Topics

commentary

• Shigeruken - November 11, 2013 6:17 p.m.

The more I hear about these consoles, the worse they seem. Every single announcement is either ridiculous or disappointing.
  • BladedFalcon - November 11, 2013 7:45 p.m.

Just to be clear, these new terms of service apply to ALL of Playstation products, including the PS2, PS3, PSP and PS Vita, it isn't exclusive to the PS4. All in all, it doesn't seem to be a big deal anyway... yet.
  • Shigeruken - November 11, 2013 8:49 p.m.

Yeah, but I sort of just wanted to make a statement about my general disappointment in Sony and Microsoft :D
  • BladedFalcon - November 11, 2013 9:45 p.m.

Fair enough ^^ To be honest, I'm not very impressed either. Which adds to my resolution of not getting either console any time soon :P
  • TurkeyOnRye - November 12, 2013 6:42 a.m.

I didn't plan on getting one for a while either.... then I went and joined a conga line for the X1. If I'm getting one this early in the console life, which means it's probably guaranteed to fail... it'd better be damn near free. I don't understand how people just up and buy a new console whenever one dies. Reading the internet, it seems like most people are on their second or third 360 and/or PS3.
  • Eightboll812 - November 12, 2013 10:14 a.m.

Part of the reason for this, and to be a little bit fair to MS and Sony, it was the first console generation that had a big cooling problem to solve. Most of the issues with PS3's (the so called YLOD) dying are early models where the thermal paste has dried out and stopped conducting heat between the heat spreader and the copper coil/fan assembly. I'm a little less familiar with RROD causes, but I assume those are related to cooling as well, from all the after-market cooling products I see for 360 sold along side PS3 cooling solutions. Later models don't seem to have the same issues because the processors themselves don't generate as much heat, and I'm assuming Sony/MS have learned from some of their mistakes on the cooling side.
  • TurkeyOnRye - November 12, 2013 11:45 a.m.

No, I get that. What I mean is... how do people afford it?
  • Eightboll812 - November 12, 2013 12:51 p.m.

Not easily. It depends on priorities I guess. I guess if you already have a monthly budget for games, you can use that money and do without new games for a few months.
  • Shigeruken - November 13, 2013 10:34 p.m.

In New Zealand we have the consumer guarantees act, meaning that if a something dies before it's reasonable lifespan the retailer replaces it and the manufacturer often compensates them. So even though I went through four rrod's I only had to pay for one, (and that was because mine died just before Halo 3 and I couldn't wait for repair)
  • brickman409 - November 11, 2013 6:12 p.m.

I think the only time Sony or Microsoft should be allowed to monitor people's private stuff like video chat, text chat etc, is when someone is accused/flagged for offensive behavior. Kind of like how the government needs a warrant to search people's homes.
  • GOD - November 11, 2013 4:46 p.m.

Somehow I find "We reserve the right to" a lot more respectful of me as a consumer than, "You should not expect any level of privacy".... but maybe that's just me.
  • Lurkero - November 11, 2013 3:51 p.m.

The other day I visited Target.com Guess what I see in my Google Ads now: Target ads! Not a coincidence at all. I don't think Sony has anything nefarious planned. They just want advertising dollars. As many as they can get with as many strategies they think work.
  • PhantomPineapple - November 11, 2013 2:58 p.m.

With the thousands of crimes being committed everyday, do you really think anyone is watching this closely enough to do anything? As far as I am concerned they're just listening in for advertising purposes. Not much different from them looking at your Google searches. Or Amazon using your purchase history to show you similar products.. If I want something to be private, I handle it face to face, the old fashioned way. Pure and simple. If I'm communicating at all, then technically I want my information to be public anyhow, because I just told someone my private information who is not me...
  • Eightboll812 - November 11, 2013 2:37 p.m.

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but a lot of this is driven by laws and governments. If all they did was give you a console and software that allows you access to the Internet, it would be one thing to expect they aren't monitoring anything when you find a web-based chat program and setup a P2P session. But they are offering server based communication via their servers. And if they said, "Everything is private, so come use us to plan your next terrorist attack" which is essentially what they would be saying if they gave any illusion to your communications being strictly guaranteed to be private, then you can quickly see why this would never be tolerated. I'm not saying I'm ok with loss of privacy. What I'm saying is, I do not expect a "facilitated" communication to have any guarantee of privacy. If I want a private chat, I have to go out of my way to find a P2P system that is encrypted, and even then, I'm not so sure it can't be "wiretapped" by the government. What I do expect is that Sony or MS cannot and will not make use of my communications for their own benefit., and that there isn't an employee who is able to sift through these records just because they want to. If they have to keep a record for legal compliance, well, I lost that battle back when the law was passed requiring Sony/MS to keep a record.
  • Eightboll812 - November 11, 2013 2:38 p.m.

That was also a reply to macrm32.... lol.
  • GenderBender_9000 - November 11, 2013 2:34 p.m.

No one is forcing you to buy a new video game console. If your privacy is that important to you, than don't buy one.
  • GenderBender_9000 - November 11, 2013 2:36 p.m.

Oops that was meant to be a reply to "macrm32"
  • BladedFalcon - November 11, 2013 2:34 p.m.

Eh, it's annoying, but what the heck is one supposed to expect? My only real problem with this is that they basically gives them Carte Blanche to eventually do what the Xbone wanted to do at first. But if that came to pass, hopefully the customers themselves will make them regret doing that.
  • Eightboll812 - November 11, 2013 2:47 p.m.

The one difference there, is that I recall it being reported that MS specifically stated info gathered via Kinect can be used my MS for marketing purposes and that you had to go find a setting buried in the menus to opt out of this. For me it all comes down to how the information is used, not whether it is gathered or not. I know both meta data and data is being collected all the time. But I do believe we have a right to know and direct how a *company* or their business partners will use that data. The government issue is another matter that we have to take up elsewhere if we want any change. I will have to read and see if Sony seems to be excluding themselves from any "responsibility" for their own abuse or misuse of my information, before a I draw any conclusions here.
  • BladedFalcon - November 11, 2013 3:33 p.m.

Yeah, very true. You can bet they are covering their asses as much as they can though. The PS3 cycle showed Sony how bad it can hurt to not have your legal mumbo jumbo straight. Which is also why I am hoping they'll be smart enough to not try screwing with the customer by any of these means. It may have been three years agot, but Sony better not have forgotten all the shit they got into for being so aggressive with the whole PS3 Jailbreak guy and associates.
  • Moondoggie1157 - November 11, 2013 2:31 p.m.

Get off Facebook, delete your twitter account and drown your cell phone... Then, you can bitch about invasion of privacy. Bring on PS4! BOOYA
  • GiovaniAbel - November 11, 2013 1:59 p.m.

I have just one thing to say: LONG LIFE TO THE COMPUTER!
  • BladedFalcon - November 11, 2013 2:30 p.m.

If you honestly think your computer isn't being monitored by several hundreds programs already, i envy your naivety.
  • Child Of Death - November 11, 2013 7:38 p.m.

LOL You have less privacy on a computer than you do on consoles.
  • winner2 - November 11, 2013 8:43 p.m.

You should really think about what a computer is as well as the internet, and I mean think as hard as you need to.