Topics

Top 7

We Recommend

• Icehearted - October 15, 2012 12:57 p.m.

I remember one game a long time ago that punished clip wasting called Project IGI. Also pretty cool that bullets could pass through wood and injure the player but bounced off metal.
  • jackthemenace - October 15, 2012 12:42 p.m.

That was pretty gun, and the one about wasted ammo in magazines is something that's always got on my nerves about games. I'd always just had to pretend that there's a point between gameplay and cutscenes where the protagonist would take all the bullets out his older clips and put them into new ones. However, if I ever DO make a game, I'm so including some sort of Shadows of the Damned Johnson-esque bullet goblin that does exactly that for you. The one about levelling up just depressed me though. I mean, it was funny, but... You're meaning to tell me that repetitively grinding the same task over and over- IE, school- WON'T make me a psychic!?
  • sparta704 - October 15, 2012 12:36 p.m.

Loved the ending, "Get out your robe and wizard caps...". Hilarious.
  • JMarsella09 - October 15, 2012 12:35 p.m.

On the topic of impossible jumps, how on earth could you forget about double jumps. Mind you they're becoming less prevalent, but still.
  • rypar713 - October 15, 2012 12:42 p.m.

Double jumps were also the first thing that came to mind that didn't make the list. They have always bothered me. Who thought it was a good idea to be able to have a character jump off of some molecules in the air?
  • JarkayColt - October 15, 2012 12:17 p.m.

Haha, you completely nailed all the best, most absurd things that I'd ever associate with games. The ammo clip one always makes me chuckle. No idea why it still happens, because losing the bullets would at least add a layer of "strategy" to your management of reloads/ammo expenditure. Also Link's Iron Boots are definitely the best example of the weight thing. He's obviously carrying the boots all the time, but they're only heavy when they're on his feet. The hell? Oh, and the first time I noticed that the third person camera was kinda cheaty was in Uncharted. Drake could shoot just about anyone from behind blind cover so long as they were standing dead center on the screen. Certainly made the multiplayer interesting. The ONLY one I would add to this list is when characters/dialogues break the fourth wall by mentioning player-orientated stuff, like controller buttons, really matter-of-factly, as if everbody in the game world knows the X button is a thing.
  • sixo T - October 15, 2012 12:15 p.m.

It seems like the only game that had the "Look Around Corners" Concept with an actual explanation was Ghost Recon.... :P just sayin
  • RonnyLive19881 - October 15, 2012 12:15 p.m.

This was brilliant! One thing I want to see in an open world game in the future is see NPC's react to glitches or bugs. Like in Red Dead someone just starts floating to the sky a crowed of people gather around where the person took off freaking out and pointing to the sky or if an enemy just blinks out of existence in a battle, your character notices and freaks out saying, "Shit these guys aren't normal!". I think the best bit would be a villager witnessing you doing a replication glitch and moments later the whole town is treating you like Jesus.
  • RonnyLive19881 - October 15, 2012 12:18 p.m.

I could just see the town gathering around handing you bread, life stock and gold asking you to work your mericle Lol
  • yonderTheGreat - October 15, 2012 11:55 a.m.

There are reasons that I love the Thief (note GamesRadar: a STEALTH game, fools) and the amazing but amazingly flawed Gothic games. The Gothic games translated XP into actual skills. SWG had as many types of XP as skills. Kill someone with a pistol? Get pistol XP. Heal someone with music? Get music XP. It was gloriously beautiful, until Sony murdered the game. *cry*
  • GR HollanderCooper - October 15, 2012 11:58 a.m.

*hugs you and cries about Star Wars Galaxies*
  • nofxmike06 - October 15, 2012 11:48 a.m.

Regenerative health is simply "healing" scaled appropriately for the experience of a video game. No one enjoys waiting 6-9 weeks to heal a broken leg or a maybe longer for a GSW(I'm not a medical professional--don't try to correct me over semantics). Games will always imitate life but never copy it. Life isn't "fun" but games are marketed as fun. Art imitates life. :P
  • BladedFalcon - October 15, 2012 11:37 a.m.

How about the mere fact that 99% of video game protagonists can survive pretty much anything a human being wouldn't provided they have enough health? I know you've already covered regenerating health and recovering health instantly trough food consumption. But I'm talking about how the player can get slashed by a katana, and not lose an arm instantly, get hit by a flamethrower, and not get it's skin melted or even it's hair singed, or how about some games in which you can even get hit point blank by an explosion, and not burst into tiny little bits. Fun stuff like that.
  • SDHoneymonster - October 15, 2012 11:18 a.m.

I wish there really were Bullet Goblins. War would be so much more fun.
  • Annihilator820 - October 15, 2012 12:20 p.m.

A game based around that could be really interesting. A multiplayer game where the players are only able to regenerate, have infinite ammo, and carry all their shit because of a goblin that follows them around. The only way to win is to kill the goblin first, then the weak player.