• HardlyBirdman - August 9, 2010 3:34 p.m.

I never realized how much of a speed junkie I must be, I have and love so many of those games! Extreme G 3 is wonderful though, getting that sonic boom into silence is so rewarding and is just an awesome audio cue for 'in the zone'. Burnout 3's Burning Lap 'levels' are pretty crazy too, you're absolutely right about the increased tension of driving into oncoming traffic (so great), and the incentive to go fast, balanced with the 'payoff' of super-(bitter)sweet crashes made for a pretty addictive challenge. Great article, made my day.
  • Thuperman - August 9, 2010 3:24 p.m.

Has there been an F-Zero game after GX? And if not why the hell not?
  • KnightDehumidifier - August 9, 2010 3:18 p.m.

In Big Rigs: Off Road Racing (deemed worst game of all time by many reviewers/owners of such) shows that you can drive in reverse and go over 10,000 MPH backwards. I haven't seen a driving cab get coated with blood on the inside since I saw old Jr. stop off at the Akron Waffle House and had at least 20 of their specials.
  • Hoody - August 9, 2010 3:17 p.m.

Who the hell is Nigel Mansel
  • ombranox - August 9, 2010 3:17 p.m.

2 billion miles... But you can't apply that, or have anything to contrast it to. Speed at that level would be pointless and boring.
  • Felixthecat - August 9, 2010 3:16 p.m.

I played Extreme G on the N64 all the time. Fucking awesome game. I want another one now :(
  • BillyBrush - August 9, 2010 3:12 p.m.

That's faster than the combined bark (761mph) of a greyhound (45mph) with a hedgehog strapped to each foot (15 x 4 mph), who's running along the world's fastest rollercoaster (128mph) Spectacular maths there..I had the N64 original, and even that i'd say was as fast as the terminal velocity of a greased elephant sliding down a 55 degree ice flow. (451mph)...if you placed that greased elephant on 17 doormice, thus lessening the surface friction, you'd be up to 625mph and extreme G 2...only it wouldn't work because the inherrent weight of the elephant would squash the doormice :O(...the greyhound/hedgehog combo is right on the the limits of theoretical mathematics though...doffs cap, you should work for Mi5
  • Clovin64 - August 9, 2010 3:04 p.m.

I thought that the Sonic game looked fastest to the the untrained eye. Watching that video made me go "WHOAH! MY EYES!"
  • SolarPoweredShitMachine - August 9, 2010 3:01 p.m.

Actually, the bit about Sonic turning blue after breaking the sound barrier was a bit of backstory exclusive to the Fleetway comics (which were awesome). In other words, the Americans might have a hard time understanding where the hell that story came from.
  • LarzimusPrime - August 9, 2010 2:59 p.m.

Someone get Jeremy Clarkson on the phone...
  • Hurricrane - August 9, 2010 2:56 p.m.

No After Burner Climax? sadface
  • JD_Method - August 9, 2010 2:44 p.m.

@db1331 Haha! Agreed. It's bloody hilarious in small doses though.
  • Frosty - August 9, 2010 2:43 p.m.

Ahh Extreme G was the first thing to come to my mind when I saw the article, awesome to see it getting some love. I loved those games.
  • db1331 - August 9, 2010 2:41 p.m.

@JD_Method In theory you could, sure, but it would be impossible for someone to play Big Rigs that long without killing themselves.
  • Samueltehg33k - August 9, 2010 2:39 p.m.

Extreme G I played that on the N64
  • cameronjones - August 9, 2010 2:39 p.m.

F-zero G-X = My favorite racing game ever. And honestly, number one just looks like F-zero on motorcycles.
  • JD_Method - August 9, 2010 2:35 p.m.

There's an even faster game than GT3. It's called Big Rigs and when you reverse, your speed NEVER stops increasing so if you had the patience to hold reverse long enough, in theory you could travel at 4 hundred billion squillion zillions miles per hour.
  • CoryRX8 - August 9, 2010 2:34 p.m.

Who even owns the rights to Extreme G these days? I'd love to see another game in that series. The high-speed sci-fi motorcycle racing genre is criminally underrepresented these days.
  • Wolverine08 - August 9, 2010 2:34 p.m.

WipEout #7? You've clearly gone mad GR. No other game has made me near enough jump out of my seat with adrenaline as WipEout. Well, apart from Silent Hill2, oh and Dead Space, and FEAR, oh and R.....
  • db1331 - August 9, 2010 2:29 p.m.

God I love me some Extreme G. I still remember nearly crapping my pants when I finally brought home the original on the N64. I too would love to see the franchise make a return.