Topics

editorial

• shawksta - December 14, 2012 9:24 p.m.

interesting article but traditional RPG's will still be around, especially when Japan is concerned and a game is just slapped a system
  • ZuzuPachulia - December 14, 2012 7:48 p.m.

Sticking RPG elements into random games is just the standard now-a-days. People just get huge boners of leveling up and stuff so they just keep playing.
  • oshunanat - December 14, 2012 7:48 p.m.

I hadn't thought of that - and it's an excellent point! That said, I still like older-school turn-based RPG games (I especially miss the Shadow Hearts series) and wouldn't mind seeing more of them.
  • taokaka - December 14, 2012 5:48 p.m.

"In fact, some of the best true RPGs to come out this year are actually remakes or localizations from years past." You speak as if localizing a game with more words than humanly conceivable is an easy, quick and cheap task that will allow a JRPG to be released worldwide simultaneously. Anyway at the rate things are going I don't expect traditional rpgs to stop anytime soon.
  • Redeater - December 14, 2012 5:10 p.m.

....every single RPG on android and IOS.
  • profile0000 - December 17, 2012 12:08 p.m.

...oh my god. Yes.
  • ObliqueZombie - December 14, 2012 5:07 p.m.

Wow. I never thought of that, actually. Maybe that's why I can't play turn-based RPGs ("turn-based" in this case meaning Final Fantasy), because I'm already getting my RPG on in every damn game I play. Great article, Cooper. Awesome stuff.
  • hestar - December 14, 2012 4:59 p.m.

As long as games like Xenoblade,Persona 4,final fantasy (yes I liked 13 and 13-2 :P) tales keep coming out,I think traditional rpgs will be still be around :)
  • knightnettie - December 14, 2012 5:45 p.m.

Amen to that.
  • IRIsH - December 14, 2012 4:35 p.m.

IGN said the same thing like 2 days ago
  • Cyberninja - December 14, 2012 4:24 p.m.

No the pure RPG will never die, just think of next year we are already getting Ni no Kuni, FE:A, and LR:FF13, and that's just the stuff outside of Japan, which just got Bravely Default(which I want in U.S.). So the pure RPG is in no danger even if everything uses it as an inspiration.
  • gopikmin - December 14, 2012 5:52 p.m.

There is also Denpa Men 2, Etrian Odyssey 4, Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory, Kingdom Hearts 1.5, Dark Souls 2, Dragon's Crown, Elder Scroll Online, Unchained Blades, South Park: Stick of Truth, Tales of Xillia, Wasteland 2, Dead State, Dead Island: Riptide. Plus Crimson Shroud just came out for US. There are plenty of true RPGs though they have shifted more to handhelds and downloads