Topics

Nintendo Top 7

• Rorschach - December 17, 2014 4:29 p.m.

I remember Wii Boxing. What a nightmare. I'm pretty sure that I woke up screaming a few times after playing it (my neighbor is STILL mad at me. Let it go, buddy). After 30 seconds, I was thinking that I should have put an oxygen tank in my living room. That's when I realized that I was out of shape and I took a Doritos break. In retrospect, I guess I should've started exercising more after that.
  • interasteral7 - February 11, 2013 6:54 p.m.

Gamesradar should of wrote that Microsoft took the idea of a camera motion detector with Kinect from Sony's EyeToy.
  • cusman - November 16, 2012 9:16 a.m.

It introduced the world to Wii Connect 24 and the Nintendo Channel with usage stat tracking and direct user feedback that is more meaningful than a 5-star rating system. Autolog feature in Need for Speed - Hot Pursuit was directly inspired by what Mario Kart Wii did with supporting and promoting asymmetric competitive online multiplayer between friends. The Near feature on PS-Vita is also somewhat inspired by WiiConnect24, but it is far too manual and tedious and flawed in many ways that WiiConnect24 got right. On the 3DS, the WiiConnect24 evolved and is now called SpotPass and they added StreetPass to compliment it. Wii also was very power efficient and it was the first and only machine to have slot loading drive that could take DVD size and Gamecube size disks. It was also the first console that was properly backward compatible not only playing the past generation games, but also supporting the past generation memory cards and controllers. Wii also proved that system level user data and game level friend codes are not a good choice. If you moved between systems or your system died, you would lose everything Nintendo Channel that you might care about and have to re-link with friends with new System/Friend code exchanges. That to me was the biggest flaw with Wii after not having WiiMotion+ controllers from the start.
  • clownferret - November 15, 2012 2:42 a.m.

Wii Motion turned Tiger Woods Golf into one of the best sports games of all time. Well until the schmucks at EA decided that only 2 people could play a match online, that is. But for me the legacy for Wii, as always with Nintendo, was that Sony & Microsoft just copied what Nintendo did and added some shiny graphics.
  • n00b - November 14, 2012 5:46 p.m.

i will remember no more heroes thank you suda 51 for bringing an awesome game at a time when the wii was my only console.
  • needles - November 14, 2012 12:43 p.m.

Nintendo ain't no good no more.
  • AuthorityFigure - November 14, 2012 12:28 a.m.

I loved the RPGs and weirder games like Endless Ocean, Tatsu vs Capcom, Muramasa, Sin & Punishment 2 etc. For the Japanese gaming fan like myself, it was such good fun.
  • zombi3grim - November 13, 2012 9:55 p.m.

Nintendo will always be big in the minds of gamers. Because they have a huge strong first party line up of great exclusives that tug at the nostalgia strings. For gamers who grew up gaming with the NES and SNES, we know that feeling when we boot up a mario, kirby or zelda title. Its something Microsoft and Sony will never be able to do. Maybe with the kids who were brought up in the ps2, xbox generation. But not with us, the originals. Thats something Nintendo will always have. And its something Im grateful for.
  • Darkhawk - November 13, 2012 9:27 p.m.

For me, I'll probably most thankful for the fact it finally put a true Star Wars game in my hands. Admittedly, that Star Wars game was Red Steel 2, but nevertheless I cannot underscore enough how amazing it was to finally play a 1:1 motion controlled lightsaber/force push video game. Why Lucasarts can't do it themselves is unfathomable to me.
  • Squirrel - November 13, 2012 6:32 p.m.

The Wii was a wonderful console which has been criminally underrated by a certain segment of the gaming population. And while it may have angered fanboys of other consoles, it brought so many people together and to gaming as a whole. Some of my favorite gaming moments of all time were made playing Wii. Playing Wii Sports/Play/Resort with friends after having a few was always a great time. Getting my video game hating parents to pick up a controller to simply bowl or play tennis are fond memories I cherish. And the exclusive single player games were fantastic too. Super Mario Galaxy 2 may by the most lovingly crafted game of all time, and I am more than proud to say I accomplished collecting all 241 stars!! I own over 50 games for my Wii and I can safely say not one of them is a bad game (tho Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law comes kinda close lol). And as much as I love my PS3 and the games I play on it, the Wii made me most happy as a gamer this generation. Hears to you Wii: helping people understand the magic of gaming while simultaneously pissing off stupid people everywhere. Congrats!
  • Squirrel - November 13, 2012 6:20 p.m.

It's nice to see the actual positive achievements made by the Wii on display. Too often you see hate mongering by naive adolescent gamers, who just can't stand something different existing. And to those hateful gamers I can just say I'm sorry that they missed so many amazing experiences due to their blind ignorance.
  • jennifer-velez-lugo - November 13, 2012 5:23 p.m.

I love games but the most I can say is that it was the best to play with family and not two players but multiple player...thanx wii
  • Timnoldzim - November 13, 2012 4:17 p.m.

RIP, little buddy. May your successor turn out better than it seems like it's going to...
  • RonnyLive19881 - November 13, 2012 11:29 a.m.

Nintendo won this console generation hands down, as usual Nintendo's first party support was top notch(really at its best if you think about it) but it also got a quite few great rare ambitious titles done by 3rd party developers. Games like Zach and Wiki, Madworld, RE Chronicles and DS Extraction, Little Kings Story, Red Steel 2, A boy and his Blob, No More Heroes, Silent Hill Memories, Endless Ocean(I REALLY hope this franchise makes it to the Wii U), Deadly Creatures, Elebits... the list goes on and on... wouldn't have been possible with out the Wii due to Motion controls and possibly production costs(Some of these dames wouldn't have made it past the first pitch if they were designing them for the more expensive HD consoles, the teams needed to make these games were much smaller than teams needed to HD games making production cost lower). I love the Wii and can't wait for the Wii U. Cheers Nintendo fans! BOO to all the trolls I see here...
  • shawksta - November 13, 2012 9:46 a.m.

The biggest mistake everyone tends to do is only look at the Wii at what its not instead of what it is. And Whether people like it or are hard headed farts who cant accept that gaming became bigger because of it, it IS a revolution, but just as the article states, not what we expected.
  • RedOutlive. - November 13, 2012 5:21 a.m.

The Wii didn't win this console generation. Console sales aren't everything and Nintendo did not get the big franchises like Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and so on, while Sony/Microsoft are laughing all the way to the bank with the royalties from all kinds of sucessful IPs. Yes the Wii had very good sales from exclusive titles but the so called multiplatform titles are releasing them more frequently and the cash flow doesn't stop. You think they're releasing the Wii U and actively looking for 3rd party support out of goodwill? The Wii hit the nail on the head in short term with console sales but if the Wii was this amazing money maker there would be no hurry for Nintendo's next home console. It failed the test of time, if you look at the other console manufacturers they are in no rush to release the next gen consoles, there's still money to be made with the 360/PS3 (which can be frustrating to some) and they're the ones competing with the Wii U. Sounds like they are the winners, you can't "defeat" a product that outlasts yours.
  • Relayer71 - November 13, 2012 6:45 p.m.

Console sales aren't anything. But just like Sony & Microsoft did well with their "big franchises", Nintendo did well with their own exclusives. AND unlike Sony & MS, Nintendo actually made money with hardware sales. N also had major success with the DS/DS Lite (much more than the PSP). So in terms of profit, I'm pretty sure Wii DID win this generation.
  • zombi3grim - November 13, 2012 9:48 p.m.

Gamers have always declared the console with the most sales wins the console war. Its much simpler that way. Your meddling and talk of "tests of time" are just getting in the way. I dont even own a Wii and I understand and respect that it won the console war for this generation. Its just something you accept as a gamer.
  • codystovall - November 13, 2012 4:41 a.m.

Die you wretched console...