Topics

digital sales

• Shayz - November 21, 2013 6:41 a.m.

I'm pretty sure they do this so that they can sell more copies by tricking people into thinking they're putting a game on sale....when really they're not losing any money at all. For instance, saying 25% off and making the game $45 instead of $60. Meh, I just use Glyde.com I recently sold two games and got Pikmin 3 for $5. It was selling for $35 in good condition, $40 excellent. You can't get a deal like that anywhere.
  • Talvari - November 21, 2013 6:13 a.m.

Maann, upwards of £50-55 for a digital download of a game. I haven't checked digital prices in forever as I don't really do it that often (One of those people that will collect physical copies until I can't anymore), but dang that's a lot of money for a vidya game o.o
  • antiAntag0nist - November 21, 2013 5:53 a.m.

Call me optimistic (or naïve), but I'm sure Microsoft and Sony will get their digital pricing sorted out as time goes on. If they want people to pursue a mostly digital game library, they will have to offer an incentive to do so; a cheaper price is the best option. Having recently getting a PC that can play games, I have experienced the awesomeness of Steam and all of its sales. A similar pricing scheme to Steam is something Sony and MS should consider sooner rather then later.
  • GR_AndyHartup - November 21, 2013 5:56 a.m.

Love your optimism! Microsoft and Sony have had years (most of last-gen) to sort their digital pricing. They should be using their knowledge now, in the new generation, to sort digital game prices on console. But it seems they want to keep charging ludicrous prices...
  • mafyooz - November 21, 2013 6:53 a.m.

You're right, they should be using their knowledge to do something about pricing but as long as people are willing to be gouged on digital sales (and plenty of people seem to be), and as long as neither network allows for any competition, Sony and Microsoft will happily carry on selling them at outrageous prices. Forget launch titles, tech specs and exclusives, I think if either of them does bring it's digital service into anything approaching parity with what is available on PC, they will be the "winners" of that generation, at least until the other is forced to follow suit.
  • GR_AndyHartup - November 21, 2013 6:59 a.m.

I think you're spot on with that argument. Whichever console maker has the balls to sell digital games at a lower price will really reap the benefits and - as you rightly say - it could be the thing that decides who 'wins' the new generation.