Topics

Top 7

• jakalair - December 17, 2013 11:43 a.m.

The main picture of this article can be found at http://www.myextralife.com/comic/blue-prophecy/ Blue Prophecy was drawn by Scott Johnson 2012 Nice list, but I think updating it with a few modern ones like Spelunky would fit better. That is the only game I have had to separate my boys while playing.
  • jakalair - December 17, 2013 11:49 a.m.

They changed the pic . Oh well, this one is ok I guess.
  • GR HollanderCooper - December 17, 2013 12:11 p.m.

Yeah, I just finished talking with Scott. He's super cool!
  • jakalair - December 17, 2013 12:21 p.m.

That he is. I wish I could remember the podcast he did where he just talked trash about the blue shell for about 5 minutes straight during his discussion of Mario Kart. That shell has plagued more than one gamers dreams.
  • GR HollanderCooper - December 17, 2013 12:24 p.m.

*cries*
  • db1331 - December 17, 2013 10:30 a.m.

The ultimate test of friendship is Mario Kart 64, Wario Stadium, Lap 3. Your friend gets a lightning bolt just as you are making the turn into the jump. You're climbing the ramp, and you see the lightning bolt just sitting there in his item box. We've all seen what happens next.
  • rxb - December 17, 2013 7:18 a.m.

Good list. Scrolling beat em up / brawlers also had the problem of the weaker player using up all the joint credits continues. At home it was bad enough but in the arcade it could get very expensive. Also Portal 2 co op is only bad if you play with the wrong person, my best mate and I enjoyed every bit.
  • Zeedar - December 17, 2013 4:10 a.m.

Magicka. When you are playing coop, and just about to win, then your friend accidentally blows the entire party off screen, and game over. Aaargh! And then there is Speedrunners. It is in early access on steam, and boy is it good. Alone its nothing special, but when you get 4 people on the same room with some controllers, it becomes the most moment-to-moment adrenaline pumping insane fun you've ever had. And you will hate your friends.
  • GOD - December 16, 2013 11:17 p.m.

I've never had a relationship with someone tested by one of these games, and the only time I've raged at someone in the same room over a game was probably in some kind of fighting game where they just spammed a move to victory. Over. And over. And over. Otherwise don't hate the player, hate the game. I don't want to kill the person who threw the blue shell at me. Just the person who pitched it at Nintendo....
  • Craza - December 16, 2013 10:06 p.m.

My fiance and I played Portal 2 together and it's an experience we couldn't get in any other multiplayer game. It was also an excellent opportunity to see just how intelligent and good at puzzles my fiance was, though I was no pushover either. He'd find the solution to one puzzle, and I'd find the solution to the next, and we both worked together really well. We didn't argue or get upset at each other if we made a mistake. So, I guess I see Portal 2 as more of a game that can test how compatible you are or how well you work together on a challenge, which is a good indicator of how you two might solve real-life problems together in the future. I am also a devious bastard and messed around with him so much, but we both had a lot of fun.
  • Vonter - December 16, 2013 9:24 p.m.

Could't beat those players using that snaking technique in Mario Kart.
  • LordZarlon - December 16, 2013 6:23 p.m.

Thanks for mentioning Starcraft 64. I actually beat the Terran campaign in Starcraft 64 before finally getting a proper pc and beating it on that. The split screen was actually cool for testing which units were more powerful than each other one on one.
  • universaltofu - December 16, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Good list, left 4 dead rang truest to me, some people took the co-op a tad too seriously.
  • Outofmanyone - December 16, 2013 5:01 p.m.

Completely agree with the Mario Party and Kart, every Christmas when the family was over we would play Party and it would almost always result in an argument heh. Sadly, I remember one time that I punched a friend over a Mario Party game(I think it was the first MP), he punched me back, we started fighting and it ended with a broken TV, suffice it to say we were scolded by our parents.. I bet Nintendo plans for this to happen.
  • UmiKaru - May 30, 2014 6:44 a.m.

I completely owned a friend in Smash Bros 64 that he angrily told me to leave his house. We were no longer friends.
  • winner2 - December 16, 2013 3:56 p.m.

I bust out laughing on the Mario kart page, nice job Zach. This is going to be great in the podcast too.
  • Dehumanization - December 16, 2013 2:34 p.m.

I almost broke up with my girlfriend, and was at war with my siblings over Fortune Street.
  • talleyXIV - December 18, 2013 4:51 p.m.

I wanted to kill the computers I was playing against.
  • Redeater - December 16, 2013 1:07 p.m.

People love to complain about the blue shell in Mario Kart but I always found Mario Party to be much worse. Back in the N64 days I would let my g/f and a couple other girls win every now and then.After it became apparent that that you could win the damn game while remaining in 3rd I resorted to slaughtering them in the minigames yet I STILL only won around 1/3 of the time. "You've fallen down a pit 30 times this game? Here's 5 stars!" Fun.....but annoying if you have a competitive bone in your body. :D
  • BladedFalcon - December 16, 2013 1:14 p.m.

Well, the blue shell is iconic and easy to pinpoint, but yeah, Mario Party is way worse, which is why Mario Kart is number 5 and Mario party number 1 I suppose XD