's still called King Koopa at times. Nowadays, Nintendo has reconciled the two names - he is known as King Bowser Koopa in some sources. This is similar to how the princess was once known as Peach Toadstool in International versions of Super Mario 64 and the Japanese-only Shindou Edition, or Dr. Ivo "Eggman" Robotnik's semi-convoluted name from a certain once-rival series
  • sec713 - August 6, 2012 10:48 p.m.

Why do none of these slideshow stories from GamesRadar work on Firefox? It's absurd that I have to use goddamn IE to read this.
  • garnsr - August 17, 2012 7:46 p.m.

I always use Firefox and have never had a problem. I don't know where you can go from there, but it isn't Firefox itself causing the problem, I guess.
  • xerostarr182 - August 8, 2012 3:09 a.m.

Which IE version are you using? I can't get the thing to work on Firefox, Internet Explorer, or the 3DS browser :/ All the next page buttons seem to just reload a different ad on the side. Still waiting on an email back from the gamesradar support just so I can read this thing.
  • marktheknife - August 17, 2012 7:02 p.m.

Hmm, I wonder if Wart's appearance in Link's Awakening was a purposeful hint that that adventure was also a dream (like SMB 2)? They have some other Mario characters in Link's Awakening too if I remember correctly...