• ZiltoidTheOmniscient - November 8, 2011 12:41 p.m.

Dragonforce are an abomination to anyone who knows anything at all about power metal haha XD But In Flames are freaking amazing. Not gonna lie, Guitar Hero is responsible for quite a large amount of the rock I got into that has since led to my current tastes.
  • CitizenWolfie - November 8, 2011 12:40 p.m.

I doubt I'd be into heavy metal or rock in general if it weren't for THPS2 onwards. It was one of the things I looked forward to hearing with each instalment. But I'd also say SSX broadened my horizons to bands like Royksopp or Basement Jaxx. Funny how extreme sports games tend to have the most kickass soundtracks. But yeah, good call on GTA:SA's K-Rose and Fallout 3/NV too. *hipster glasses on* although I was into most of the artists featured on Bioshock long before it came out. Has anyone noticed how GTA tends to bring everything it's involved in into public consciousness? Vice City comes out, everyone is into the 80s again. San Andreas, 90s revival. GTAIV - suddenly Eastern Europe is cool and meerkats inexplicably speak wiz Russian aksents
  • Pyroco101 - November 8, 2011 12:22 p.m.

I'm a bit disappointed that Goldfinger's "Superman" wasn't mentioned in the THPS part of this article. Still good all around though.
  • chrisantistas2inchpenis - November 8, 2011 10:21 a.m.

YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH
  • suicidali - November 8, 2011 10 a.m.

Goddammit, I'm now compelled to listen to the THPS2 soundtrack... It's amazing how I remember the lyrics to pretty much all the songs, even though I haven't played it for the about 10 years
  • Fuzunga - November 8, 2011 9:55 a.m.

Definitely agree with THPS, but I'd probably go with Crazy Taxi.
  • Overlord153 - November 8, 2011 9:44 a.m.

The World Ends With You expanded my horizons. Before that I shut out that style of music. One of the few games i looked up the OST for. reCAPTCHA ment ofboung No i don't
  • MinxRiot - November 8, 2011 9:09 a.m.

Cheryll, as soon as I saw the baldie in your rock band group I knew EXACTLY what fictional band that was modeled after. You have made my day! The funny thing is I was watching a lot of stuff based on Yazawa's works yesterday including the Nana live action movies.
  • GamesRadarCheryll - November 8, 2011 11:25 a.m.

Yeah! High-five!
  • Moondoggie1157 - November 8, 2011 8:31 a.m.

Brutal Legend was great musically, minus the nu-metal sh*t that thinks it belongs beside Sabbath or Judas Priest (Was Cradle of Filth necessary though?) Frequency remains a favourite of mine, it was too much fun, and the music was great. Tony Hawk always gave me new music to listen to, pretty sure that series introduced me to Del, and thanks for that :D. Missing Rez though :P
  • Turkeyboy094 - November 8, 2011 8:12 a.m.

CHARLIE! You forgot Bobby Darin! He has the whole theme for the Bioshock cultural music!
  • thrash4odin - November 8, 2011 7:17 a.m.

Long has heavy metal been a music genre stereotyped by mainstream music fans and trendy music fans. Brutal Legend should have been higher on the list. Of course Brutal Legend has it's flaws in the soundtrack. Little to no real extreme heavy metal (Deicide, Nile, Immortal, Mayhem, Emperor) and no prog/jazz/avant-garde metal metal to show how intelligent heavy metal is (Dream Theater, Sigh, Ephel Duath, Symphony X, Mr. Bungle). It was also missing Iron Maiden..... IRON MAIDEN! And Dio and Danzig. However I was happy it mocked the nu metal that people think heavy metal is. F-Zero X, Doom I&II and Guilty Gear had awesome metal soundtracks too.
  • psycho ninja 4 - November 8, 2011 5:12 a.m.

I still play THPS 4 on my mac mostly just for the awesome soundtrack
  • sleepyMexican45 - November 8, 2011 5:04 a.m.

Metroid Prime: A groundbreaking masterclass in atmospheric, evocative electronic scores.
  • ShortFuse - November 8, 2011 4:10 a.m.

Errr..... REZ HD for the pounding techno....All about the Berghain, baby! Now I'm munching E's like they are sweets and going to illegal raves. Ok, not really. But in all seriousness, REZ HD is where it's at!
  • richardr - November 8, 2011 2:01 a.m.

Man, this article is awesome. The Fallout music is a good nod too. The song choices and the atmosphere they created were pitch perfect, and after NV, I was singing 'Blue Moon' for... well, I still do. Bioshock choices too were inspired. Is this the best article written here? I think so.
  • Furyspittles - November 8, 2011 1:39 a.m.

I think the thing that makes these songs so good is the memories that come with each one. Countless fun and great times are behind each track, and even if they aren't the greatest songs, it's makes them very easy to listen to.
  • avantguardian - November 8, 2011 1:09 a.m.

bonus to gta for reminding me how awesome "(keep feeling) fascination" by the human league is;)
  • avantguardian - November 8, 2011 1:06 a.m.

damn grimm, you just gave me a serious nostalgic chill...punk o'rama! oh skate punk, what happened? lagawagon got a lot of flak for being a nofx ripoff, but they were one of the more technical punk outfits. i would have to agree with THPS. if for no other reason than the variety, and willingness to find the good sh*t. off the top of my head i can think of bad religion, aesop rock, quasimoto, refused, mastodon, mr. lif, cannibal ox, public enemy, haiku d'etat, people under the stairs, etc. awesome, just awesome.
  • J-spit - November 8, 2011 12:47 a.m.

I remember buying THPS4 and hearing "Mass Appeal". I knew the instrumental well, but didn't know the name of the song. Thanks Neversoft!