Topics

Top 7

• king-ofchennai - May 6, 2013 4:58 p.m.

"90% of gamers steal, So let''s fuck the shit up for remaining 10% paying gamers.". Yeah, that's grand!
  • snipes101 - May 6, 2013 5:37 p.m.

Well, yeah - you have to. The bad apples spoil the bunch. I wasn't allowed to chew bubble gum all through freaking high school because some idiot put bubble gum under some of the desks. While most of us knew not to do that, it only took a few bad students to screw it up for the rest of us. The same goes for here, except there are millions and millions of dollars at stake.
  • Bloodstorm - May 6, 2013 5:44 p.m.

Every pirated copy does not equal a legitimate copy that would have been bought. It represents a number of people who would never have bought the game in the first place. Zero dollars are lost in that equation.
  • BladedFalcon - May 6, 2013 5:52 p.m.

So... just because that's how it is. That makes it okay? Wouldn't you have preferred if the people in charge of your school would have instead investigated, found, and properly punished those responsible and leave you and the rest that did nothing wrong alone?
  • someonetgsn - May 6, 2013 8:53 p.m.

There is a problem with this though, there is only so much a company can do to protect their interests. Piracy is tough to combat, and on top of that, there are so many of them, so they have to use retarded security measures to control the damage. This is not limited to games, many things in life work this way, and to complain about its unfairness would be futile. I do not agree with their choices, but if they go too far, the outcry will hurt them. The only thing companies care about is the profit margin, if it works, they will do it. Look at EA, they were named "the worst company of the year" twice, and are still strong. Sometimes it is the consumer base that perpetuates the problems, and there is nothing that any individual can do about it.
  • BladedFalcon - May 6, 2013 9:10 p.m.

...I wouldn't be so sure in saying EA is still strong though. Their profits dropped drastically this last fiscal year, so much so that their CEO had to resign, they haven been laying off and reducing staff from several of their developers, and they have even reduced support for platforms such as the Wii U. Of course, I'm not saying they are dying, but they are obviously not doing so hot. The extent of how much of this is because of their increasing unpopularity is wildly debatable and probably impossible to determine. However, I do believe that even if it feels futile, calling out on these things and raising your voice is at least SOMETHING, and it's far more preferable than doing nothing. For example, regardless of whether you think it was justified or not, when the whole Mass Effect 3 ending outcry happened, the buzz was loud enough that Both Bioware and EA had to react to it, and while not completely, Bioware DID act to what the public was asking for. Not saying that this particular example is a positive one, specially if you're of the opinion that gamers were totally in the wrong for doing this. But the point I'm trying to illustrate is that sometimes, shouting loud enough CAN accomplish something. And I'd rather raise my voice even if it feels like it's alone at first, rather than just stay silent and watch as big companies, act like bullies as they take our lunch money.
  • someonetgsn - May 7, 2013 6:36 a.m.

I suppose I have to agree. Any change starts when the first person stands up ans says "no!". However, In a case such as this, you are hardly alone In my opinion, the outcry for Mass Effect 3 was pretty stupid and pointless, but enough loud people got on the bandwagon, that Bioware could not even ignore them anymore. I find that gamers can be a self-entitled bunch sometimes, and amidst the sea of complaints, it is difficult sometimes to sort the legitimate complaints from the stupid and nitpicky complaints. I am not saying your complaints are not justified though, I think that sometimes, gamers need to just grow up and deal with things like normal people. That way, when something really matters, like DRM, comes up, our complaints will actually mean something. With all that said though, your opinion may be more pregmatic in the sense that it is easier for the company to adapt to the masses, than it is to teach the masses basic logical reasoning, and understanding. My point is, that gamers really need to be smarter. It is not wrong to stand up against an unjust system, but gamers need to pick their battles. Your Mass Effect 3 example is an example of people standing up against the wrong thing. This makes gamers look immature, and only hinders our ability to combat legitimate issues.
  • BladedFalcon - May 7, 2013 8:40 a.m.

Oh, I agree that gamers need to be smarter AND more mature. But see, to me, wishing for that IS futile and an utopian dream, because then that would entail the majority of people actually being smarter... Which is not gonna magically happen, and as proven with the common lowest denominator mindset of mass media, the majority of people are DUMB by default... So... If we're never gonna get that, we can at least hope that whenever possible, we can shout loud enough to get those sheep to hear us and join in the bandwagon to change something that's worth changing. Yes, it's not a perfect system, but hey, better than nothing, wouldn't you agree? (Also, just for the sake of honesty. I WILL say that I was one of the people that complained about the ME3 ending thing... to an extent. I mainly pointed out that well, the ending just flat out felt half assed, unfinished, and that in no way reflected the promises of the developer in delivering "an ending that's not just A,B,C". That being said, I strongly disagreed with the people that took it way to far in saying that the ending ruined the entire game and the franchise, and that Bioware should entirely remake the ending to their own specifications. THAT is very immature, calling out a big publisher or developers on their bullshit however, isn't.)
  • GamesRadarCollanderCooper - May 6, 2013 4:18 p.m.

I have no problems with DRM but that 90% piracy rate is a specious and unsubstantiated assertion from Ubisoft
  • The_Tingler - May 7, 2013 8:47 a.m.

Yep, I was going to comment on that myself. The "90%" thing is nonsense made-up garbage from Ubisoft who said it with no facts to back it up. And incidentally, right in the middle of their extreme hateful always-online-but-we-never-are DRM crapola, where pirated copies of the game played much better and more smoothly than legitimate copies (or in some cases actually managed to play at all, as I discovered when I bought Splinter Cell Conviction).
  • mbavalo - May 6, 2013 4:08 p.m.

Most of the stuff here is true, but when it comes to DLC I strongly disagree. Is it coincidental that for some EA games, the most important questions are answered through DLC, look at ME3, why is it that we only see the origin of the reapers on DLC? That was an intended part of the game they just pulled out so as to sell it back to you! Yes there are companies that are justified to make more DLC (like Bethesda) but then there are the others that just cut the game out, it's like buying a car and before you can drive it, the guy who sold it to you tells you that you first have to buy the wheels from him before taking it
  • FOZ - May 6, 2013 4:04 p.m.

What in the flying hell are you talking about? How have I "earned" DRM? How has ANYONE who hasn't pirated a game "earned" it? That is by far the absolute stupidest thing I have ever read on this site. Unfuckingbelievable. Also, it's a used game because it's already been bought once. If all the money from used games went to the publisher/ developer/ etc, then they would be making multiple sales out of a single copy. Used games don't materialize out of nowhere.
  • FemJesse - May 6, 2013 4:54 p.m.

I kinda agree. If someone commits murder, you don't punish everyone by having them stick their tongue on a battery. You fry the guy that did it.
  • GR HollanderCooper - May 6, 2013 6:59 p.m.

No, but if people steal from a store, it makes sense that the store would buy a security system. That's essentially what DRM is.
  • FOZ - May 6, 2013 10:19 p.m.

A security system doesn't hinder consumers from using products that they have already legitimately purchased and are using in their own home.
  • snipes101 - May 6, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Like I said above, it really only takes a few bad apples to get everyone in trouble. Don't blame the publishers for protecting themselves, blame the ones who were stealing from them to being with. Where the used games are concerned, I really have no issue with publishers blocking out multiplayer with an online pass. Like the article says, it's not free to run those servers.
  • shadowshaq - May 6, 2013 6:45 p.m.

but buying a used game prevents you from buying the game first hand, mean the people who made the game just lost a sale and doesnt get paid for what they made
  • sandplasma - May 6, 2013 3:45 p.m.

DRM is like Gun Control. The idiot gang bangers get illegal guns regardless of the laws and use them as they wish. You try to control this and you're punishing those that DO obey the laws. Its dumb.
  • brickman409 - May 6, 2013 4:34 p.m.

I agree
  • sandplasma - May 6, 2013 3:44 p.m.

I admit I used hate the idea of DLC, it just meant we were given an unfinished game I've learned to like it as it gives extra gameplay on a good game. I still hate Free To Play however, You cant beat the guys that pay (be it in World of Tanks or something else). Yearly sequels are poop, I stopped buying COD after part 2. I need to miss it.
  • meg127 - May 6, 2013 3:24 p.m.

This article is full of so much fail I don't even know if it's worth commenting on. :(
  • RichardSalafia - May 6, 2013 3:10 p.m.

Now please how that is less harmfull than piracy. By forcing along DRM you are ensuring that a lot of you're legitimate customers will start resenting you and begin using Pirated copies of those games. Here is the fact. You are hurting you're loyal base in an attempt to disroot the disloyal customers.... how do you expect that to work ?? Someone really high up in these companies needs to be removed.