Topics

Top 7

• Frieza - July 15, 2013 7:50 p.m.

Wow. Looking back on it all, I've realised that I've been a (small) part of the history of gaming. Well, I didn't play a part per say, but I've seen it all happen. I supported the franchises I loved and watched them grow, as well as see new games come out of no where and suddenly become classics. I find it fascinating how I've been alive to see such monumental years of video game history unfold before my eyes. It makes me proud to be a gamer.
  • Fox_Mulder - July 16, 2013 4:19 p.m.

If you've played games - you're a part of the history.
  • tehtimeisnow - July 15, 2013 5:51 p.m.

1996 was great. Even though I only had 1 game for my N64 for a long time (Mario), it's one of my favorite games of all time. I've reached 120 stars 4 times total, and that's the only game I've actually wanted to complete multiple times.
  • talleyXIV - July 16, 2013 3:02 a.m.

Woah woah woah, are you sure it wasn't the year they released the iPod? A legit comment from you?
  • GoldenEagle1476 - July 15, 2013 4:34 p.m.

Good list. Even though I don't agree with '98 being the top year, I'm happy to see that 1994, 2004, and 2011 all made the list.
  • Swedish_Chef - July 15, 2013 3:13 p.m.

1994 is still my favourite year in gaming. 2001 isn't on the list but it deserves some mad respect as well, too many good games.
  • G0523 - July 15, 2013 4:56 p.m.

Agreed! 2001 was insane and the year where we had EIGHT different systems! Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, Xbox, and Dreamcast!
  • GenderBender_9000 - July 15, 2013 3:06 p.m.

Wasn't this done already?
  • g1rldraco7 - July 15, 2013 2:54 p.m.

1998 Ocarina of Time, best year ever, this top 7 rocks!!!!!!!
  • Tranquilbez34 - July 15, 2013 2:19 p.m.

I 100% agree with this Top 7, I would even add 2002, 2003, 2009 and 2010 to the list
  • Xtapolapopotamus - July 15, 2013 2:08 p.m.

What about 2009?! Uncharted 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 alone are enough to make a spot! I'm too lazy/lacking in a wiki page to look up what else came out that year but, yeah! Those games kicked arse!
  • loomis22 - July 15, 2013 1:55 p.m.

1998 was a good year indeed.
  • profile0000 - July 15, 2013 1:37 p.m.

Holy crap. Totally forgot how great 2011 was. So many excellent games.
  • rainn'sgaydar - July 15, 2013 1:16 p.m.

2011 was the year I returned to gaming, and I don't think I realized until shortly after the fact just how good of a year it was. Looking back, what a fun year it was! Especially for me, because not only did I get play all the 2011 greatness, but I got to catch up on the previous 4 years of missed greatness. I really owe my thanks to 2011's lineup and the fine editors of GR past for my return to a first love.
  • ObliqueZombie - July 15, 2013 1:09 p.m.

I thought I was the only one who thought of 2011 as this amazing year... but good to see I wasn't! BioShock was the game that got me into heavily checking video game news, so I'm thankful for that. I wish I was old enough to vividly remember all the other years, but 1996 and 1997 stick out a bit for me.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - July 15, 2013 11:47 a.m.

For a good chunk of 2011 I thought it was going to be the year to beat. It might have been, but too many of the big games ended up disappointing me, namely Saint's Row The Third, Uncharted 3, and most of all Skyward Sword. I really loved Arkham City and Skyrim though.
  • antiAntag0nist - July 15, 2013 11:42 a.m.

Ah 2004, what a great year for games. Tony Hawk's Underground 2 came out that year as well and it was great entry in the series.
  • StrayGator - July 15, 2013 11:41 a.m.

www.gamesradar.com/the-ten-greatest-years-in-videogame-history/
  • J-Fid - July 15, 2013 2:29 p.m.

Clearly, I could not have been the only one to remember that.
  • shawksta - July 15, 2013 11:22 a.m.

Great list. It mightve varied due to the type of gamers but it still hit the nail. This year was alright, surprised 2010 wasnt here but technically 2011 was better.