• FoxdenRacing - November 23, 2010 9:29 p.m.

I stand corrected; after re-researching (originally citing a newspaper article from a year or more back), it seems they've abandoned some applications of Cell, but others live on.
  • killerrpgfan - November 23, 2010 9:29 p.m.

I have to say, it is probably just me, but I really like how the PS3 has so many updates. I went from having a xbox only for.... 3 years I think, then i got a PS3, and i really like the updates. I think it just goes to show how much Sony loves us haha But like i said it is probably just me.
  • shadowreaper72 - November 23, 2010 9:28 p.m.

My 360 rrod me 5 times. Fuck you Microsoft!
  • FoxdenRacing - November 23, 2010 9:26 p.m.

Slight correction: PowerPC-based cores. Yes, I know their designation is 'Cell', but Cell is was an attempted evolution from one-size-fits-all processors to multiple specialized cores. Since IBM had a major stake in it...including the production...they used PowerPC as a base to start from. IBM has since abandoned it as 'an interesting...but ultimately failed...experiment'; I don't see it coming back for next generation.
  • kuroda - November 23, 2010 9:24 p.m.

Remember Sony saying that rumble was last gen, that the SIXAXIS was the shiznit? I thought it would be on this list for sure.
  • chriszewski - November 23, 2010 9:20 p.m.

Oh Too Human, what you could have been. I still have my copy.
  • FoxdenRacing - November 23, 2010 9:19 p.m.

I'm wondering if the RROD could've been much less of a disaster had two things happened: A) MS owned up right away, rather than dragging their feet for months. B) They didn't send *a slight tweak to the launch-day board almost guaranteed to die within 12 months* out of the repair center. The Opus boards were a Xenon/Zephyr/Falcon b****rd child with all of Xenon's failure points intact, Zephyr's GPU cooler (which like the goggles, did nothing), and Falcon's processor. They shipped out lemons to replace lemons, and turned a serious problem into a total catastrophe. Had they shipped true Falcons instead, the problem would've been much less...Falcons weren't impervious, but were a huge step up from Xenon/Zephyr. (RROD didn't mostly disappear until Jasper, which finally addressed the GPU heat problem by replacing it entirely with the smaller-die one) And of course the fabled C) Had the executives in charge listened to the engineers and permitted more testing time, rather than being h*llbent on beating Sony to market and forcing a not-fully-tested product out the door. They shot themselves in the foot, then Sony laughed all the way to the bank when they pushed theirs back...not only to get more testing time themselves [at the time of Xbox 360 launch, prototype PS3s suffered massive heat problems as well. 7 PowerPC cores on one chip, heat problems? I *never would have guessed*...pardon the sarcasm], as well as allow gamers to save up a chunk of change for a second console. Hopefully they learn for next generation. And double hopefully, they don't half-*ss the backwards compatibility, then give up halfway through.
  • accidentprone88 - November 23, 2010 9:09 p.m.

I just saw "in no particular order" in the opening paragraph. Guess you can add me to the list, then. My bad.
  • accidentprone88 - November 23, 2010 9:07 p.m.

lulwut? RRoD is hands-down #1. How are some failed games and too-long status updates worse than an entire console shitting the bed?
  • suicidali - November 23, 2010 9:07 p.m.

I'm surprised Haze didn't get a mention...
  • Letter11 - November 23, 2010 9:06 p.m.

I love the mash up pic of the red rings and the death star. It blows me away how unreliable the hardware of this generation is. I've had both a ps3 and a 360 die on me. And my Sega Saturn, which has been buried under junk the garage for years...still works.
  • Redeater - November 23, 2010 9:05 p.m.

@Nin10DOH Yes!! I still cannot understand how Sonic 4 has gotten such high reviews! I was listening to talkradar today and Brett was voicing his disgust with that game which made me feel happy at least one other person hated it as much as i did. When you ship a game where a major gameplay mechanic is broken (homing attack) said game should not get above a 5!
  • Chevapravatdumrong - November 23, 2010 9:04 p.m.

I don't get how APB could fail when Cops and Crooks was/is one of the best multiplayer options in the market.
  • Nin10DOH - November 23, 2010 8:55 p.m.

So much fail. Also, Sonic the Hedgehog for 360/Ps3. What a joke
  • Redeater - November 23, 2010 8:51 p.m.

The biggest problem I had with Alpha Protocol was that none of your decisions had any impact on the outcome of the game. "Well I'm on a boat now guess I saved the day. Good thing I decided to befriend that goth bodyguard along with _______." Other then that not a bad game.
  • FatherPeterPhiIia - November 23, 2010 8:48 p.m.

i got the blue hotrod for $1 at the .99 cent store
  • reveffect - November 23, 2010 8:45 p.m.

I am guilty of being interested in buying that blue hotrod face plate when the 360 first came out and I am glad I changed my mind because I did not like that $20 price tag for that flimsy piece of crap and I did not know how hard it would be to put those on. I thought you just snap it on or something, not remove the original and fit the new one on. BIG WASTE of MONEY if I have ever seen one.
  • Kahuna707 - November 23, 2010 8:44 p.m.

Phantasy Star Universe Online is an MMO on consoles at the moment.
  • iKOemos - November 23, 2010 8:43 p.m.

Ke$ha is infinitely more annoying than friend codes.
  • yagirlfriendsfavoriterapper - November 23, 2010 8:38 p.m.

#14. These "future-proof" consoles made generation last longer than wanted. Only true gamers will agree.