• TPoppaPuff - July 20, 2012 8:34 p.m.

It's King Bowser Koopa and Princess Peach Toadstool. Bowser and Peach are first names, Koopa and Toadstool are last names. The intro to Mario 64 proves this. Her letter is from Princess Toadstool and she signs it Peach.
  • PoweringUp - July 25, 2012 9:48 a.m.

She Signs it Princess Toadstool Peach. Meaning her name is Peach Toadstool. Better than her name being Peach Mario. Hopefully they don't get married, and make it even more confusing.
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - July 20, 2012 9:02 p.m.

He's always been Bowser here, unless they changed the instruction manual at some point. There, he's "Bowser, King of the Koopa." Unless you simply meant that in Japan, he was Daimao Kuppa (Great Demon King Koopa).
  • comaqi - July 21, 2012 9:48 a.m.

This was awesome!
  • garnsr - July 21, 2012 10:58 a.m.

I'm surprised anyone didn't know that was an axe you jump on behind Bowser in the original SMB, but I know how these strange things get into your head when you're a kid, then stay there. I have a hard time remembering what names are official now, whether Toadstool and Bowser are the new versions, or the ones I grew up with. Kuribo's Shoe is still a much better name.
  • archnite - July 21, 2012 12:12 p.m.

Henry Gilbert: Executive Editor of Nintendo and Comics strikes again. Only notable factoid I can think of is that SMB was supposed to have side scrolling shooter stages.
  • tehtimeisnow - July 21, 2012 12:37 p.m.

a well nown fact about mario is all the ganes hes ever been in r complete garbege this is a fact cuz mario games suck end of storey
  • Shnubby - July 21, 2012 2:13 p.m.

Seriously, learn to spell.
  • BaraChat - July 21, 2012 3:53 p.m.

Obvious troll is obvious. And is absurdly horrible at writing in proper english... On topic, I thought I would have known at least half of these, having played many, many Mario games for over 2 decades, but I only knew 7. I guess there are many things I never noticed, so thank you GR, it was actually a very entertaining piece.
  • J-Fid - July 21, 2012 4:18 p.m.

How many times do I have to tell you people to ignore this guy? Responding to him is like being one those old people falling for an obvious phone scam. Also, I'm 99% sure he (or maybe he's an it, what do I know) doesn't care what you all have to say to him. He just trolls, then waits for you guys to freak out. It's a formula so simple, only an old person could actually fall for such a scam.
  • Mariofreak63 - July 21, 2012 1:14 p.m.

To clarify, the first Mario game to be voiced is actually a game called Mario's Game Gallery. Mario's Game Gallery is a compilation of games published by Interplay Entertainment Corp. and developed by Presage Software, Inc. for the PC. It was released in 1995. It was later re-released as Mario's FUNdamentals, though it was published by Mindscape for the PC version and by Stepping Stone for the Macintosh version. It was also developed by Brainstorm Entertainment. It was released for the Macintosh in 1996, and for the PC in January 1997. It is the first video game to feature Mario voiced by Charles Martinet, though most attribute Super Mario 64 as being the first.
  • Shnubby - July 21, 2012 2:16 p.m.

This was a great article! Mario has such a great history, it's a shame he's not as big as he used to be in terms of popularity... Ps: Why is that "tehtimeisnow" person leaving stupid hate comments on every article that's Nintendo related? Haha.
  • J-Fid - July 21, 2012 4:21 p.m.

Because it secretly owns every Nintendo product ever released. It probably types its comments with a Power Glove on.
  • Shnubby - July 22, 2012 4:47 a.m.

ahahahaha! I almost forgot about the power glove!
  • alexandre-bret - July 21, 2012 9:44 p.m.

cOOL ARTICLE, I didn't follow Nintendo from 96 until 2005, so I was suprised Toadstool was changed to Peach when I finally came back
  • colafred4 - July 22, 2012 12:01 a.m.

Mario does not cut the rope bridge, he cuts the chain that holds the bridge.
  • colafred4 - July 22, 2012 12:03 a.m.

Mario does not cut the rope bridge, he cuts the chain that holds the bridge.
  • kevinw729 - July 22, 2012 3:12 a.m.

It is always interesting to see the corporate 'spin' that is placed on cerebral classic games over time. I have watched Nintendo 'manage' Mario from arcade to console over the years and try and gloss over the origination of the title and character. Now I see "...Shigeru Miyamoto was working on his first game, one featuring cartoon character Popeye..." spin popping up again. This version of Donkey Kong's history was peddled out of Japan only a few years ago. It appeared around the time that a writer dug up the court records over the Paramount Pictures (who produced the 1976 hit King Kong) and Nintendo over the arcade game; stating that it was based on their property. It was revealed that rather than a plumber, Jumpman was a little ape (games original name Monkey Kong) trying to rescue Lady from King Kong - Nintendo settled out of court and shored up the iconography defining Marion from jumpman (it can be dangerous using Google for your research, especially as the Arcade Flyers example is a later version of the original flyer!) http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_video/nintendo/22007201.jpg The arcade version of Popeye came out from Nintendo and KingFeature the year after DK - interesting again Nintendo building off of a film popularization (Paramount Pictures releasing the film in 1980 that turned into a major flop). http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/flyers_video/nintendo/22003201.jpg Funny how Nintendo works so hard to paper over this portion of their history when in reality all the emerging coin-op companies were flaunting copyright left right and center (Atari and the JAWS fiasco a great example). This is similar to the way Namco tried to hide PUCKMAN's original title till the MAME code was found, then spent thousands trying to stop this being reported!! Shame to see Gameradar perpetuating the same all spin though.
  • zombi3grim - July 22, 2012 11:32 a.m.

You need to try your research again. Next time, from reputable sources. Pick yourself up from the fail landing you just did, brush the dirt of your clothes and realize not everything you read on the internet is true. Take off the tinfoil hat too.
  • Slider64 - July 22, 2012 4:40 a.m.

If P-wing stands for Paratroopa Wing what about the P-bag item in Super Mario World
  • zombi3grim - July 22, 2012 11:36 a.m.

Some of these I knew. Alot I didnt. I usually dont like Henry Gilbert articles due to his blatant hatred of FFVII because of its mainstream status, but I'll make an exception here. Maybe one day he'll grow up.