Topics

Top 7

• Fuzunga - October 29, 2013 1:21 p.m.

Finding Andale in Fallout 3. Holy shit.
  • talleyXIV - October 29, 2013 5:58 p.m.

Fallout 3 was pretty unnerving though. Vault 87 where you get Fawkes if I remember correctly (man it has been forever) or all vaults in general were scary as hell to me.
  • mothbanquet - October 31, 2013 5:29 a.m.

Seconded.
  • CitizenWolfie - November 5, 2013 7:30 a.m.

That was pretty creepy but far worse for me was the Dunwich building...
  • Pruman - October 29, 2013 10:10 a.m.

I was playing Black & White one time late at night with headphones on. Slapping my creature around, teaching it to eat people, setting fire to their houses, the usual fun stuff. Then, out of nowhere, a raspy voice whispered "Deeeeeeeeeeeath" directly in my ear. I nearly crapped my pants. My blood ran cold and I turned around...but no one was there. When it happened again a few minutes later, I realized it was from someone dying in the game. I still have trouble playing it because that sound effect freaks me the hell out.
  • KA87 - October 29, 2013 9:10 a.m.

I actually played and watched that ending from #1. Its not really that odd of an ending when you take into account that the mad women in the ending that gets eaten was driven mad by that fact that she choose to give up her ability to have children when she bonded with her dragon and that this drives her further and further into insanity as the game progresses.
  • Zeedar - October 29, 2013 3:56 a.m.

We don't go to Ravenholm...
  • udUbdaWgz - October 29, 2013 7:23 a.m.

first time i played the game, i was caught completely off-guard. well-said!
  • BaraChat - October 28, 2013 9:05 p.m.

Didn't some "gaming" Youtuber do a top 7 like this many months ago? But I can't recall any of these making that man's list. Anyway, fun list, as always.
  • shawksta - October 28, 2013 8:36 p.m.

Great list, neat to see Super Paper Mario and Fable 2 make the list, they were both unsettling, especially Fable 2 since its not normally scary and obviously because the former is a goddamn Nintendo game. Speaking of which, River Twygz Bed in SPM was also unsettling, its already bad enough your technically in Hell, but then you go to the river and this happens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsuTC1yGqng also, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, while it was innocent scares throughout, that final Picture you had a scan was a piece of shit, a massive one, F*ck you.
  • shawksta - October 28, 2013 8:25 p.m.

Before i finish the list let me curse at you guys for making the images quick shots of a second picture, they freighten me, PERFECT
  • WrathLord03 - October 28, 2013 7:43 p.m.

Only because my arachnophobia was a little more severe a few years ago, the spider-level in Darksiders got to me a bit. And then BioWare had a great thing going in ME3 with the mission where they showed off the Banshees, but the reveal was a little anti-climactic and all the suspense didn't really go anywhere. So yeah, nothing I've experienced tops this list.
  • PlainLikeVanilla - October 28, 2013 6:38 p.m.

I feel like this article was inspired by #7.
  • J-Fid - October 28, 2013 8 p.m.

My first thought exactly.
  • Swedish_Chef - October 28, 2013 5:41 p.m.

Giygas.
  • Fhiend - October 28, 2013 5:27 p.m.

The end of FF6 because that game is so awesome, I wish it would never end. Ok seriously, the end of FF7 because it was so crap.
  • loomis22 - October 28, 2013 4:13 p.m.

Yup, Drakengard babies were quite freaky. I loved that game. I wish they would do, at this point, a ps4 revamp. One can dream...
  • godisanarc - October 28, 2013 4:12 p.m.

Max Payne 1 or 2 (can't remember which) had the really creepy dead baby shit, with all the crying and what not. That was pretty creepy.
  • niederman - October 28, 2013 4:11 p.m.

i actually never finished Star Wars: Bounty Hunter, because near the end of the game all the enemies turn from possibly wanted criminals to bumrushing midget Balrogs still to this day CANNOT deal with it.
  • reveffect - October 28, 2013 3:25 p.m.

Yes! I remember how you first encounter spiders in Origins in that town you escape to after the fight with the darkspawn where off in the corner of the outskirts is a small gang of them. Almost made me not want to continue lol. Pretty much spiders in any game would be it for me. For Elder Scrolls I could say the giant spiders in Skyrim would be good for the list but then again they were expected since they had been talked about and shown in trailers and what-not but the daedric spiders in Oblivion really got me because they don't make an appearance until you reach a specific high level. There I am running along in my 500th oblivion gate when I see the most grotesque thing in the distance and then pause the game in fear as it started leaping towards me. Also the spider cave in Diablo 3. I wasn't going to say the spider cave at first because it is also pretty obvious like the spiders in Skyrim but then I remembered the dirty little trick they would play every now and again where you would see the dark silhouette of a bunch of spiders descending down your screen as you hear them all in your ears. That cave was evil. I'll never understand why so many western rpg developers feel the need to include spiders in their games where as eastern rpg developers don't.
  • MaskedPheasant - October 28, 2013 2 p.m.

Going through the abandoned U-Boat base in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, quite the tonal shift.