We Recommend

• Embolado - January 22, 2010 5:10 p.m.

Who the hell keeps buying the Sim games?
  • Evernight - January 22, 2010 3:56 p.m.

I agree with everything - even GTA3 as #1 - but Bioshock? Really? Not only does it ripoff System Shock like you said, but it really didn't do anything we hadn't seen before with a fresh coat of paint. Also - I am pretty sure FO3 got its inspiration from Morrowind/Oblivion and the original FO - not from Bioshock. Don't get me wrong - Bioshock was great - but not even close to a top 20 most important. AND WHERE IN THE HELL IS DIABLO 2? Other than WoW and GTA - find me another game on this list that has been copied like Diablo 2.
  • farsided - January 22, 2010 2:50 p.m.

boo hiss! Halo:CE was far more important than Halo 2
  • gamesradar_george1 - January 22, 2010 9:49 a.m.

Just to remind everybody - this is a list of 'important' games, not the best, which would be an entirely different list. That's why Wii FYI: It took us the best part of three weeks to finally agree on this list, between 12 editors. Every entry was pored over and we changed the running order multiple times. @crumbdunky Thanks for you epic post. We considered all the Metal Gear Solid games of the decade (the PSone game was released in 1998 so didn't qualify) and the one that came out as most influential and thus, most important, was MGS2. Of course, we didn't expect everyone to agree with us - that's what makes this kind of feature so much fun...
  • Nupetarian - January 22, 2010 2:12 a.m.

Good list!
  • Defguru7777 - January 22, 2010 2:02 a.m.

@twewy13 It was the first console game to have truly great online multiplayer. Halo 1 probably didn't do anything to make it "revolutionary." It was still a great game.
  • gopikmin - January 22, 2010 2:02 a.m.

@oufour This is the most important games of the decade, not best. These are the games that revolutionized the industry. I feel WoW should be lower ,but that is because i have not played it much.
  • twewy13 - January 22, 2010 1:51 a.m.

why halo 2 and not 1?
  • Cyberninja - January 22, 2010 1:20 a.m.

they do have a point about wii sports oufour with out wii sports i dont think the gaming market would have made so much money recently that plus its more fun for everyone i cant stand alot of fps like halo because of all the children trying to curse you out online
  • JustTheBoBreaker - January 22, 2010 1:18 a.m.

I still can't believe Gran Turismo is that high on the list. Maybe it's just because i didn't really play it,that I don't see why it's so important.
  • StrayGator - January 22, 2010 1:13 a.m.

A Crack in Time owes quite a bit to braid, I believe.
  • crumbdunky - January 22, 2010 12:58 a.m.

U2 wasn't the firs "killer app" for PS3 though, was it? That would go to a game you cruelly ignore here to include the WEAKEST in it's series just to be awkward(MGS2 more important than ANY of the others? You, my ddar sirs, are having a woolly!)and though an apparent desire to look like you haven't played any other games made by kojima. Seriously, I'd say the two best MGS were the last two(hard to knock MGS itself as time has been cruel on it's lookms and we can only imagine the greatness of it today but as a dev who leans so heavily on he available tech i'd say that 3 and 4 go way beyond the first two games and the second was easily the weakest of all four. I'd have stuck MGS4 in the top three, actually, as the best game in the most consistently great series ever committed to consoles.The achievements in tying up the story(and one so very convoluted too!)were manifold and done with a genuine flair for undertanding that the medium ISN'T the same as the films he loves so much. He paces even the ripest dialogue fuelled cutscene indulgences better than anyone else(seriously, we fans know the talky goes too far but it's the pace that fits a games length rather than pretending to cater to a two hour movie frame)has even tried. Interactive movie! The fools cried. We played the game and found something we never thought we would:a game brave and big and bold enough to both stand up to it's illustrious past AND to tie up the myriad wonky looking loose ends that Koj had woven in to the fabric of gaming itself. I didn't think he could top the mastery of MGS3 but Patriots did everything right for me and, though a lot of MG fans will argue otherwise, I take it as his crowning, gaming glory. Seriously, to ignore the things he managed with such amazing style AND anal attention to detail AND in creating some more classic boss battles and characters isn't a great move, imho. The gameplay also gave us iconic moments like the microwave "X" button ordeal where you battle both the game and aging Snakes increasing fragility(a metaphor, also, for mans struggle against what he himself has done to, and wioth, the planet earth itself?)and the sun drenched battle with Liquid harking back to fighting games past. Yes, it had cutscenes that went on too long with too many words BUT the cutscenes were, generally, doing a sterling job of one of the stiffest tasks in gaming-reigning in and wrapping up 20 years of Metal Gear and Hideo's imagination. When you add in the slickest gameplay the series has seen(and I played it as a stealth game from the start nd you have NOT finished without that Big Boss emblem!-so no accustaion that it has become "just an action game" around me thankyou!), amazing , console leading gfx, great script and voice work and yet more tjhoughtful, action heavy boss battl;es with a handful of fraught but brilliant set pieces you have both one of the best, most perfect games ever made and also one of the best tales ever told by the medium of gaming. It's the bringing together of every loose strand of a story as complex as any you'll find anywhere that sits atop the masterful hgame Kojima made in MGS4 like the proudest, sweetest cherry ever plucked from God's own cherry tree. Masterpiece is an overused word but MGS4 fits the hill just as much as any game on your list and a lot more than most. I tshould, at the very least, be in there somewhere.
  • flare149 - January 22, 2010 12:37 a.m.

Good article, although I think God of War should get an honorable mention
  • oufour - January 22, 2010 12:32 a.m.

um... why the fuck is wii sports AHEAD of halo 2 and half life 2? on that thought, why the fuck is on their in the first place?
  • nik41507 - January 21, 2010 11:51 p.m.

No No No NO No No I'd say Red Alert 2 influenced RTS. With its amazing cutscenes and gameplay NOOOO THERES AN AD-BOT NOOOOOO
  • GameManiac - January 21, 2010 11:49 p.m.

I can still remember the day I got Gran Turismo 3 and was blown away at how real the graphics were. Great article! I couldn't agree more with many of these games.
  • RebornKusabi - January 21, 2010 11:18 p.m.

...and when did we get an Ad-Bot (hey003) on this site? Forgive my limited IT schooling (I'm halfway to getting my degree lol), but isn't the reCAPTCHA utility supposed to fight against that? Just curious. reCAPTCHA-godly at (...at what?)
  • RebornKusabi - January 21, 2010 11:12 p.m.

For the people that are "confused" or "missed something", they basically said in the first damn paragraph that this is a text version (notice the '-text edition' added to the title?) of their previous article (That being "The 20 most important games of the decade"). Stay in school kids! Reading comprehension will get you through your adult life ; )
  • Yeager1122 - January 21, 2010 10:45 p.m.

Did i miss something why did you decide to put up something you already did?
  • hey003 - January 21, 2010 10:41 p.m.

∧_∧WELCOM TO: http://www.wowhotsale.com boot.ugg.jacket.jeans.sweart. (UGG) jordan air max oakland dunks $39; Christan Audigier BIKINI JACKET $30; gstar coogi evisu true jeans $35-39; coach chanel gucci LV handbags $36; Welcome you to visit thanks http://www.wowhotsale.com (*^_^*)