Topics

Steam Valve

• hamdrew - July 13, 2010 5:32 p.m.

I'm recently converting from console to PC gaming, I've just got to wait for some money to fall into my hands :) Also, I'm having a really hard time getting adjusted to the "WASD" keys to move around. Any tips to get used to it???
  • loonyman978 - July 13, 2010 5:36 p.m.

My PC struggles with Civilization 4. I would like to be a PC gamer but ive no where near the funds of tech no-how :(
  • LizarDAZZLE - July 13, 2010 5:38 p.m.

@GamesRadarDavidHoughton I hope you see this but you should probably right-click on HL2 and click on proporties, then defragment it (hell, defrag you're whole computor) and VERIFY GAME CACHE FILES! ALWAYS do this if you don't play something in a long while AND when you install a game! I bought Bioshock 2 during this sale and The game didn't work because I DIDN'T VERIFY the GAME CACHE FILES. There were 130 MBs of files that the Install didn't install! *nerd rage - over*
  • db1331 - July 13, 2010 5:39 p.m.

hamdrew- Just stick with it and it will soon become second nature. I hate myself for recommending this, because it drives me absolutely crazy, but I have a friend who uses the arrow keys instead of WASD. Maybe it would be easier for you to start off learning that way, since there are no other keys nearby to distract you. Then once you get comfortable with the arrow keys, you can just imagine "W" as "Up", "A" as "Left", etc.
  • CH3BURASHKA - July 13, 2010 6:11 p.m.

I would 'return' to PC gaming, but I'm short on cash at the moment. Why must the economy crash when it's most inconvenient for me!
  • JohnnyMaverik - July 13, 2010 6:13 p.m.

Welcome home brother... *wipes away a small tear* I recommend you play Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines once you have your source powered game issues sorted (it was the first game ever released using the engine... and it shows) if you haven't already. Buggy as hell but with a couple of patches... 12 in total, it will be... well less buggy, but hey you're on a pc now, buggy is a type of personality rather than a solid barrier.
  • lilspooky - July 13, 2010 6:24 p.m.

Your poor PC cant play HL2. poor little guy. I love my PC, i would gladly sell all my consoles to keep my PC kicking.
  • mdhammer - July 13, 2010 6:30 p.m.

i had the same thing happen to me with my pc from 2005.
  • Ultima - July 13, 2010 6:54 p.m.

Hi Hamdrew, I got myself a gaming keyboard with the keys slightly curved in a more natural hand position and it makes a massive difference, aswell as stopping aching finger sundrome when playing for hours on end. There are loads about so it dosent have to be expensive, I cant recommend it enough. Welcome to the world of PC gaming, you will never look back! (exceot after spending 3 days getting the f**king thing to work, maybe)
  • crumbdunky - July 13, 2010 7:06 p.m.

I love my PC gaming but to be really honest(and I'm going to get crucified for this even though it's just an OPINION-it's right, naturally, but it's till an opinion)the one thing you found so exciting is the one thing that I no longer use(if I don't have to)even though it puts me at a massive disadvantage in multiplayer shooters:I no longer like using a mouse. Now, don't call me mad but , to me, they're the reason I usually play on line on console these days. PC just doesn't feel as even a playing field with people painting out scenery, highlighting enemies, everyone having different tech and the advantages that can bring, everyone also enters into the "arms race " of the ever improving gaming mouse/key set ups etc, etc and to me with most folk using the same gear, down to the controller by and large, on console it just seems a more true test of skill to me-that's all. However, I'd go further and say that my mouse set up is just TOO good. i'm too good with it and I can do things at a TOTALLY unrealistic pace and it kills the immersion to me-not to mention playing on two separate planes often just feels, IDK, a bit daft. I've ALWAYS gamed on PC and ALWAYS(til last year) used a mouse and keyboard because I was a bit of a "win baby" and wanted any edge I could get(a lot of my PC gamer mates HATE me for this!)but as a true, fair test of skill it really doesn't feel as good as Live or PSN. Christ, I don't even use a mouse now for co-op like L4D(though playing that on the 360 feels like the biggest con ever compared to the PC, mod friendly version!)much to my mates chagrin! Apart from that, you're right my Houghton and a truly open platform does allow for more quirks even if PSN/iiware/XBLA HAVE come a long way. the MW2 server debacle also worries me about PC gaming support and whether people at EA and Acti and the like want to squeeze our fun but as it is we have some great stuff that, contrary to popular console owner belief doesn't need a $4000 rig to play. I built my decent rig(with little tech knowledge-I'm a gamer not a PC nerd with much clue!)for Crysis for £450 with parts picked up hither and thither at good prices and have since upgraded a few bits and bobs, sound cards, an i7 and other doohickeys but even then didn't need to break the bank. All you need is a mate who has a clue and some patience-because any PC is unstable compared to consoles and Macs but these days it's better than it was even if we aren't getting the graphical/tech leaps we used to as more and more games appear on all systems with HD. Thing is you miss out a ,lot by not checking out PC gaming and if you're just getting interested or want to try it, why not have a go? Even a pretty average PC will run MOST games at a decemnt framerate f you do your settings right and alittle messing about might see you playing games that you never knew existed and didn't ever think you'd be able to run either. Have a go folks! I do think it's worth bearing in mind what I say about mouse and keyboard, mind, as it's not very realistic even in game and that very speed of action with m/K can drag some of us OUT of the action even while improving our effectiveness in the game and in MP I like to think that both me and the next guy have got basically the same tech these days-mainly since I stopped being so over competitive as I felt that maybe I was winning more because of the little edges I had going on tech and mouse wise. Never messed about for my own gain with console settings, though, honest!
  • HotCyder - July 13, 2010 7:39 p.m.

So, any PC gamers know a good computer that could run Valve stuff I could buy for just around £300? I'm definitely not interested in building my own computer.
  • 435 - July 13, 2010 7:47 p.m.

We multiplatform gamers welcome you back into the PC fold with open arms and open hearts. You may wish to do a full diagnostic on the machine, make sure everything's going good. Grab a copy of SpeedFan and check the SMART data on your drive and the overall temp of the internals. Dust that sucker out, of course. Ensure drivers are all up to date. Defrag. Etcetera. Etcetera. Etcetera. --- @HotCyder: I wish NewEgg had a UK equivalent. I'd send you there. ._.
  • Hydrohs - July 13, 2010 7:56 p.m.

I'm saving up for my own update at the end of the summer. Bringing my mid-range rig to high-end. Very excited for it. Hopefully you get all your problems sorted out. You could try verifying the game caches through Steam, might be a software problem you've got rather than hardware.
  • lilspooky - July 13, 2010 7:59 p.m.

@HotCyder Dont know if they are international but, cyberpowerpc.com ibuypower.com Sometimes you can get a good deal.
  • PaulieWaulie - July 13, 2010 8:27 p.m.

My first main gaming platform was PC and I stuck with it like a stubborn git for as long as I could. I too had those phases of leaving my PC to just functional chores, mostly work and then when and upgrade was needed I'd always be tempted to add an extra £80 for a better GPU but within a matter of weeks it was back to consoles. I write software all day, I sit at a PC all day, and sadly that's means battling with Windows all day. So when I get I get a chance to play games (now I'm getting older seems to be getting less) I relish in just sticking a disc in, turing it on and just playing (apart from waiting for the persistent firmware updates). No worrying about driver's, no wories about my hardware being out of date, I don't need to be neurotic about FPS, I just get what I'm given, if I don't like it then don't play it, there's so much more else out there. I Don't have to worry about getting that last little bit of juice out of my system, running task manager and killing any process I deem un important. I do see the appeal to PC gaming, I've known the appeal but it is just too much of a pain, too much stress and whilst you can get games cheaper that constant desire for new hardware really depletes funds very quickly and if you're shrewd and patient you can pick up console games fairly cheap. I do also have one major gripe with PC development, optimization is obviously minimal compared to console counter parts because it's not needed,I got sick of the attitude of PC Dev's, that opinion of "Either play our game in sub average settings or upgrade your kit you scab". Also with PC gaming there's not enough multiplayer gaming with people sat next you which in my opinion is the best way to play games. I do like the idea of Steam on PSN though :)
  • newgames128 - July 13, 2010 9:37 p.m.

Great article. It'll be nice to see some more PC focused articles/games showcased on the site too! Does the glitch happen only with Source games or any game? Older and newer? Could be anything, but the bottom line is even if you have to build a new rig, it will be worth it, and you'll have a leg up on the current consoles for the entirety of their remaining lifespan. PC gaming is only more expensive than consoles when you need to have the "latest and greatest" at all times. Other than that, PC gaming is by far the most cost-efficient option available, where you always can get more for the money spent.
  • Rowdie - July 13, 2010 9:39 p.m.

"The twitchy wireless connection wouldn’t say hello to the internet. Despite being RIGHT NEXT TO the router. Despite my laptop and 360 never having any problems connecting FROM A DIFFERENT ROOM. Head in hands. F*cking PCs." That's all the further I had to read before concluding your pain is of your own creation. A foot from a wired connection and you user wireless. Shame. Shame on you for not respecting yourself as a gamer. Shame on you for not respecting those you play with online. You should no longer refer to yourself as a gamer, but simply as a guy that plays video/computer games.
  • MaynardJ - July 13, 2010 11:19 p.m.

I'm about to get back into PC gaming, my brother is building me an 1,800 euro rig with a Solid State Drive and some more good stuff. I haven't been seriously into PC gaming for several years though (Vice City, Far Cry, Chaos Theory, No One Lives Forever 2 and Gun are the last titles I remember playing), and always was kind of an idiot when it came to maintenance. So, does anyone know a good website with n00b-friendly tips to keep this sucker fast? I know about defragmentation and dusting, but managing processes through the Task Manager and stuff like that are still a bit of a mystery to me.
  • Tomkins - July 13, 2010 11:24 p.m.

I miss the days when my mum would pay for me to upgrade my PC, I loved being a child. Oh well, I'll just stick to playing all of my titles from 2004 and earlier.
  • RebornKusabi - July 13, 2010 11:29 p.m.

Thanks to Valve, I too recently got a couple of PC games (...and "found" System Shock 2 online) and played them all recently. The keyword is "played" because for the first 3 days (weeks in System Shock 2's case) that I owned them, I had the great pleasure of trying to get them to run on my laptop. My laptop isn't weak... it was all "OS" bull**** and in the case of System Shock 2, it was the games architecture and design that hated me (and others like me) and Deus Ex 2, just very poor designing of the game itself when it came to the PC's. The fact that Deus Ex 2 has a vibration check is kind of indicative of this and I downloaded it from Steam so... what?!?! I dabble in PC gaming when something interesting catches my attention however that ultimately leads me to why I will always be a console gamer: Thanks to my education, I know what every part of the computer does and what it's specifically for as well. I also know that while I could hunt around and for a good price, I could build a mid-level to high-level gaming PC, I can also just spend less and get a console system for less and still pump out the same visuals as well. True, your Crysis will not be run-able on my console but 80% of your games will be run-able on it. Also, I won't have to worry about those niggling issues like OS support, ****ing with system settings so my game looks and sounds good and lastly, DRM >_> I will say this though for PC gamers, while your fanboy tendencies are insanely ****ing annoying and elitist at times, when their games are good, they're games like System Shock and Deus Ex. System Shock 2 has taken Mass Effect 2 down a notch as my absolute favorite game that I've played this year so far. I played it years ago but I played it again recently and it's seriously some good ****! While I still find the Fatal Frame series to be "scarier", it is definitely an insanely deep game, Shodan is hands-down one of the BEST VILLAINS I have ever been around in a video game, like ever and the soundtrack is probably the best techno music I've heard in a game since Bionic Commando: Rearmed; Hear for yourself in link one two (which is my favorite... and also plays during an incredibly hard part of the game...) and three. (MedSci) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bL7I_eWryI (Operations 2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XXZ9IpZoxk&feature=related (Command Deck) [Love the Hell out of this one since it blares up like it does in the song during a fight between you and a ton of enemies while trying to sabotage escape ships to keep The Many from infecting another ship] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiQHBGfYr0g Back to the topic, Deus Ex, which I previously played on PS2, is just as deep and far more amazing than anything I've played on the consoles in years (Morrowind and Oblivion don't count, their console ports have issues and most if not all pre-manufactured PC's sold in stores today can run them not only just fine but with high settings on as well). So when it comes down to it, PC games are definitely deeper than console games however unfortunately, more PC games are coming that are just as "bad" as console games and "bad" is written like that due to it being a completely preferential opinion lol OH and if you have to, just suffer through it like I did and try to get System Shock 2 running on your PC because it really did deserve far more attention from the public than it got...