• talleyXIV - May 16, 2012 7:08 p.m.

You can play chess online in a multitude of places and some actually have very good graphics. Great job Vita, this is like selling food outside of a soup kitchen.
  • angelusdlion - May 17, 2012 8:27 a.m.

Or trolling on the internet?
  • NoAssociation - May 16, 2012 4:31 p.m.

I'm still addicted to Virtual Tennis 4, enjoyed Uncharted and will more than likely return to collect the hidden items, Montezuma Blitz has been a nice daily distraction (haven't spent any money on it), and Mutant Blobs Attack & Super Stardust were great value priced games. In other words I've loved playing my vita so far. I even picked up Escape Plan and haven't really played it due to lack of boredom. Sure I'd like to see a more consistent stream of great releases, but the launch was so solid I haven't been bored with the system yet. I can't wait to see what they announce at E3!
  • nemesisuprising - May 16, 2012 2:49 p.m.

I know im gunna be killed for saying this, but if they put ACTUAL work into, this would be cool for a yu-gi-oh game...lol...
  • crossed23 - May 16, 2012 2:21 p.m.

For those of us who enjoy indie games and third party titles, Vita has had a fantastic lineup so far. I've barely put the thing down since it released.
  • RandyChimp - May 16, 2012 noon

Funny really, I bought Pure Chess too and its my most played Vita game, and I also own Uncharted, Unit 13, Fifa and Super Stardust, so I've effectively paid £230 to play chess.
  • MidgardDragon - May 16, 2012 9:29 a.m.

Of course if you haven't played Mortal Kombat you COULD be playing it. It is a port but far from a dissapointing one. It's essentially one of the top tier games othe Vita.
  • spideralex90 - May 16, 2012 9:21 a.m.

This is why I'm wating for the inevitable Vita/Grand Theft Auto San Andreas(?) Stories bundle.
  • Shane86 - May 16, 2012 9:18 a.m.

Does it teaches idiots like me who don't know how to play chess the basic rules?
  • GR_JustinTowell - May 16, 2012 11:09 a.m.

Sure does :) It's quite simple really. Each piece type can only move a certain way. Any piece can take any piece, and if someone manages to take your king, it's game over. Simple to learn, pretty much impossible to master!
  • archnite - May 16, 2012 8:45 a.m.

You know Chestmaster had great music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqPX5J5xyqc
  • sourpunch - May 16, 2012 6:48 a.m.

Looked at this article and immediately grabbed my Vita to grab Pure Chess only to realize it is not out in the U.S. sad day...
  • GR_JustinTowell - May 16, 2012 9:15 a.m.

That is indeed sad. I've only got an EU PSN account, but I hear it's possible to set up another region. But I haven't tried that so don't quote me on it! I see on Twitter that the devs have been reading this very article, so hopefully they'll rectify the situation soon :)
  • FlagrantPilgrim - May 16, 2012 9:52 a.m.

Yeah, it's possible. My primary account is U.S., but I have a Japanese account that I use for demos, ha!
  • taokaka - May 16, 2012 5:56 a.m.

Is it really just a drought for vita games or a game drought in general, the other platforms seem to be battling the drought with a wealthy back catalogue though and the vita is struggling with just its launch titles. But anyway I was curious about this game after seeing two of the most hilariously over-dramatic trailers ever for it but decided against it at the time because my favourite childish chess tactic won't work on a computer, bluffing as I like to call it. It's a technique that evolved from straight out cheating in regular matches against a friend, what I would do is I would make an illegal move then watch what his strategy was for the next turn and then after he has made it say "too bad, my last move didn't count" and then I'd have the upper hand.
  • archnite - May 16, 2012 8:47 a.m.

Even sadder is if I remember right PSP went through the same thing, a big burst of games and then nothing. Awe-well, one more week and the deluge begins.
  • Hobogonigal - May 17, 2012 1:47 a.m.

Good job I'm nearly always teamed up with you in chess, although your tactic really annoys anyone we're against. Along with the old 'reappearing castle after it is taken' tactic.
  • Shadow Of Death - May 16, 2012 5:23 a.m.

I wanna try this game, but I'm in Canada and it seems we don't have this. I would guess that USA doesn't get it either. I haven't played chess in ages either, except some shitty flash game a while ago.
  • Cloudiology - May 16, 2012 5:01 a.m.

ah justin. you always manage to find awesomeness in the face of a desert.. i'm in the same boat as you but hadn't taken the risk. my vita does seem unused even though i enjoy a bit of BoF3 and gran turismo. but they're just ports. cheers for the heads up! also i love how you always love video games just that little bit more than most here..
  • bass88 - May 16, 2012 3:57 a.m.

Considering the "in" thing nowadays is slag off everything that Sony is affiliated with (even if they donated £5bn to charity many would still say "The 3DS is still selling more! WOOT! PS Vita sucks my greasy balls!"), it's refreshing to read an article that actually bothered to put some effort into research and into making a point without coming off as biased.