Topics

DLC

• Travia220 - November 5, 2012 10:04 a.m.

I would assume for the "Dragon Mount" *if we get one* that it will only work in the new area being added. The main continent is made for Dragon Mounts and they would have to completely redo most of the region. So I wouldn't get to excited. They also >can't< fix the main region for Dragon Mounts on consoles because of the additional memory load it would take to add the cities into the main area. Plus all the shortcuts developers take when they don't play for such things like "Flying" mounts. Alternatively, Bethesda will be lazy asses and not care that cities are just voids on the map. It wouldn't shock me. Lastly, this doesn't really mean players will get a mount. It could just very well mean that you get a temporary dragon mount to work together with to complete the main objective of the story. The best thing about this "Expansion" is that it takes place in Solstheim a landmass in Morrowind. Although it feels like Bethesda isn't very consistent with their expansions and more like wanting to pander to people who just want random garbage.
  • Aarononymous - November 5, 2012 11:44 a.m.

The cities aren't voids on the map. They're just basic models with low-res textures that look fine from far away. Which is why you can see Solitude from above or the Cloud District of Whiterun from the surrounding countryside. Considering you can turn off gravity on the console and "fly" around the map already I don't see what your point is. Also, Solstheim is an area a lot of players have been asking to revisit.
  • Travia220 - November 5, 2012 12:09 p.m.

Using the console and actually making something part of the gameplay mechanics are two different thing. The console is a debugging feature for PC Gamers and thus not actually part of the gameplay. Yes, it can be used to cheat and do fun thing. That doesn't change the fact it's a debugging tool. You are correct on the models and low res textures. However, afaik, the cities in the world map have no collision thus you fall through the world map. Hence "Void." The thing it all comes down to is how much effort Bethesda wants to put into the expansion. That is even if you do get a flying mount. Although do be aware that the low res models and textures are not "Sufficient" and would look terrible for a product people would pay for. They would have to be redone if they introduced a flying mount. There are also plenty of areas full of ugly that are typically inaccessible to people by normal means.
  • Child Of Death - November 5, 2012 12:38 p.m.

Well since you are obviously such a experienced game designer MR.Travia what would you do different? I mean obviously you must have some grand ideas if you wrote entire paragraphs full of bullshit.
  • ZeeCaptain - November 7, 2012 1:34 a.m.

I'm sorry but is everyone so dumbfounded by these terms like "void", if you were to jump outside the walls of a city then you have a chance of falling through the floor due to the fact to keep the game running smoother they decided it was a good idea to keep the game in separate areas so it won't run like shit. What Travia is referring to is that if you were on a dragon mount the entire terrain of the main world would be as if you were using no clip mode where one would go through otherwise solid objects so you could see the problem, to fix that they would need to either make a separate plain were one rides the dragon but then how would you land where you want, the other way would be to make the entire game use the world map as a whole and not segments you travel to, they have a mod like this for the pc but it still makes the game run a little slower, so that isn't much of an option either. This isn't some inside info it's just me being pessimistic and saying it sounds too good to be true.
  • ZeeCaptain - November 7, 2012 1:43 a.m.

So to be clear if they were to keep the game how it is right now, and simply add dragon mounts then while riding said mount then cities that are walled off like Riften or Whiterun would be low res representations that you could fly right through and fall into the "void" because they are not solid from above.
  • ObliqueZombie - November 5, 2012 9:17 a.m.

As excited as I am for dragon mounts, I hope there's simply a lot of content--from vast new areas, to a multitude of weapons and armor sets. As much as I liked Dawnguard, it was lacking in the "new things to find and play around with" department.
  • SentientSquidMachine - November 5, 2012 8:39 a.m.

Now THAT deserves my money. will be blowing the figurative dust off of skyrim in January.
  • J-spit - November 5, 2012 8:23 a.m.

$20? This, along with the game itself, can wait.
  • garnsr - November 5, 2012 8:22 a.m.

I'm not sure I really want to go back to Skyrim on PS3, anyway. I had a bug that kept me from getting one of the Daedric items, that kept me fom getting the platinum, that really pissed me off. And I don't know if I've ever really enjoyed jumping back in for DLC, playing as I play the game the first time is fine, but going back is never very satisfying, because you rcan eally compare the cost versus what you got.
  • Boonehams - November 5, 2012 8:14 a.m.

Oh goody. More DLC that's not coming to PS3.
  • db1331 - November 5, 2012 8:11 a.m.

Dragon mounts seem cool on paper, but has anyone ever toggled the free flying camera and flown up just a little? Things get ugly, and quick, even running maxed out on a PC. It's still a great feature, I'll just be interested to see how/if they work around that.