Topics

Top 7

• lazer59882 - March 12, 2012 8:40 p.m.

really...what the fuck is "to the moon"? i almost feel gypped having read this whole thing for it to end on some game i never heard of
  • TheMagnificentManCooker - March 13, 2012 3:13 p.m.

Why do you even read the articles if you just want to hear things you already heard of?
  • Sittdown - March 12, 2012 8:17 p.m.

in GOW 3 when Dom sacrifices him to save Marcus and to be with Mariah
  • BlakGentleman - March 12, 2012 7:55 p.m.

Okami
  • Dmancapri - March 12, 2012 7:46 p.m.

I may have been little last time I played it, but the entire Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series' endings made me cry. You are introduced to a cheery, upbeat world where strange things are happening: pokemon becoming hostile, people becoming pokemon ( in your case), the world falling apart. And then the ending.... Tragic, man
  • samsneeze - March 12, 2012 7:38 p.m.

I don't mind the inclusion of Gears of War 2 at all. Final Fantasy VII on the other hand is pretty disappointing to see. I remember playing the game and having her and die and thinking "Huh. Oh well." To be fair, the only Final Fantasy games that have ever gotten real emotions from me were VI and IV, the other were just kind of there. Dragon Quest V's story is pretty sad two thirds of it's majority. It's presented in a happy quirky manner, but that doesn't really help it for me. Shadow of the Colossus was pretty neat at the end, but I don't remember being saddened by it. The Mass Effect series was pretty sad too, I guess. But I think it's ruined by the lack of music when shit was going down. Let's face it, Mass Effect's music hardly ever fits the tone of what's going on on screen. That's if you can even hear it. It's all mostly forgettable. The lack NieR is kind of hard to grasp. It's kind of slow and tedious, but it has one of the best stories and the best characters this generation by far. And unlike Mass Effect the music would always fit the tone of what was currently happening. Lost Odyssey is a true surprise though. Most people would have passed over it faster than they would NieR. It's completely deserving of its spot on this list. I mean, that game seriously made you sad. There was no real way to avoid it. I recall at one point, I also stopped reading Thousand Years Dreams due to the sheer depressing nature of them. Despite that, I do have favorites I like to go back and read. Letters From a Weakling and Hanna's Departure are at the peak of the list for me. I guess Red Dead Redemption gets an obvious nod for obvious reasons. Final Fantasy XIII, as heavily flawed game as it was, did one thing right: Sazh. Sazh's character and subplot are what helped my plow through the game until I got to the end. Lufia II way back on the Super Nintendo had one of the most satisfyingly sad endings I've seen to this day.
  • Lemming - March 12, 2012 7:29 p.m.

The last game that made me bawl my eyes, was the ending for KH 385/2 days. Knowing Xion would never be remembered was so sad.
  • zachbob - March 12, 2012 7:10 p.m.

Where is MGS3? Really? That was the first game to make me cry...and it's without a doubt my favorite video game out there. I am dissapoint.
  • MrDuracraft - March 12, 2012 7:09 p.m.

Ghost Trick should have been on here, just that one scene... Talking about Ghost Trick is the hardest because almost everything is a spoiler. Can't say I disagree with what's on the list though, especially Mother 3
  • TheMagnificentManCooker - March 13, 2012 3:16 p.m.

The music during that scene still makes me tear up
  • Evanesco - March 12, 2012 6:54 p.m.

Nothing will ever make me cry as hard as Shadow of the Colossus. That whole game just felt sad in a very strange, incredibly subtle way. The ending was just a huge capstone on a coffin made out of fur and black sand. Totally unexpected.
  • OD-Apache - March 12, 2012 6:50 p.m.

Once you get past the utterly contrived plot holes and devices, Mass Effect 3's ending just...once it sunk in, it haunted me. Just the absolute finality of it all. Sure, if the song at the end, "An End Once and For All", was absent the scene would most likely fall entirely flat...but I finished the game a few days ago, and I listen to that song at least once a day...It's all I think about, it literally effected me. My friends even noticed. That one song just portrays every single emotion to what the end of Mass Effect evokes, and should. Nothing has ever done this to me. I've lost relatives...I've read a Song of Fire and Ice...I watched Will Smith kill his dog in that zombie movie...but I just feel like an asshole because, this hit me so much worse than any of those things...I feel like an asshole because a video game shouldn't do this to me, shouldn't it? I don't know if that's just how profound it's all been. And I don't shut myself in, I go outside, play sports, have a large loving family that I spend most of my time with, but Mass Effect was one of those things that I've fallen in love with since the beginning. ...I'm rambling. But this shit is fucking haunting me, and I can't tell if it's in a good way or bad. I loved all 99.9% of it, but the last 10 minutes completely changed my outlook on the series. Either way I'll remember it for the rest of my life. Just goes to show how profound it's all been. On this fan, at least.
  • rob619 - March 12, 2012 6:44 p.m.

No Metal Gear Solid 3/4? No, Heavy Rain?! Come on, its like you left them out just so the comments section will fill out :(
  • xarab4lyfex - March 12, 2012 6:14 p.m.

Nobody mentioned Persona 3? That game was crazy sad. Also MGS as a whole has really depressing moments, especially 4. Also a shoutout to Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations. The ending of that game was pretty sad too. Lastly, any really good game, because it's always sad to see a good game end.
  • Cyberninja - March 13, 2012 2:39 p.m.

I mentioned it Persona 3
  • forestfire55 - March 12, 2012 6:09 p.m.

Fallout 3 made me sad actually, when you look endlessly for your dad, you finally found him, he asks for help and kills himself to protect what he loves most, and then you do the same in his footsteps using the Bible verse he told you as a child about your mom who died at childbirth. That and mgs4 are the only games i have actually cried over...
  • OmgBBQ - March 12, 2012 5:41 p.m.

Red Dead Redemption was a bad one. A dirty, rotten murderous sonofabitch who just wanted to be right and get his family. He didn't even care about himself, just his wife and child. But the sad part wasn't when John died, the saddest part was when Jack (his son) and John's wife were sitting at the grave of John, who had finally gotten his family back only to be brutally murdered by the people he had helped, and time jumps forward ten or fifteen years later and you see Jack sitting at their grave as a man. The worst part was that he never had a dad, and just when things were so bad, his father came back. Things were still bad and awckward, but everything seemed like it'd be okay. Then they took it all away, and JAck had to take care of his mom untill she passed, all while having to teach himself how to be a man and not be like his dad, who was a murdering thief, but a good man deep inside. The struggle of accepting who your father was, and wanting to love him without being like him all while he left you a long time ago is a heart-wrenching thing to go through, especially when you see the son as a cold, bitter, lonely man.
  • QLev - March 12, 2012 5:23 p.m.

Just another vote for Red Dead Redemption. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't played it yet (which you really should have by now), but
  • hobonateor - March 12, 2012 5:01 p.m.

Crisis Core made me allot sadder then FF7 did... I really liked Zack
  • bass88 - March 12, 2012 5 p.m.

I was hoping you included Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. I almost cried my eyes out at the ending. I just wanted to hug all my loved ones and appreciate every moment with them. Dr. Kaufmann's line is perhaps the truest statement on death ever: "He wasn't a white knight. He was a human being. You never knew him and you never will." I found the ending to Alice: Madness Returns somewhat depressing too. *SPOILER* She murders the doctor to save the children from being molested and raped. However, nobody knows the truth so Alice is sent back to the asylum and lobotomised. She then spends the rest of her days in her own idealised image of London - unless McGee does a third game. *END SPOILER* Other than Silent Hill 2, Planescape: Torment, God Of War: Chains Of Olympus and Red Dead Redemption, I don't think I get upset by videogame. Videogames' attempts at drama usually come off as forced (Metal Gear Solid, Mass Effect, GTA4 for example).
  • EvidentDead - March 12, 2012 4:54 p.m.

Tidus fading away after saving the world was extremely sad. "Welp, we saved the world from the ultimate evil. Now to find true happin--whoops, the love of my life dissolved out of reality... guess I'll go turn into a stupid charlies angel treasure hunter now" And that's exactly what they did, and that's why FFX-2 is the saddest game ever.