• jackthemenace - July 14, 2011 7:31 p.m.

I've been wanting to play this since I heard you on the Podcast the other week, but just done a quick search online, and it doesn't look like I can get a decent price for the 6-year-old game anywhere. i might check it out in town, but it doesn't look enough to spend £14 on
  • AngryScotsman - July 14, 2011 6:57 p.m.

Anyone who wants to play it: The FEAR Collection is £9.99 on Steam right now.
  • Revolt189 - July 14, 2011 6:15 p.m.

I remember having to play this game in the daylight, or playing it with the lights on. And if I played it at night, I'd have to turn on lights everywhere I went in the house.
  • MrBlond - July 14, 2011 6:03 p.m.

True that this is/was a great game and the AI was one of it's highlights. Just finished off F.E.A.R. 3 (refuse to call it F3AR - awful name) and it actually left me a little empty. Every 40 minutes or so I just had to leave it and have a break and as great as it looked and played I found myself bored, I reckon the story must have been the reason. It feels like it has never progressed at all since the first and sadly the psychological terror was mostly absent too which was a shame as the series could be so much more interesting.
  • NanoElite666 - July 14, 2011 5:46 p.m.

Reading this makes me want to go and play through FEAR again, especially since I now have a computer that can run it on more than the lowest settings. Gotta admit, though, even running it on low some years back, the game still managed to be wonderfully spooky.
  • PistonTwister - July 14, 2011 5:45 p.m.

Great feature Dave, any chance you could take over the appreciation section altogether! Back before I worked up the courage to build my own system, I bought a gaming PC in '05 and FEAR was one game I got it for. Really enjoyable. The mix of some really eerie and unsettling moments with all the balls out action was immense. Still one of my favourite shooters. Thinking I'll reinstall it again now!
  • paul_pastie - July 14, 2011 5:10 p.m.

Brilliant game, especially the slo-mo, but it really did un-nerve me and scare the hell out of me.
  • xenon - July 14, 2011 5:01 p.m.

I must admit I never completed it, but I agree it's a great game. I especially love the enemy AI, it's truly brilliant and it's such an underdeveloped field. The focus on multiplayer and other factors seem to be making AI in games a dying art.
  • Pruman - July 14, 2011 4:51 p.m.

I got this right when it came out, and promptly replayed it every time I upgraded my graphics card until I could run it at max res with max settings. I agree with everything you've said in this article. The enemy AI remains unmatched, and the stark design ensures that even with graphical improvements, the game still looks good today. Some of my favorite moments: -Blowing some poor bastard's head off with the shotgun, which felt like striking them with the hand of God -Pinning a trooper to the wall with that gun that does that -Killing all but one trooper in the area, who'd yell "He wasted the whole squad!" into his radio -Shooting Fettel in a hallucination, only to snap out of it and see that, holy crap, it was really him! -Alma surprising me as I crawled through a vent or climbed down a ladder -Alma showing up near the beginning, blowing up everything and then blowing me out the window -The twist regarding your identity, which I totally was NOT expecting Damn, now I'll have to install it tonight and play it again. Thanks a lot!
  • volrath46656 - July 14, 2011 4:36 p.m.

So glad to see so much love for F.E.A.R. Btw the 360 version will have worse graphics, but an extra gun and some instant action maps (which emphasize everything discussed in the article).
  • d34thly - July 14, 2011 4:09 p.m.

This was literally the last FPS created that was actually fun through and through.I hate the movement pace of EVERY game created after it as they all basically require you to have your pinky finger glued to the shift key just to maintain a non-slow (I'll eventually get there)walking pace.FEAR Combat was fun as hell too and the latest FPS that didn't require exact tactical map exploits to be great at it. I am great at all CoD and Battlefield games but hate the movement speed and the fact that I can win just based on knowing what corners of the map to strafe-jump to prone to kill the whole opposing team. Recently I replayed the whole DOOM franchise (except DOOM3 which was horrible) and remembered how fun FPS games used to be without a hundred contextual things to do, without hours of boring story and without exacting a meticulously timed sonnet of keystrokes to be a lethal killing machine.Just my two cents
  • cobraftw251 - July 14, 2011 3:37 p.m.

FEAR is a great game and it scared the crap out of me. This article was great FEAR defintely deserves some attention... Especially because every FEAR after the original sucked :(
  • Shanetexas - July 14, 2011 3:32 p.m.

This series first entry knocked it out of the park. The sequel was all right at best. And the third...it seems the tank is empty. I like this feature idea.
  • RoeTaKa - July 14, 2011 3:29 p.m.

Totally agree with this. I could go on and on about how amazing this game is, it even has an SDK for you to build your own missions. It was one of the last FPS's to include lean keys which is a huge plus against AI this smart. It's gameplay is so good you'll feel like the game taught you how to be badass at games. It has genuine style with great atmosphere and cinematic music which I think read once won an award, I can't remember. This is a strong opinion but for me FEAR is up there with Goldeneye in terms of how amazingly fun it is to play and it had a strong multiplayer experience especially with FEAR Combat which was free to play long before the games like Quake 3 and TF2 were. Buy this game if you've been waiting for a great FPS game and haven't touched this.
  • Yaro - July 14, 2011 3:01 p.m.

I played the demo of FEAR and it was awesome. I played the full version, and once I found the shotgun, it ceased being scary and it was just another corridor shooter. I was really looking forward to the scary parts, but there was so few of them. It turned me off =(
  • purple_omlet - July 14, 2011 2:57 p.m.

F.E.A.R. is a great game. A tad boring at parts and emotionally draining, but still great.
  • ParanoidAndroid - July 14, 2011 2:46 p.m.

Wish I had a computer that could run this... Is the 360 version worth it or is it a poor port?
  • WarSaint0299 - July 14, 2011 2:43 p.m.

I still havent played it im going to gamestop later today to pick up a copy.
  • bamb0o-stick - July 14, 2011 2:37 p.m.

I loved the first FEAR as well. The second was very formulaic, shooting segments separated by quiet spooky ones. I never bothered with the third game because of how silly the plot seemed. I also enjoyed the first Condemned on PC, but never got a chance to play the second because it wasn't ported.
  • HamsterGutz - July 14, 2011 2:35 p.m.

FEAR was a great game. It was pretty scary and the enemies were actually really smart. Haven't played the others though