Topics

Top 7

• BackwaterRifle - February 25, 2013 7:41 p.m.

Paper Mario and the thousand year door. Holy fail and a half gamesradar, and I normally wouldn't say such a thing, but Paper mario breaks the fourth wall in at least 5 instances that I can name off the top of my head, and at least a few more that I cant recall enough.
  • nokeisoka - February 25, 2013 11:46 p.m.

I was expecting animal crossing// mr resetti
  • pl4y4h - February 26, 2013 1:04 p.m.

"Hey you out there, I know you know who I am but no blabbing!" hahaha
  • awesomesauce - February 25, 2013 7:08 p.m.

I expected to see metal gear there. I remember playing WWE2010 and if you play the created player storyline one of the fighters says "...you look like someone, somebody would make in a video game" Then he winks at the screen. It was hilarious
  • Sinosaur - February 25, 2013 5:20 p.m.

...Psycho Mantis couldn't make my controller move because my living room had plush carpet. I was always sort of sad about that.
  • ChaoticJack - February 25, 2013 10 p.m.

Psycho Mantis: foiled by interior design.
  • slimjim441 - February 25, 2013 4:08 p.m.

You could include any MGS game. Having Otacon talk about 'changing to game disc 2,' in Act 4 of MGS4 was awesome. Of course, everything about that game was amazing.
  • macrm32 - April 8, 2014 2:09 p.m.

That was more of a nostalgic throwback. I love the Mantis scene in Twin Snakes, how Snake turns to the player and nods to let him know he can drop the controller so that Mantis can make it move.
  • StrayGator - February 25, 2013 3:29 p.m.

The "Deities" of Assassin's Creed broke the fourth wall (sort of) by delivering to Ezio/Connor messages meant (and targeted) for Desmond. You could argue that, at least in the end of AC2, they also targeted the player (Minerva looking straight into the camera), delivering some heavy handed socio-politic-eschatological prophecy, which only concerns the fictional AC universe obviously... OR IS IT?!?!?! Also CL4P-TP. He can access the nexus of all realities. He has 4 slots there.
  • shawksta - February 25, 2013 3:04 p.m.

Great List, Psycho Mantis will always be Top Wall Breaker! Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door had some nice 4th Wall Breaking. Goombella did some in her tattle, Professor Frankly personally talks to the Player to pay attention with Mario and partner questioning who is he talking to, and my personal Favorite when Lord Crump, dressed as a Pirate in Chapter 5, straight out talks to the Player that he knows its obvious that the player knows its him but to keep it a secret anyway XD
  • KnightDehumidifier - February 25, 2013 2:49 p.m.

Any RPG that has a building or a room dedicated to the developers making the actual game, like the Creatures Inc. building in Pokemon.
  • RedHarlow - February 25, 2013 2:40 p.m.

In Company of Heroes, if you keep clicking on a squad of Paratroopers, they eventually say "Squad! Get ready to kick the shit out of player one!"
  • FAT47ITY - February 25, 2013 2:30 p.m.

Need I even mention Blizzard's love of "repeated unit selection" jokes? Warcraft 3's were the best. My personal favourite is the Priest's line: "I have been chosen by the Great Metal Hand in the Sky", referring to the player's cursor.
  • givmedew - February 27, 2013 9:33 a.m.

Yeh, classic "Stop Poking Me"
  • Tyrande - February 25, 2013 1:25 p.m.

in Omikron the nomad soul the game starts with the character you are going to control, asking for your help. that his time is up. you replace him in his world. and the people that knew the other you question your strange behaviour. i thought it was a very nice touch. with that i love the anime series Gintama. because the characters know they are in a anime, they make fun of the producers or mention the tv station they get broadcasted from making another character flustered that they will get canceled if they continue.
  • StrayGator - February 25, 2013 1:20 p.m.

...or this guy in the Scumm Bar™ with the "Ask me about LOOM" pin.
  • TyeTheCzar - February 25, 2013 1:01 p.m.

Spec-Ops: The Line SPOILER ALERT - At first when you play this apparently cliche military shooter, nothing seems to pop out at you. But then you get to the final few chapters. And in the second half of the story, the loading screens start becoming more condescending, and even the objective descriptions get disturbingly personal. Finally, when you confront Konrad Verner, he calls out the protagonist for his actions that can easily be attributed towards the player. It may not have the best gameplay, but its bleak story and fourth-wall breaking mindscrew elevates Spec-Ops the line to one of the most memorable games of all time.
  • doominatorx6 - February 26, 2013 7:37 a.m.

I really want to experience this, but I played Spec Ops for about an hour and got bored. Like, REALLY bored. From what I've read just about everywhere, the game becomes a complete mindfuck near the end, but is it worth slogging through an embarrassingly and painfully stock shooter?
  • Fejerro - February 26, 2013 3:15 p.m.

TyeTheCzar, you just made Spec-Ops: The Line unintentionally hilarious. I can't think of it any other way now except coming face to face with Konrad Verner (from Mass Effect, rather than Colonel Konrad, as you intended). Talk about a mind screw! I'm laughing thinking about it.
  • Lucario995 - February 25, 2013 12:49 p.m.

How about every other chapter in Kid Icarus: Uprising?