• Rowdie - March 1, 2013 9:48 a.m.

I'm hoping those are triggers, with some actual throw, and not just two more shoulder buttons. Touch Pad seems worthless to me. Share is interesting. D-pad is broken, hopefully this one is better. Some other improvements look nice. It's wait and see time, expecting some improvement, but guessing they'll end up with the second best controller again and it's just a matter of how big the difference is.
  • avoidz - February 24, 2013 12:04 a.m.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Nintendo has the patent on the full cross D-pad, which is why PlayStation controllers are stuck with the segmented version.
  • CrashmanX - February 24, 2013 9:54 a.m.

Might be true, but PS2/PS3 actually have a full cross D-Pad. It just doesn't look connected on the surface level. It's actually one large plastic piece, not 4 individual ones.
  • SkyDragonc5 - February 22, 2013 12:44 a.m.

Why cant we just keep the Dual Shock 3? If it aint broke dont fix it. Plus I already have 6 ps3 controlers. 2 old sixaxis (No Rumble) 4 Dualshock 3s Nintendo has it right using the same thing this time around.
  • brickman409 - February 22, 2013 8:08 p.m.

I'm sure the ps4 will be backwards compatible with the dualshock 3. Because the design is not that much different. But it probably won't be supported in games that require the move and touch pad functions. I'm sure most games such as FPS games will support dualshock 3, I don't see why they wouldn't do that.
  • zelta38 - February 23, 2013 1:38 p.m.

It has been confirmed that the PS4 will not support Dualshock3, that's a big bummer. Given how they are pushing for these new controller features to work it makes sense though.
  • CrashmanX - February 24, 2013 9:56 a.m.

Man that blows. These things better not cost $40+ like the PS3 controllers. That's the fuckin worst. Get a console, Oh you don't have controllers? Pay $50 for each one! Congrats now you've paid for 1/2 the console in extra controllers!
  • jmcgrotty - February 21, 2013 9:24 p.m.

Oh, some of these freaking points are ridiculous and reek of ass-kissing. I can't help but go off on it. NO ONE will ever use the share button. It's the stupidest idea for a controller ever. If you say you're going to use it, you are either a liar, or you have issues. NO ONE will ever use the "let a friend take over remotely" garbage. Why would Sony waste time adding this? The colors on the light bar add nothing. You're talking about "party gaming" usage, and that's a non-issue. While you didn't praise the touchpad, why did you not blast it for being a useless tech? We are countless years into there being touchscreen gaming scenarios, and there has yet to be a single real use for it even yet. "it sounds like the PS4 Eye can match (if not outperform) the Kinect's capabilities." So? Why try to match a tech that is a 100% failure? There is no use for a headphone jack on the controller. There is no reason for you to not be playing a game muted, anyway. Speakers? See above. All this means is it will have added weight and size for useless features. I love Sony (believe it or not, even with what I've said here), but they went out of their way to make the new controller useless. Bring back the old DualShock
  • ARCHANGEL309 - February 22, 2013 6:42 a.m.

I'd didn't watch the entire presentation, but the share button could be used to upload YouTube videos for commentaries. And the LEDs are probably for splitscreen
  • brickman409 - February 22, 2013 8:10 p.m.

"There is no reason for you to not be playing a game muted, anyway." obvious troll, is obvious
  • MeanwhileGuy - February 23, 2013 8:24 a.m.

Please. Every single point here can be countered rather easily. I for one am going to use the shit out of that Share button. And I'm 100% not lying, nor do I have issues. Well done for having an utterly close minded "I'm right and don't care what anyone else says." attitude about it. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to record a certain bit of gameplay and show it to people, but never could without buying an expensive capture card and hooking that up to the console, on the off chance there'd be something worth recording. So no, it's not useless, and will probably lead to many more Let's Plays and game failure montages. No one will use the remote "take control" feature? Again, false. I remember back in the PS2 days and coming across a particularly hardcore boss in Kingdom Hearts. I couldn't get past it without wanting to throw the controller, so I simply gave it to a friend. He beat it, and I continued. Being able to do that without being in the same room will definitely be an advantage. And party gaming? Still a thing. I'd much prefer to get a bunch of people round and play something split-screen than play online with them. And the different colours will be both easier to differentiate between players and presumably a lot easier for the peripheral to sense. The touchpad could be interesting, though we haven't had any specific uses mentioned other than menus, but I can easily see it be used for things like aiming situations that require more precise movements than the sticks can offer. And because, like it or not, motion gaming is here to stay, and I'd prefer to use tech that actually works, rather than the disaster that's Kinect. As far as the headphone jack goes, it could possibly be used for a headset, or if you're having a late night gaming session and have to keep quiet for one reason or another, something I've personally done. Not too sure about the speakers, I'd have to hear the sound quality, but I can see some interesting possibilities with dialogue, and combining it with the improved rumble could be useful in terms of immersion. So, again, it's definitely not useless, and I can't wait to get my hands on one. Bring on Christmas 2013.
  • zelta38 - February 23, 2013 1:52 p.m.

Oh boy, you're either very frustrated or have an insanely limited view on things: 1. The share button can be used to take screenshots, although I'll probably never actually share that stuff online, that alone makes it worthwhile (me and many hordes of PC users keep folders of favorite screenshots numbering hundreds if not thousands courtesy FRAPS et al). Also, the tonnes of people making let's play, reviews and walkthrough vids (which this would help facilitate enormously) disagree with you. 2. Anyone needing some help can do so remotely, provided both users have a good net connection and a PS4, this is definitely something that could work and very well, you're being overly simplistic, not cognizant of how normal people play and harsh. 3. Have you even played a properly designed touch game? I prefer hardware buttons but designed for touch is its own valid gaming experience (Horn, Infinity Blade, even Fruit Ninja although given all the wining about party games that's probably not your type of game). Sure I don't like party games either, but it is still a popular genre of game for some people and if you call yourself even half a gamer you'd realise that the very wide scope and variety of gaming is what makes this just as valid as the next Mass Effect, just like there are movie types you may not like, so are there games - with an audience to match - deal with it . 4. While I'm not hot on controller-less gimmicks, the Kinect sold millions of units and was a raging success both in terms of sales and in terms of custom serious research hardware (google around a bit). 100% failure? Do some research before saying that (although I do agree that as a gaming device it is quite pathetic). 5. The colors may seem overkill, but if it is going to act like a free built-in move I really don't mind. How can you judge a feature you have never seen in action anyway? 6. No use for the headphone jack? Are you nuts? A wireless controller allowing you to plug in your headphone anywhere in the room is awesome! I don't do much multiplayer gaming but even to watch movies and playing games routing the sound like this is awesome if you don't want the sound blaring around disturbing the family at night (provided such functionality is included). For multiplayer this is great either way. We both like Sony but seriously, think before you post.
  • CrashmanX - February 24, 2013 9:50 a.m.

"NO ONE will ever use the share button. It's the stupidest idea for a controller ever. If you say you're going to use it, you are either a liar, or you have issues. " Streaming PS3 games. Don't need expensive ass Capture cards yo.
  • Frieza - February 21, 2013 2:22 p.m.

Hope it's not fragile, because that thing looks expensive as fuck. The controller itself looks good, but that doesn't mean it will be good when its released. I'm usually not bothered by controllers, no matter how crappy in design they are, but I won't get my hopes up yet. It looks like if one thing breaks on that controller, you might need to buy an entire new controller. I'm probably wrong, but its just a thought. I wonder what 3rd party hardware companies are going to brew up after the PS4's release...
  • zelta38 - February 23, 2013 1:55 p.m.

They probably had a heart attack looking at the kind of stuff they're going to have to figure out to include in their own versions and how that will impact their supply lines, manufacturing pipelines and margins given all the R&D required and the most likely high retail price of their initial (and very likely future) shipments.
  • sternparez - February 21, 2013 1:32 p.m.

I love this controller
  • talleyXIV - February 21, 2013 12:26 p.m.

No one has mentioned that this a huge copy of the Wii U? I mean honestly, another screen on a controller? I know it is smaller and is only a touchpad but still... Sony isn't exactly nonchalant when copying ideas. I.E. Move controllers looking exactly the same as a Wiimote and Nunchuk.
  • BladedFalcon - February 21, 2013 1:35 p.m.

You mean the same way Nintendo made an even more blatant copy of the 360 controller when they released their Wii U Pro Controller? At the very least Sony has kept the core design of it's own controller as the main basis and shape for the controller, Nintendo straight up copied the shape from a competitor, and just made a very awkward switch of the positions of buttons and sticks. Everyone in the industry is always ripping each other off. Ultimately, doesn't matter who implements an idea first, but who implements it better.
  • Arobadope - February 24, 2013 9:49 p.m.

Yeah....because you know....Nintendo didn't have a gamecube controller or anything /facepalm. You would have been smarter to use the Wii's Pro Controller over the Wii U's pro Controller, but I mean hey at least you made the, correct, point in saying everyone rips off everyone. Though the argument between Nintendo and Xbox ripping who off is slightly dumb since both GC and Xbox released roughly at the same time (GC released first in Japan technically, but the NA release saw only a 3 day spread), and both their controllers feature nearly the same layout, analog sticks slightly offset (C-stick is basically a second analog stick), 4 face buttons, two shoulder, etc.
  • BladedFalcon - February 25, 2013 7:57 a.m.

...I don't get what the GC controller has to do the fact that the Wii U Pro controller has the exact shape that the 360 controller has.